Overrated products.

I don't mind The Body Shop's Maca Root shave cream, but I ready don't have much to compare it to. I'm okay with the smell now. I've come to associate it with the smell of shaving, so it brings a smile to my face.

My nomination for overrated product is Taylor of Old Bond Street's aftershave gel. It leaves a sticky film on my face and doesn't soothe my skin. And it's pricey. However, I do like their Eton College aftershave lotion.

Have to agree on Maca root. Great performance but PIFfed it to my other half as can't stand the smell. Don't worry, on her it's still an improvement (gasp). And although I love the TOBS shaving shop aftershave gel smell it is a bit sticky and doesn't soothe as much as menthol proraso, which is cheaper ml for ml.

I nominate super iridium blades as over-hyped. They are a very good, smooth, long lasting blade. But for the money they command they are not worth it in my opinion. Not when there are excellent 7 o'clock blades still in production and Polsilvers have near identical performance but are much cheaper. Not knocking the very good iridiums, just the 'unobtanium' mentality. Might be an unpopular stance though.

Gillette "swedes". Decent blade but no better than a 7 o'clock, the legendary reputation is not deserved. I think sometimes when something's no longer available it ramps up interest and some people get a bit misty eyed over how good it was, old girlfriends are similar... nostalgia has a lot to answer for!

Yellow Jim said:
SEs.
Mama Bears.

I can't see this post going down well with JohnnyO.

Got to agree with Mama Bears soap. A bit of a sod to get an good lather from and although the scents do seem spot on, they leave my face feeling a bit sore. Give me Nanny's anytime.
As far as SE's are concerned, I've really taken a liking to them, but I think Yellow Jim knows that already.:icon_razz:

Canuck said:
Gillette "swedes". Decent blade but no better than a 7 o'clock, the legendary reputation is not deserved. I think sometimes when something's no longer available it ramps up interest and some people get a bit misty eyed over how good it was, old girlfriends are similar... nostalgia has a lot to answer for!
Same principle as what I said then. And like old girlfriends, if you want to have a go with one every now and then you will pay dearly for it!

Dipesh said:
Yellow Jim said:
The EJ/Muhle head. The finish is great on them but it's just too mild for my liking. I don't want to do 4 passes.

2011 R41 is the answer Jim. Done in 2 passes.

I've thought about it mate, but I still do quite like my face and wouldn't mind keeping it. That thing scares me.

The old adage YMMV is spot on, Iridium Super blades gave me loads of irritation. While the decried Maca Root cream is one of my favourites because I love the fragrance and it performance.

Feather AS-D1 razor.

All straight razors (not including the Feather no-sharpen variety).

Mama Bears Soaps.

These, of course, are my opinions based upon what I have found when I have tried these products.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom