Cream of the week - Ingrams

Can I make a suggestion for an option on the list for French soaps that aren't MdeC? As someone with 2 French soaps which seem to be undervalued (PS Verlaine and now Monsavon), I'd enjoy a week using them, and I think it would give those of us with French soaps a chance to make more people aware of them. I'm suggesting making MdeC a separate option as it's more expensive than the others and seems more popular - if included I suspect it would dominate the SOTD posts.

As far as I'm aware, the soaps which would qualify would be:

Provence Santé Verlaine
Institut Karité
Prè de Provence
Monsavon
L'Occitane Cade

I have four of those five, Chris, all very good indeed, and would cheerfully play along with that week...

Didn't have a token Ingrams shave as I threw the tube away long ago - it was mediocre to my mind and then split into its constituents, as so many tubes seem to have.

Dave.B said:
I've gone off ingrams after using it for the last few shaves something about the smell that reminds me of a cleaning product lather wise its ok just have to use more than i'd use with other creams but the smell has put me right off the last 2 passes of it wafting up me snozzer were too much so back on the shelf it goes till i pass it on to me pops with a few other bits...

Bugger me some of yous have got some delicate olfactory systems. Aww bless :icon_rolleyes: The smell's from the menthol don't you know, comes with the territory. Kind've like complaining about a rose cream smelling florally

n1vlo said:
Yer right about ymmv... I prefer bodyshop... Lol... There yer go

I believe it's good stuff, never used it myself. I'm a bit unusual in buying nearly all of my software in bricks n mortar stores so far. Don't have a Body Shop shop nearby.

shavecraft said:
n1vlo said:
the smell is not one of choice...as for menthol kick...im still waiting but if you guys say there is a one....i musta missed it,,,as for quantity used...the most product of any i have tried in achieving a lather...ill agree there..slickness...i musta missed that too

now if it would poison the starlings in my guttering...now i would recommend it,,as it is it would cost me more to send it too someone than for you to buy it from superdrug....therefore

original comment stands...in the bin

Certainly a case of YMMV there n1vlo! I heartily disagree on all counts, there you go. Shows how personal our ablution preferences are, just like our preferences for food, music etc etc

Count of Undolpho said:
fly3k said:
Count of Undolpho said:
fly3k said:
Second try tonight lathered well with the new forest brush. Will try with the Vulfix 404 next to see how it goes with that brush.

Works fine with the 404 bowl lathering for me.

Will give it a go tomorrow, I bowl lather rather than face. I have found the 404 a bit floppy and sparse? Although they get a lot of love on here.

First time I used it I thought the same thing. I soaked it whilst I had a shower and expected it to pick up soap like my other brushes. It felt floppy and had to get a between pass top up.
Now I only soak it whilst the sink fills, give it a squeeze under the water and it has plenty of backbone, is soft as you like and holds plenty of soap for three passes; nevermind my usual 2 and a touch up.

Ingrams? Corking! As long as you remember to use a little more product than usual it's very easy to consistently get a fine, slick, comfortable and moisturising lather. If it wasn't for the basic scent and heavy menthol kick I'd be happy using this all the time.

+ 1 on soaking time. I've always found soaking a brush for the duration of a shower to be an unnecessarily long time and liable to increase the chance of the brush shedding hairs. I find soaking a brush for as long as it takes me to towel dry plenty of time to get it to lather well.

All my brushes soak while I'm in the shower so perhaps thats the problem with the 404.

I always thought boar especially needed a good soak to prevent the bristles breaking off.

chrisbell said:
Can I make a suggestion for an option on the list for French soaps that aren't MdeC? As someone with 2 French soaps which seem to be undervalued (PS Verlaine and now Monsavon), I'd enjoy a week using them, and I think it would give those of us with French soaps a chance to make more people aware of them. I'm suggesting making MdeC a separate option as it's more expensive than the others and seems more popular - if included I suspect it would dominate the SOTD posts.

Provence Santé Verlaine
Institut Karité
Prè de Provence
Monsavon
L'Occitane Cade

Hi Chris

I have two of those so would be up for a French week. Would we have to wear berets as well for the week?

I havent put a poll up as Tabac and Arko were 2nd choice last week. Thought either we could do one a week for the next two weeks or have a Tabac vs Arko battle week as there seems to be a love or hate for both of those scents.

fly3k said:
chrisbell said:

Provence Santé Verlaine
Institut Karité
Prè de Provence
Monsavon
L'Occitane Cade

Hi Chris

I have two of those so would be up for a French week. Would we have to wear berets as well for the week?

I havent put a poll up as Tabac and Arko were 2nd choice last week. Thought either we could do one a week for the next two weeks or have a Tabac vs Arko battle week as there seems to be a love or hate for both of those scents.

Cheers Steve - I have Tabac but not Arko, so couldn't do a comparison myself.

Quite like the battle idea. I have and like both (neither particularly for their smells) so I may do a few days with those.
I need to do one or two days this week with Ingrams as I do like it. If i could shave twice a day I would. (Did it in the early days but it's not worth the irritation. )

fly3k said:

Well that is really something. If I hadda pick 5 products to never use from the poll choices offered, you members have hit every one. Hehehe, Tabac and Arco are next in line.......perfect.

Jeeez, I can only wonder if my nose being so large is making me able to pick up all those horrible notes in some of those items. The menthol thing is also pretty damn creepy if you ask me. Kinda like going to the dentist and him numbing you for what's to come.

What a bunch of goofballs,

Martin

dodgy said:
fly3k said:

Well that is really something. If I hadda pick 5 products to never use from the poll choices offered, you members have hit every one. Hehehe, Tabac and Arco are next in line.......perfect.

Jeeez, I can only wonder if my nose being so large is making me able to pick up all those horrible notes in some of those items. The menthol thing is also pretty damn creepy if you ask me. Kinda like going to the dentist and him numbing you for the pain to come.

What a bunch of goofballs,

Martin

Martin

You could always try the arko creams there I think 3-5 of them. Think ill usethecool first just to keep the me think going another week

Brianpilman said:
Martin

You could always try the arko creams there I think 3-5 of them. Think ill usethecool first just to keep the me think going another week

Ohhh, now that would be excellent. The scent of cleaning day in a Turkish prison, coupled with a frozen face. Plus it's a cream which I rarely ever use.

Today I tried soaking the 404 a little less and it was definitely better. Ingrams seems to perform well but I am getting a little bored by it now. I havent seemed to get bored of a cream until this point though. Its good stuff but not something I could use everyday.

fly3k said:
Today I tried soaking the 404 a little less and it was definitely better. Ingrams seems to perform well but I am getting a little bored by it now. I havent seemed to get bored of a cream until this point though. Its good stuff but not something I could use everyday.

All my brushes seem to respond well to a shorter soak, badger, boar and mixed. I keep trying to water log them as it seems a consistent piece of advice for noobs but it never seems to work for me.
I find the Ingrams is better as an occasional rather than a regular appearance in my rotation. That menthol it's just too much day in day out and I often get a whiff of fat when starting to lather, which is a little unpleasant.

First try with it tonight, It is not TOBS is it. I will try it again tomorrow but as all good salesmen know "You only get one chance to make a first impression"

shavecraft said:
Dave.B said:
I've gone off ingrams after using it for the last few shaves something about the smell that reminds me of a cleaning product lather wise its ok just have to use more than i'd use with other creams but the smell has put me right off the last 2 passes of it wafting up me snozzer were too much so back on the shelf it goes till i pass it on to me pops with a few other bits...

Bugger me some of yous have got some delicate olfactory systems. Aww bless :icon_rolleyes: The smell's from the menthol don't you know, comes with the territory. Kind've like complaining about a rose cream smelling florally

Hardly a case of having a delicate nose and i don't have a problem with a cream or soap smelling like they should but when to me it smells more like industrial disinfectant than menthol i think i'll pass on using it but as they say YMMV....

Dave.B said:
shavecraft said:
Dave.B said:

Hardly a case of having a delicate nose and i don't have a problem with a cream or soap smelling like they should but when to me it smells more like industrial disinfectant than menthol i think i'll pass on using it but as they say YMMV....

You say potato, I say potarto. Nowt to get in a lather over anyhoo...moving on

This comment made me laugh out loud.

"People that design the bathrooms in Holiday Inn still haven't worked out that you need to be able to see what you are doing, perhaps I should pack a torch in future. Why is it so dark in the bathroom? I don't need mood lighting to have a shave."

A few years ago we rented an apartment somewhere in the Canary Isles where a new bathroom had been installed, with and I kid you not NO mirror above the sink but a full length mirror with additional lights (You know the one that an electric plugs into) on the opposite wall and off set about 4 or 5 feet from the sink. I never really worked that out needless to say we never went back.

Back
Top Bottom