Ok, you win, recommend me a hard soap please …

Are any of these hard soaps which have been mentioned particularly effective with very hard water? I'm assuming that it's true that hard water can cause problems with lathering. (Being new to this I have no experience)

Are any of these hard soaps which have been mentioned particularly effective with very hard water? I'm assuming that it's true that hard water can cause problems with lathering. (Being new to this I have no experience)

A tip I was given is to use bottled water. We all have our own methods but 5ml of bottled water, and a dry brush produces a rich lather

Trumpers Violet in a bowl.

Ignore the haters who don't know how to load hard soap and thus fail miserably with it,

Great package (the bowl is superb)
Smells great,
Performance is great as well (when loaded properly).

It is a HARD puck.

Other than that, Tobs platinum.
Crap bowl, smells ok and is a bit stingy in size but its a fantastic performer.

I've been enjoying hard soaps recently ...

Naturally, MWF as it's my favourite soap. I have the UFO bowl L'Occitane Cade, which I can whole-heartedly recommend. I have a vintage bowl of Culmak that's very nice indeed but unsure how that compares to the current market offering ... anyway, vintage is easy enough to come by if you keep your eyes peeled. On vintage, I have a huge stack of vintage ... but back to what you can actually buy, I've been using DR Harris most recently and enjoying that very much as well. Just tonight I enjoyed a shave with T&H Sandalwood and think I'm very much going to enjoy that soap.

So, that's my quick run through traditional hard soaps that I think are good and that folks would enjoy.

I would like to ask a second (related) question in here ...

We gather than a number of the London houses (you know, Trumpers, DR Harris, T&H, Floris, Taylors, etc) have used Soap Works for their formulation and there has been some ciriticism that (at some point) these soaps have been considered unlatherable. I have direct experience a few years ago of Trumpers Eucris, which no matter what I did I just could not get a good lather from it. Other folks have levelled similar complaint at some of those names.

So, finding DR Harris perfectly good and now finding T&H perfectly good, putting that together with a comment that there has been some reformulation ... I wonder if anyone has tried a Trumpers soap recently? Better still if someone has and also has in the past, what are the comparisons?

About 80% of the soaps I use are hard triple milled soaps as they are my preference, DR Harris, Tabac, MWF, Pre de Provence etc. I bought a vintage puck of Trumpers Rose off the Bay but unfortunately when it arrived it was Limes and a more recent formulation. The seller was great and told me to keep it and he’d send me the Rose immediately. The scent of the Limes had changed into something that bore little resemblance to lime and although it was very slick the lather would dissipate no matter how much soap I loaded on the brush. The Rose arrived and it was like day and night, a wonderful scent and lathers up an absolute treat. Looking at the box the first ingredient is potassium palmate, I’m not educated in what makes a good soap but I’m sure I read somewhere that this makes a difference (I could be wrong though).

I love the scents of the 3T’s and try and support UK companies but I am reluctant to take a chance on them if they are substandard as they aren’t cheap. I too would love to hear if anyone has tried the current offerings from the traditional British soap makers and could share their opinions. I know DR Harris are very good as are Cyril Salter.

Regarding Trumpers, reports are the current crop is good!

The current ingredient list is: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Isopropyl Myristrate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Hydroxycitronellal, Tetrasodium EDTA, Coconut Fatty Acid, BHT, Linalool, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77718 (Talc), CI 73360 (Red 30)

... and a previous ingredient list (which I'll assume is the problematic formulation): Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua (Water), Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Tetrasodium ETDA, Sodium Chloride, Isopropyl Myristrate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Hydroxycitronellal, Tetrasodium Etidronate, BHT, Talc, Linalool, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 73360 (Red 30)

Both have Sodium Palmate as the primary ingredient, so perhaps the advice to look for that ingredient is now outdated.

Can anyone who has a problematic puck confirm the ingredients as those which I have listed?

I think I'm set on a Trumpers Rose puck now ... and will buy direct from them.

I’m afraid I got rid of the box that my duff Trumpers Limes came in but it’s good to hear that Trumpers seem to have sorted the formulation out at last. I’m a big fan of their scents so fingers crossed. Their Rose is fantastic scent wise.

Here is a photo of Trumpers Rose with Potassium Palmate as it’s first ingredient, it’s a very good soap.

785B6FBC-12D2-4A8D-8677-0A75820DA562.jpeg

Regarding Trumpers, reports are the current crop is good!

The current ingredient list is: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Isopropyl Myristrate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Hydroxycitronellal, Tetrasodium EDTA, Coconut Fatty Acid, BHT, Linalool, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77718 (Talc), CI 73360 (Red 30)

... and a previous ingredient list (which I'll assume is the problematic formulation): Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua (Water), Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Tetrasodium ETDA, Sodium Chloride, Isopropyl Myristrate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Hydroxycitronellal, Tetrasodium Etidronate, BHT, Talc, Linalool, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 73360 (Red 30)

Both have Sodium Palmate as the primary ingredient, so perhaps the advice to look for that ingredient is now outdated.

Can anyone who has a problematic puck confirm the ingredients as those which I have listed?

I think I'm set on a Trumpers Rose puck now ... and will buy direct from them.
I'm interested in how you get on with the new soaps, as I'd love a performing Trumpers soap bowl. I've used a few refills before and they really were shite.

Trumpers Officer & Gentleman and Oxford Blue mug soaps appear to have a different formulation to their scented soaps. Looking at the ingredient list, it is the exact same ingredient set as Truefitt & Hill state for their current offerings.

Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Parfum (Fragrance), Palm Kernel Fatty Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Linalool, Coumarin, Geraniol, Limonene, Cinnamal, Citronellol, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

The T&H Sandalwood that I've just taken possession of is this ingredient set and lathers up a treat!

Back
Top Bottom