Chinese DE Blade PIF ###COMPLETED###

RE: Chinese DE Blade PIF

My second time with the Gillette blade today - same set up as before (proraso preshave, proraso soap, DE89 razor) and I've had another close shave. Possibly a little bit draggier than yesterday (so I won't be trying a third shave) but overall a good finish with little irritation.

So far my top of the pops is:

In at three, it's Sword Fish
Blues and twos and number two, Gillette Blue
And flying high at number one... the Flying Eagle

Other blades to be tried shortly (I'm allowing a day in between with a Personna just to 'reset' the test)

Thursday

Day 3 of the Chinese blades, 3rd day for this blade, which was obviously a day too many as it was quite tuggy, but I persevered as I couldn't be bothered to change blade mid shave. A reasonable shave, not the best though, A good application of Bay Rum calmed my face down afterwards.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: GFT Eucris
Brush: New Forest Super Badger
Razor: Feather AS-D1
Blade: Chinese Flying Eagle (3)
Cologne: GFT Eucris

04OCT2012.jpg

Summary so far.

Flying Eagle, good sharp smooth blade, only lasted 2 shaves though.

Next Up

Jianyu Swordfish

How do you manage to get anything from TaoBao? Everything related to shaving is "possibly an infringement of trade mark" and can not be bought? This includes Flying Eagle, Super Blue and Swordfish. I gave up on buying Flying Eagle SE blades...

Friday

Day 4 of the Chinese blades, New blade for me today, trying out the Jianyu Swordfish. This blade didn't feel the sharpest to me, although it was very smooth to use. Not a bad shave, but after 3 passes there was still a reasonable amount of stubble on my face, perhaps this needed to be in a more aggressive razor. I don't think I'll be using this blade again though so onto the Super Gllette Blue tomorrow.

Cream: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush: Neep 26mm Extra Silvertip in Kingfisher Burl
Blade: Jianyu Swordfish

05OCT2012.jpg

Summary so far.

Jianyu Swordfish, not the sharpest, smooth but not very close shave.

Next Up

Super Gillette Blue Blades

I used the New Boundary Of Shaving Ying Jili today. I have to say that this really felt like a step up in quality from the moment I picked up the blade with its lovely glossy wrapper and separate waxed paper inner wrapper.

This feeling of quality held right up until the point at which I started shaving with it. Sadly at that point it nose dived. I shaved both cheeks and jawlines, trying different angles in an abortive attempt to find some sort of cutting sweet spot. At all times it felt draggy and basically felt as though I was having to force the blade through the stubble - giving my face a proper scraping at the same time.

I then swapped to a Personna for comparison purposes. The upshot is that my technique hasn't disappeared overnight - this is a pretty terrible blade. I won't be trying it a second time.

Shame as I liked the marketing side of things!

Re: RE: Chinese DE Blade PIF

ChopperHarris said:
I used the New Boundary Of Shaving Ying Jili today. I have to say that this really felt like a step up in quality from the moment I picked up the blade with its lovely glossy wrapper and separate waxed paper inner wrapper.

I remember that one being quite bad. Swapped it out as well half way through.

demusss said:
ChopperHarris said:

I remember that one being quite bad. Swapped it out as well half way through.

I've still got that one to look forward to :s

Saturday Morning

Still working my way through the Chinese pif blades.

Cream : TOBS Eton College
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best Badger
Blade: Super Gillette Blue
A/S: TOBS Eton College

A lovely BBS Shave this morning, this is a really nice blade, sharp and smooth. I think I prefer this over my normal Thai Gillette Super Thin blade. The feedback from this blade was excellent as well.

06OCT2012.jpg

Summary so far.

Super Gillette Blue, excellent blade. Sharp and Smooth.
Jianyu Swordfish, not the sharpest, smooth but not very close shave.

Just spent the last couple of hours ordering some blades from taobao. Didnt use mistertao tried these guys instead www.freeshoppingchina.com as you can pay using PayPal.

Ordered some Gillette Blues and Flying Eagles + a few packets of some others for a new PIF.

I'll let you know how it goes.

end of the 4th blade ive tried tonight, and with hindsight i kinda like all the ones ive tried. the gillette was very good, and the swordfish was excellent first shave and not as good 2nd and 3rd but still a very good blade, i really like the ming shi super white as a work horse blade got two drama free shaves from that. the flying eagle i got two very good shaves from but dont really fancy pushing it for a third. im going to have a little break from the chinese blades and then try the others out.

Sunday Morning

Still working my way through the Chinese pif blades.

Cream : TOBS Jermyn Street
Blade: Super Gillette Blue (2)
A/S: TOBS Jermyn Street

A lovely BBS Shave this morning, this is has been a really nice blade, sharp and smooth. I don't think I'm going to get another shave from it though, it's just starting to dull.

Summary so far.

Super Gillette Blue, excellent blade. Sharp and Smooth, but only 2 shaves.
Jianyu Swordfish, not the sharpest, smooth but not very close shave. 1 shave.

Next Up

Ming Shi Super White.

Monday Morning

Still working my way through the Chinese pif blades. New blade this morning. It felt a little tuggy initially but got better. A good smooth shave.

Soap : Floris JF
Blade: Ming Shi Super White.
A/S: Floris JF

A lovely BBS Shave this morning, this is has been a really nice blade, sharp and smooth. I don't think I'm going to get another shave from it though, it's just starting to dull.

08OCT2012.jpg

Summary so far.

Super Gillette Blue, excellent blade. Sharp and Smooth, but only 2 shaves.
Ming Shi Super White. Felt sharp and smooth, but a little tuggy this morning.
Jianyu Swordfish, not the sharpest, smooth but not very close shave. 1 shave.

Next Up

Are there any of these Chinese blades that you think are up there in quality with the likes of feather, timor, polsilver, etc? Or are you only happy with them because they're very cheap?

Re: RE: Chinese DE Blade PIF

Halk said:
Are there any of these Chinese blades that you think are up there in quality with the likes of feather, timor, polsilver, etc? Or are you only happy with them because they're very cheap?

I think they are good blades. I don't personally rate feathers though, and haven't tried the polsilver or timor yet.

I would prefer to use some of these blades to feathers. I have no idea what they are priced like, price doesn't come to mind for me when deciding what's a good blade for shaving with.

Thanks, sometimes people factor in cost and sometimes not. For me blades are cheap enough that it's not worth using inferior blades to save money - although it is worth shopping around as much as possible to bring the cost down.

Back
Top Bottom