Closed Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish razor walkabout) ...

RE: Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish Heljestrand walkabout) ...

GOLDCREST said:
Thats a very impressive bit of razor work Mikael,you make it look so easy.......I wondered what you looked like,now we know

He looks like his avatar. But even more attractive! :heart:

Excellent vid Mikael, something to aspire to.

Pig Cat said:
He looks like his avatar. But even more attractive! :heart:

Excellent vid Mikael, something to aspire to.

Ohh, thank you Adam! You make me blush, such kind words ... but I shot this vid on a whim, really, nothing to talk about.

If anyone want, I could make vids about anything you ask (no Adam, not like that), if you're having trouble with a certain stroke or area. I could show you how I do it and maybe give suggestions how to move forward (it's very different how our faces are built though, as you clearly can see in the vid :)). If there's any interest.

Funny you should say that!

On your instruction I developed a face stretching pattern yesterday afternoon - triede it out withh my dulled razor. That'll work a treat, I decided!

This morning, however, as soon as I added lather to the scene, it all went tits up! Slipping and sliding, d'you see?

So - please make a vid about stretching one's face during a lathered shave. It has to be about 'walking' fingers behind the blade but I seem to need to pull downward in front of the blade.

Bechet45 said:
This morning, however, as soon as I added lather to the scene, it all went tits up! Slipping and sliding, d'you see?

So - please make a vid about stretching one's face during a lathered shave. It has to be about 'walking' fingers behind the blade but I seem to need to pull downward in front of the blade.

Sure thing, I'll do it tomorrow (was really simple to record a vid and it doesn't really take much time)... To be continued :)

So the razor arrived this morning. Thanks again for the loan Mikael. First go with it will likely be Thursday or otherwise Saturday. Nice little thing that looks just the right size to be pretty nimble around the face even for a beginner. So, I have a couple of newbie questions about stropping:

Do I need to strop the razor for the 2nd shave with it and each shave thereafter, or just every couple of shaves or so?
Carl's "strop" has a rougher and a smoother side...which side do I use or, if both, which order do I use them in?
Any idea how many laps will be needed?

Thanks in advance for the guidance. Looking forward to this!

^^ Good to hear :D

You need to get rid of the oil film I put over the edge (rinse with warm tap water and pad dry with towel) and then you can shave. After your first shave you strop, after you rinsed the razor and pad dried it, on the smoother leather side - please don't use any pressure on the strop (either), concentrate on having it flat against the strop, let the spine/back "lead" the way, the edge will follow.

Be careful and have fun!!

Vid clip is ready, but bloody Youtube seems to load forever (I've got a pretty fast connection, but last vid took 10 min, now it takes hours... ;))...

Okay, it only took 23 hours to up load the vid ;)
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/-bEuBjF_RaM[/video]

Fantastic video, you've done a good one mikael, it's tricky to explain stretching skin,because we do it without thinking, its a auto pilot thing with us. I shaved with my thiers Issard this morning its interesting to see somebody else shave with a straight, looking at the extremely light touch that is required, :heart:

Brilliant, Mikael! Thank you so very much! Another vid to keep referring back to as my technique improves and I'm ready to see the next step.

You make it all look so damned easy!

Cheers Carl! Never mind my last pass though, I don't think it's "by the book", so to speak and it's not advised for early on in your straight shaving journey.

I think you are right about not going ATG just yet, Mikael - need to buy a razor with rubber-like retraction capabilities in the blade, such as you must have been using.

Thanks for the effort putting that vid up Mikael - very helpful. You just joined me and the missus in bed!! :blush: Seriously, sat here in bed watching that vid in prep for having my first go with a straight razor in the AM (time permitting), whilst my better half reads a book on meditation and keeps giving me incredulous looks!! :dodgy:

Thank you and you're welcome! Well, I hope she'll get over my ugly mug and that you'll do well (a couple of weepers are okay in my book, even small cuts, the first time around ... it's like that to pop the cherry, a little blood's okay, you know :D)

It's not that bad going ATG with a straight, as long as your lather is good. I have been straight shaving for 3 months, and have been going ATG for more than one month, possibly close to two months.

/Max

Well done Max! Lather's important too, I find the more slippery kind works better for straights, rather than tons of cushion effect - lanolin's never wrong.

If anyone wants to get pointers for something, I can always make another vid, it's really very simple to do (the up loading part at youtube takes longer than anything else, but I don't have to be around for up loading :D).

Back
Top Bottom