Overrated products.

andyjreid said:
Method shaving and all it's expensive ecoutrements

So I take it you have actually tried the Hydrolast products? How about a review?

Not that I would ever attack my face like Charles Roberts, but I have to say that I am a bit curious if the products can live up to the claims he is making.

/Max

mstrunck said:
andyjreid said:

So I take it you have actually tried the Hydrolast products? How about a review?

Not that I would ever attack my face like Charles Roberts, but I have to say that I am a bit curious if the products can live up to the claims he is making.

/Max

Jeez Max there's always one and you might be another, Roberts is a snake oil salesman and there are plenty of past threads here that have deconstructed what he trys to sell.

antdad said:
mstrunck said:
andyjreid said:

/Max

Jeez Max there's always one and you might be another, Roberts is a snake oil salesman and there are plenty of past threads here that have deconstructed what he trys to sell.

Yes that's true. I know Henk gave his view on the whole Hydrolast thing from a chemist's point of view. Here is the thread with his post:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=8135&pid=47461#pid47461

To quote him - "a devious way to sell a standard shaving soap as an ultra-premium product, by separating it into partial components that need to be combined to get the desired result..."

Marcel said:
Arko and Tabac, how can people stand the smell of those?

Man, ain't that the truth. The Arko smells like some kinda industrial strength toilet bowl cleaner and the Tabac has a strong scent of dead things.

We are sympatico!

Martin

antdad said:
mstrunck said:
andyjreid said:

/Max

So far all I have read, is threads stating that he has a concept which is really counter intuitive, and that he uses a million strokes. All true, but I have not yet read the review of his products. Apart from a video by Mantic59, stating that some of the products are quite good, but the concepts of method shaving is best suited for people who can't get consistent results in other ways.

I might have just not found the other threads yet, so a pointer would be nice.

Thanks.

/Max

mstrunck said:
I might have just not found the other threads yet, so a pointer would be nice.

Thanks.

/Max

Take a look at the thread I link to above ^^. It had been separated from another thread so the beginning doesn't make much sense.

Back in '09 I was a rather OTT. Those were in my crazy pre-mod days. :blush:

Thanks for that PC! That was a good read.

Still there are no real reviews, other than the theoretical ones. Well, apart from the moisturizer.

I agree with all, it seems silly, but what if the products actually make better "mix"? I mean as Henk stated, there are plenty of soaps which are essentially the same formulation, some just produced in great numbers in standardized ways, with standardized products, and other more artisanal products. But not a lot of difference. Still we can read at length at these boards about the difference in the lather that comes from different soaps. Why is that, if there is really no difference? Is it the method of production? Does small changes in ingredients really account for so much.

This is where I can't help to think: What if the lather actually becomes better with this process, regardless you feel like an idiot combining 117 steps to make lather?

And so far no reports on that lather...

/Max

Feather Blades; rough as a badgers bum

MWF; I suspect it's liked because it has to be really worked to get anything half decent and the extra work required is the secret.

Boar Brushes; Yup, not met one as good as a badger yet.

The Mama Bears results I found interesting, I find it very easy to use, thick lather and very slick, might be the soft water up here.

Back
Top Bottom