Merkur Progress "Digress"

From memory, the mod costs £55, or you can buy a 'turn key' version for around £90... I think they are launching their new web site in a matter of weeks - could be wrong though?

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Ant Smith has recently done a Youtube video describing the Digress. An interesting review.

I agree with him, if you're going to buy a Progress you might as well pimp your ride and make it a thing of beauty. If you already have a Progress it's a tough decision to fork out a lot of dosh for another razor which will perform the same.

fancontroller said:
Ant Smith has recently done a Youtube video describing the Digress. An interesting review.

I agree with him, if you're going to buy a Progress you might as well pimp your ride and make it a thing of beauty. If you already have a Progress it's a tough decision to fork out a lot of dosh for another razor which will perform the same.

Nice to see a 'real' shaving video where the guy actually cuts himself! Felt much better after seeing that... :)

fancontroller said:

If you already have one you could just send it into the Gentlemans Groom Room and have the knob retro fitted I believe.

Save forking out for a second Progress..... And it is certainly worth it!

Regards,

Cyril

Well I tried to resist, honestly I did, but I have now digressed and am very happy to have done so! I wish that I'd tried a progress a long time ago, they are superb shavers and with the brass fitting it really looks the business. It might even cure my RAD for a short while...

The photographs are not that great but hopefully you can see the razor well enough... I got my Digress for Christmas:

My first impression was “WOW – great craftsmanship: each flute is identical to the next, zero machining marks and a very elegant design (the proportions)”. I really can't emphasise enough how good the craftsmanship of this is. There must be a lot of hand-finishing to get the finish this good, it's actually far better than the handle itself!
My second impression was “this is heavy!” The Progress was never a lightweight anyway and with the SS knob it becomes a bit of a juggernaut! At first I struggled with the extra length and weight and my first few shaves were OK, but I always thought that the Progress shaves were brilliant. Now that I've got 10+ shaves done with it, I have learnt how to use it again and it shaves brilliantly – just like a high class Progress. I think the balance is different to how I remember the Progress though, that might be just my imagination but I'm not sure. I now use Alum to get a better grip on the handle.

In summary I now have a beautiful razor that shaves brilliantly. I think the Aluminium would make the balance closer to the plastic original, but I chose the SS as I knew there's no risk of corrosion. Has anyone got an Alu one? If so has the finish changed?

If you think your Progress is a great razor and the plastic knob annoys you, then send it off to get it Di-gressed.

p.b said:

[
The photographs are not that great but hopefully you can see the razor well enough... I got my Digress for Christmas:

My first impression was “WOW – great craftsmanship: each flute is identical to the next, zero machining marks and a very elegant design (the proportions)”. I really can't emphasise enough how good the craftsmanship of this is. There must be a lot of hand-finishing to get the finish this good, it's actually far better than the handle itself!
My second impression was “this is heavy!” The Progress was never a lightweight anyway and with the SS knob it becomes a bit of a juggernaut! At first I struggled with the extra length and weight and my first few shaves were OK, but I always thought that the Progress shaves were brilliant. Now that I've got 10+ shaves done with it, I have learnt how to use it again and it shaves brilliantly – just like a high class Progress. I think the balance is different to how I remember the Progress though, that might be just my imagination but I'm not sure. I now use Alum to get a better grip on the handle.

In summary I now have a beautiful razor that shaves brilliantly. I think the Aluminium would make the balance closer to the plastic original, but I chose the SS as I knew there's no risk of corrosion. Has anyone got an Alu one? If so has the finish changed?

If you think your Progress is a great razor and the plastic knob annoys you, then send it off to get it Di-gressed.

If you ever get bored with that beauty, fell free to PM me & I'll offer to take it off your hands, she's gorgeous...

This is my retro-fit Digress, received a few days ago.

[attachment=9531]

I call it my Digress115, the 115 relating to the length of the handle. I had it specially made to be 115mm long hence the extra length in the brass adjuster.

I have to say it looks superb and handles beautifully. The workmanship is exquisite.

Attachments

• digress-115.JPG
    digress-115.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 88
rotarygov said:

I call it my Digress115, the 115 relating to the length of the handle. I had it specially made to be 115mm long hence the extra length in the brass adjuster.

I have to say it looks superb and handles beautifully. The workmanship is exquisite.

Did having the extra length in the adjuster cost much more over the standard retrofit?

Charliej said:
rotarygov said:

Did having the extra length in the adjuster cost much more over the standard retrofit?
Same price :icon_surprised: I was surprised too.

Hope it's not too late Randomangle

My new Digress.

[attachment=9973]

[attachment=9974]

[attachment=9975]

Attachments

• DE razor 001 (800x489).jpg
    DE razor 001 (800x489).jpg
    166 KB · Views: 76
  • DE razor 002 (800x740).jpg
    DE razor 002 (800x740).jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 65