Closed Muhle R41 Razor COMPLETE

RE: Muhle R41 Razor

Could I please be added to the list, I've got to get this monkey off my back at some point so it may as well be sooner than later.

Thanks a lot Dick for this pass around.

Well I used the R41 this morning. I've used some mild razors in my time but I can safely say this is the most aggressive razor I've tried! Too much for me so it'll be ready to post on Monday. PM me your address Jamie and I'll send it to you.

Thank you Dick for kindly letting me try this beast!

simmo3801 said:
Well I used the R41 this morning. I've used some mild razors in my time but I can safely say this is the most aggressive razor I've tried! Too much for me so it'll be ready to post on Monday. PM me your address Jamie and I'll send it to you.

Thank you Dick for kindly letting me try this beast!

I was horrified by my first shave with the R41, but with a bit of time got used to it and quite like using it every so often.

I'm not sure that I could perform 5 or more consecutive shaves with it, though!

Ian

Just realised that I never left my feedback here.. Shame on me :blush:

It's a great razor. I personally didn't encounter any problems with aggressiveness at all, but then again I'm a devout slant and OCMM user, that keeps your technique disciplined. Would I get myself one? Well, I didn't find it more efficient than my slant, so maybe just for kicks someday. Otherwise - great experience, and thanks for sharing it with us!

Well this morning was not fun!

What a god awful contraption, how anyone can enjoy using this is beyond me. I can only think that some crazy guy in Muhle's design department is in to self harming/S&M or they made a mistake and the cost of the tooling was so great they had to sell them anyway and pretend it was meant to be like that.

The handle is nice, albeit a bit light, but the cap and guard (I loosely use that term) serve no purpose at all, I may as well of nailed a blade to the end of a stick.

Was all the pain and suffering worth it, no is the simple answer. Not a particularly close shave and it's now 8 hours after the shave and it's still just lots of soreness and irritation. Makes the Gillette Old Type feel like a pussy cat.

Before anyone says, bend your arm more, lean it back a bit or use less pressure, let me say me technique is pretty sorted. I can pick up any one of my 120+ razors and shave with them without dislocating my shoulder or ending up like Edward Scissorhands and trust me, there's some brutes in the arsenal. I use closed and open comb slants on a regular basis without issue and don't see the point of something this aggressive for an inferior result.

I can get a far closer, smoother shave from a HD500 or an Aristocrat Junior or virtually any old razor you care to mention with zero irritation. In fact I could probably get a better shave from a broken bottle.

All this thing has done is further strengthen my belief that all modern razors are sub par (that's the edited description). 3d virtual CAD room's, CNC machines, advanced chemical finishes and they come out with this!

They don't make em like they used to, vintage rules!

It's safe to say I'll be sending this along to the next victim very shortly and thanks goes to Dick for saving me from splashing out my own dosh on one of these. May I suggest that when the last person has used this it's sent to the torture museum in Amsterdam for posterity.

Of course YMMV and this could be just your cup of tea, just my rant for the day :icon_wink:

Jamies said:
Well this morning was not fun!

What a god awful contraption, how anyone can enjoy using this is beyond me. I can only think that some crazy guy in Muhle's design department is in to self harming/S&M or they made a mistake and the cost of the tooling was so great they had to sell them anyway and pretend it was meant to be like that.

The handle is nice, albeit a bit light, but the cap and guard (I loosely use that term) serve no purpose at all, I may as well of nailed a blade to the end of a stick.

Was all the pain and suffering worth it, no is the simple answer. Not a particularly close shave and it's now 8 hours after the shave and it's still just lots of soreness and irritation. Makes the Gillette Old Type feel like a pussy cat.

Before anyone says, bend your arm more, lean it back a bit or use less pressure, let me say me technique is pretty sorted. I can pick up any one of my 120+ razors and shave with them without dislocating my shoulder or ending up like Edward Scissorhands and trust me, there's some brutes in the arsenal. I use closed and open comb slants on a regular basis without issue and don't see the point of something this aggressive for an inferior result.

I can get a far closer, smoother shave from a HD500 or an Aristocrat Junior or virtually any old razor you care to mention with zero irritation. In fact I could probably get a better shave from a broken bottle.

All this thing has done is further strengthen my belief that all modern razors are sub par (that's the edited description). 3d virtual CAD room's, CNC machines, advanced chemical finishes and they come out with this!

They don't make em like they used to, vintage rules!

It's safe to say I'll be sending this along to the next victim very shortly and thanks goes to Dick for saving me from splashing out my own dosh on one of these. May I suggest that when the last person has used this it's sent to the torture museum in Amsterdam for posterity.

Of course YMMV and this could be just your cup of tea, just my rant for the day :icon_wink:

Greetings,
I just laughed and laughed reading your review, which echo my feelings about this razor exactly, I think it's bloody awful!

Well that's it the R41 has done the rounds and I think that it is fair to say that it is not a razor for most people. It seems to me there are three groups of opinion.

a) Those that really like it and have no issues with it.

b) Those that can shave with it, but the shave requires so much thought and care that it is not worth the effort and thus not a practical daily razor.

c) Those who find that it makes their whole face sore (the group I am in) or it cuts them up, but in either event would not have it as a gift!

Is there anybody else who would like to try this razor....final call!

Regards
Dick (Still laughing in Norfolk)

After Jamie's review, I do now feel honour bound to see what this monster is like after all, a blade nailed to a stick is basically a straight isn't it? ;). Could I be added to the list please.

Group B here, I love it and it shaves superbly well, but admittedly I couldn't use it every day, it does take some concentration and it's built for clearing long stubble and proper half beard choppage. A blade on a stick is not far off, some liken it to a straight.
I'm taking issue with Jamie's very funny review however, he just needs to get used to the ultimate in aggressive and if it's not for him then he needs to man up a bit. He can't be doing all these old brassy things and pretending that's the pinnacle of rooarrrr, and then get all shocked when a proper razor comes along. :icon_razz:

;-)

Back
Top Bottom