Exclusive: A hands-on, first look at the Blackland Blackbird razor

Have you seen the most very excellent all stainless DE razor that has just come on the market at $40? I think they have dispensed with all this machining malarky, much as did that very famous KickStarter cast razor failure whose name eludes me. I have one upstairs awaiting new plates in September past.

I sense sarcasm :). Mr. @Darkbulb showed it to me on Twitter. You know, it doesn't look that bad. The problem is that cast(or sintered) has that ugly, splotchy finish that is difficult to get rid of. I don't doubt that it will shave just fine, but I have to wonder what the point of a stainless steel razor is if you are getting neither the good looks nor precision that machined stainless provides. Is it just the heft? Personally I would buy any number of plated brass or even Zamak heads(modern or vintage) and throw on a nice stainless steel handle and be out the door at under $40 with a slick, shiny razor.

Have you seen the most very excellent all stainless DE razor that has just come on the market at $40? I think they have dispensed with all this machining malarky, much as did that very famous KickStarter cast razor failure whose name eludes me. I have one upstairs awaiting new plates in September past.
The Rockwell 6.

Okay I took some photos, but I'll edit and post them tomorrow. Lathered the soap up a few times so I can write a little review/description of it. Mind you that my nose is far from developed. I also didn't make this soap so I'd like to think I'm not terribly biased, given the circumstances.

First things first. The packaging is greatly improved. Local Gent used to have crummy paper labels and a tin lid. They've done away with both and switched to a waterproof label and plastic lid. Both are huge improvements. I designed the label on this and while I'm a terrible graphic designer I think it turned out alright.

Upon opening the soap the first thing I got was lavender. At first that's all I picked up and I worried that Rob had overdone it and made a very feminine floral soap. There was some smoke and pine in the background, but it was barely detectable. But then I brought it to a lather and all that smoky pine jumped to the foreground while the lavender faded to a sweet mellow note peeking through occasionally. To be honest, I'm not sure what amber smells like so I don't know if I detect it or not. The scent profile is really quite nice with neither the smoke, pine, nor lavender coming on too strong and all play excellently together. It was very interesting to notice the transformation the scent took and it's something I hadn't experienced before to such a degree.

While the soap is technically a hard soap, I found it be on the softer side which made for easy loading. I had no trouble bringing it to a thick, creamy, and slick lather in no time with a 24mm synthetic.

Overall, I'm very pleased and glad I ordered a few extra to keep in my den. :)

Good news! When may we expect the pre-shave oil, a/s and balm in the same flavour? Big bucks in them thar hills!

Your enthusiasm is infectious, Shane! I foresee a huge flow of Blackbird products.

I think this will be the only software for a while. But I do think 2016 will see an OC Blackbird and a brush, at least.

Oh! the joys of CNC machining - a great product every time. How long does each one take, Shane - from taking a piece out to taking the next one out?

I just got off the phone with Kurt the machinist. Among other things, out of curiosity asked him about the difference in time and cost if we were to make the razor from alumin(i)um. He told me that the time to machine a base plate would be about as fast as the sped up video I shared with you the other day. That blew my mind.

And no. Blackbird Al is not in the works. Just thought I'd share that tidbit with you all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom