Chinese DE Blade PIF ###COMPLETED###

RE: Chinese DE Blade PIF

ChopperHarris said:
As an aside - Lose The Beard, sorry for the delay in posting but the blades are on their way to you now.

The blades turned up this morning, Many Thanks.

I'll be giving all the blades a try in my Feather AS-D1 over the next few days.

Time to start reviewing this thread to see which one I should go for first.

Re: Chinese DE Blade PIF

My fave at the moment is the Gillette super blue. Had a 2nd shave with it this morning.
Other two good ones seem to be flying eagle and the swordfish.
Going to see how the super blue manages a 3rd and fourth then go back to testing the flying eagle and swordfish.
I'm using them in a fat boy.

used the ming shi super white tonight and at the moment i think its my favourite so far. it felt a little bit tuggy first off, but settled down and i got a good irritation free shave. irritation free is the attribute that floats my boat :)

Second shave with the Flying Eagle today - fantastic shave. Really, really close. There was a small amount of irritation, which I always get with super sharp blades but the finish was exemplary. 14 hours later I'm still smooth, which is almost unheard of!

I think its equel pay equel work with these Chinese blades, so the ones costing more will perform better then the cheaper ones.

So I don't have high expectations off the cheapest ming shi and ying jili.

Absolutely right! The cheap ones were - well, cheap! But the good ones were - well, excellent, best ever! And the whole exercise was about finding the good ones - of which we found several.

Yes - wasn't keen on the Ying Ji Li that I tried (one still to go). Ming Shis weren't bad. Flying Eagle not bad. Gillette Super Blue excellent but only for one BBS shave.
Thanks to Bechet45 for the opportunity to try sdome blades we probably otherwise wouldn't have.

Yesterday I acquired some Rhino silver stainless blades and some Gillette Super Thins (both of the Chinese variety). I'll set up a separate thread for that in this section.

Following a weekend away, I'm back and trying the blades again. It was the Gillettes this morning, used in a EJ89. I can confirm everyone else's opinion - lovely shave, very smooth and with very little irritation. This is especially impressive as my face was irritated from the travel kit shaves of the weekend (I've yet to perfect that little lot.)

So, as a recap - my opinions are:

Swordfish - disappointing
Flying Eagle - so good I've ordered
Gillettes - very good first shave (will try again tomorrow)

Tuesday.

First Shave with the Chinese Pass around blades.

To maintain some consistency I plan on using basically the same kit for all the Chinese blades to give some comparison. I will use different scents, but will stick to TOBS Creams and Aftershaves. The same razor will be used, and the same brush. - EDIT, not the same brush as the knot has just fallen out of it :(

For reference normal blade is the Thai packaged Gillette Super Thin.

The first blade I have chosen from the Pass Around set is the Flying Eagle.

Prep: Hot Flannels
Cream: TOBS Mr Taylor
Brush: Neep 26mm Extra Silvertip in Kenya Soapstone
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Chinese Flying Eagle
A/S: TOBS Mr Taylor.

The first pass felt ever so slightly tuggy, but perfectly acceptable. This could have been down to poor prep as I only used a hot flannel this morning on my face, rather than 10 minutes in a hot shower.
The second and third passes were smooth and comfortable.

The result was a perfectly acceptable shave with no nicks or irritation, I could easily use these blades on a daily basis.

02OCT2012.jpg

Re: Chinese DE Blade PIF

Wednesday.

Second Shave with the Chinese Pass around blades

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS St James
Brush: Neep 26mm Extra Silvertip in Kingfisher Burl
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Chinese Flying Eagle
A/S: TOBS St James

Second day with this blade and another excellent shave

Back