Ok, you win, recommend me a hard soap please …

Shame, makes you wonder what the people at Trumpers are doing. Their other products have a very good reputation, you'd think they would try and get the soap working or just stop selling it.
By email I asked if they would ensure that I received a puck of the (new) formula as listed on the website and as part of that correspondence, they said that they had received no complaints about the new formula.

Given what you can read on Amazon for recent purchases, I find that very hard to believe.

Alas, I think they have their eyes shut, hands over their ears and shouting "I can't hear you!" :whistle:

By email I asked if they would ensure that I received a puck of the (new) formula as listed on the website and as part of that correspondence, they said that they had received no complaints about the new formula.

Given what you can read on Amazon for recent purchases, I find that very hard to believe.

Alas, I think they have their eyes shut, hands over their ears and shouting "I can't hear you!" :whistle:
A crying shame, so it is.

Thanks for biting the bullet and giving such a thorough review @pjgh. Why bother to reformulate the soap if there is no improvement? Surely It can’t be hard to emulate what Salter/DR Harris are doing. I’ll either stick to their creams or get the soaps from T&H, TOBS or DR Harris. Trumpers fragrances are superb in my opinion so will just stick to them. I wonder how many tourists visit their shop buy a shaving soap in a lovely wooden bowl only to be disappointed with it and never buy another Trumpers product as they will assume the are overpriced rubbish relying on their name?

I was really hoping the new formula would be good so I could get a Eucris bowl and be pleased with it. Maybe I'll skip the whole soap and get the splash.

I have the EDT in the crown stopper bottle and it's really nice to pat on rather than spritz. I think the EDP is a spritzer. It is a super scent and I very disappointed that hard soap is still a dud. The cream is worth buying as well. At present, they're doing a buy two items of Eucris and get a Bath & Shower Gel free!

I've not used the Skin Food (not my kinda thing) but did get a bottle of the hair tonic ... again, not my thing as it was too oily for my liking.

@NeilJ

Drumroll ...

AL9nZEWwvnBrBj8gVFmCIlpjibBAgvcJFFZxbFwPVlfX5sziZREVpUOOEdwlkcRgJTeF2_p85MyIfyL5qOh3X7y3WeC0opPITJRbZ4DL-cHQ_o9PUZKFPvzYe5tVaVDScsSEmEE8VYs4FIWi0pVTgG6bOt0X4g=s800

AL9nZEXrlRMDSO9LGoSgmfbtrOW6CEkaatAfTRTlTH2wjxTz_MNIMj4Lee90Hvjkjfxl9vPKp8MQlZBoRXx0KI97GUtwdgRVGYF7GpuCStBAOy34oHBU-w-4M0flxyzw3eQwbzuGOx8hMqWaSRRk8GZLilz3hA=s800

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Isopropyl Myristate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Coconut Fatty Acid, Evernia Furfuracea, BHT, Coumarin, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

... and confirming Glycerin as an ingredient, missing in the blurb on their website.

So, a different ingredient set to the unlatherable Eucris that I bought maybe 5 or 6 years ago, which was: Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua (Water), Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Tetrasodium ETDA, Sodium Chloride, Isopropyl Myristrate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Evernia Furfuracea, BHT, Coumerin, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

Proper Evernia Furfuracea still in it ... I can smell it and it's like cat nip to me!

Dry puck in my hand and just a tiny amount of water filling the little divet in the back of the soap. Dry brush, start to load and I heard a heart-sinking foaming noise but it passed and I kept loading and adding water as I went to build up what I thought was a pretty good loading and even proto-lather on my brush.

Super! I'd already washed my face and gave it another splash of hot water ... on with the soap.

... and it started to lather up quite nicely! Overpaintable, even?

... and then it did what I feared it would. On my face it then foamed up and dissipated.

Trying to rescue the situation, I rubbed the puck on my face like a shaving stick and re-lathered. Again, thick lather, overpaintable ... and again, it foamed up and disappeared.

Damn it! I had such high hopes seeing that the formula is not different. Damn it again, given my very positive experience of T&H with an equally poor reputation rescued by the reformulation of their soaps (that's a keeper, by the way).

Still. Not. Fit. For. Purpose.

I had my suspicions as earlier in the week, I revisited that puck of Bulldog shaving soap which is sitting in a plastic bag while a more deserving soap occupies its lovely bamboo bowl. The ingredient list for Bulldog starts the same way: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Limonene, Parfum (Fragrance)*, Camelina Sativa Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Glucomannan, Linalool, Coconut Fatty Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (GreenTea) Leaf Extract ... and deviates after the main ingredients.

... but it'll make a nice bath soap.

Damn it!
Huff! I give up ...

History. My first puck of Eucris was a serious disappointment as it simply did not lather. I ended up cutting it 50/50 with Palmolive in the hope of retaining some scent and improving its latherability. It didn't work.

Today. This new puck got some treatment ...

Knowing 1:1 was not enough, surely 1:2 would be okay, but then with Eucris forming the single part against two parts of donor soap would it still be Eucris? It would if I pepped it up with a couple of drops of EDT in the base before re-loading the fine grated soap.

The donor soap was LEA new formula, probably the most instantly latherable soap I own, with minimal interfereing scents be it perfume or ingredients and not changing the characteristics of Eucris as a non-tallow soap ... but (as those to purport to know about soap, who'd say "where's the potassium, man?") with potassium as not only one but two of the highest listed ingredients. Surely that would work?

Alas, it didn't ...

Eucris is truly anti-lather. It (and presumably other Trumpers hard soaps based on the same formula) kills lather. It will make some lather but it decays almost instantly as it foams and then dissipates. I can even see tell-tale bubble marks on the bristles themselves when the brush is put aside.

True to its dark character Eucris is the very curse of shaving soap, sucking out its lathery soul leaving it all pale and wan! There, "wan", and the first time a lather has been described as wan. I betcha!

597ec05219fa40a60851e84575bffa92.jpg

Back
Top Bottom