Overrated products.

i found feather blades a cut below the rest :icon_rolleyes:

and after a few purchases of vintage gillette razors :heart:, a couple of which shave like a dream, i can honestly say that my very sexy ej89 is a truly jilted lover, & will gather dust eternally :icon_razz: rick.

antdad said:
...and I could'nt spel back then either.

Well done Tony, on the improvement,

Shows what your capable of doing because of you're motivation.

Congrats!

Martin

antdad said:
The Gilllette toggle...good investment Henk.

That's true. I've had this nice condition Toggle about three years now and I could probably get three times what I paid for the thing.

Martin

The local flea market vendor's final selling price was $12, which I thought was fairly reasonable.

The boar hate is pretty misplaced IMHO. But I can understand part of it. Semogues are very poor brsuhes with nice handles. I've had 6 and the only one that doesn't suck is the 1305. They're floppy, finnicky and overpriced. The recent LE boars are having a lend. A big one.

Omegas however are another story. I've got 4 of those and they are all cracking brushes. How can a $10 brush be overrated? I have 3 Simpsons to rate them against, and while it is preference, I will pull out the Omegas most days of the week. I much prefer them for soaps. They load easily, they're soft but provide a good massage and they make loads of lather. What more do you want for your $10? The Simmos are purely an exercise in luxury IMO. I like them, but having dropped $200 on 3 of them - it's too much coin.

As for break in and test lathers, that's the ritualistic domain of US fanboi forums, where coincidentally enough, the Semogues are touted endlessly. When you're familiar with using boars, they don't need break in. All my Omegas produced top notch lather right out of the box, they just got a bit softer over a week or so. Semogues can be more finnicky new or used. Why, I don't know.

antdad said:
The Gilllette toggle...good investment Henk.

Oh, I don't know, it's a decent shaver. It originally drew my attention as a slightly easier razor than a TTO for a college who only has one hand. He wasn't interested so I decided to keep it for myself.

Besides, the finish/condition isn't good enough to try and sell it on anyway. I'm hanging on to it...

Gillette Fatboy - even tried three to make sure.

I've discovered the tto type razors just don't give me a comfortable shave. In fact every vintage razor I've used has given a sub par shave. They'll all be making an appearance on bst shortly.

Agree to the most, except for MWF - I get an amazing lather from it with no more effort than with any other soap (well, Scottish water contributes too I guess).

My input - DR Harris creams and T&H.

Helveticum said:
My input - DR Harris creams and T&H.

I wouldn't say they were over rated as much as they are over priced.

I find Taylor's creams to be equal to DRH and T&H (and Trumpers for that matter) performance wise, for nearly half the price per pot.

I'll still buy certain lines in them though, based on scent. If Taylor's did a Coconut as good as GFT and something similar to T&H Trafalgar, then maybe I could stick solely with TOBS.

PavlovsDog said:
I wouldn't say they were over rated as much as they are over priced.

I find Taylor's creams to be equal to DRH and T&H (and Trumpers for that matter) performance wise, for nearly half the price per pot.

I'll still buy certain lines in them though, based on scent. If Taylor's did a Coconut as good as GFT and something similar to T&H Trafalgar, then maybe I could stick solely with TOBS.

Well, I've heard enough hype to call them overrated. Anyway, nothing I've tried so far, including all sorts of higher-end stuff comes near a simple Proraso cream for me performance-wise. Scents - agree, T&Hs are really great (need to try more GFT stuff sometime..), as well as the Cade and many others, but they just don't perform for me as good.

P.S. I'll strongly disagree regarding earlier comment about slants being overrated - it's by far the most effective razor I have used. Just don't load it with Feathers :)

Re: RE: Overrated products.

mstrunck said:
andyjreid said:
Method shaving and all it's expensive ecoutrements

So I take it you have actually tried the Hydrolast products? How about a review?

Not that I would ever attack my face like Charles Roberts, but I have to say that I am a bit curious if the products can live up to the claims he is making.

/Max

No I haven't but I refuse to pay all that money to essentially hack my face. Would you prefer if I said I think the act of method shaving is overrated?

It just seems like too much faff. Razor, blade, brush, soap and aftershave. 2 passes. Done.

If you were wanting to speak to someone who has used the products then sign up to B&B they have or at least had a dedicated place in their forum for method shavers. Don't expect an unbiased opinion though.

andyjreid said:
mstrunck said:
andyjreid said:
Method shaving and all it's expensive ecoutrements

So I take it you have actually tried the Hydrolast products? How about a review?

Not that I would ever attack my face like Charles Roberts, but I have to say that I am a bit curious if the products can live up to the claims he is making.

/Max

No I haven't but I refuse to pay all that money to essentially hack my face. Would you prefer if I said I think the act of method shaving is overrated?

It just seems like too much faff. Razor, blade, brush, soap and aftershave. 2 passes. Done.

If you were wanting to speak to someone who has used the products then sign up to B&B they have or at least had a dedicated place in their forum for method shavers. Don't expect an unbiased opinion though.

Well, we are all human, and all different, so I was expecting a somewhat biased review, no matter where I read it :)

/Max

RobTheWire said:
Gillette Yellow never had a sharp one yet :dodgy:.
Mitchells wool fat.

One man's blade is another man's sandpaper. I like Yellows a lot.

Never got one decent lather out of MWF. Any soap that takes this much getting used to simply isn't worth it.

Smell The Glove said:
Badger brushes

Overpriced? Anything to do with this malarky that costs over 20 quid.

I'm a boar man, but have a few badgers, all Simpson's. On a $/performance basis badgers are overrated for sure. When I was using Semogues, the badgers always outdid them for making lather, and I assumed that was a badgers strength. When I tried Omegas, the badgers were left behind in all departments.

Semogue boars. Overpriced, overrated, finnicky and underperforming; uberfloppy. You can make that X100 with the 2011 LEs. Are they having the biggest lend in shavedom since the 5 bladed vibrating handle? I've had 6 and the only one worth anything is the 1305. Nice handles though.

Back
Top Bottom