Cheap vs Expensive

I thought the whole point of wet double (and single) edged shaving with either a cream or soap and a shaving brush was to turn something that was a routine chore into something pleasant and enjoyable.
Certainly the cheaper creams will do the job, many of them will do it very well indeed, but some their fragrances leave a lot to be desired. I still use cheaper creams and I'm always on the lookout for something new to try, but if they don't smell good i don't buy them again.
I find that the more expensive creams with their more exotic scents add to the whole pleasure of shaving and make me feel just a touch pampered.
OK you can pay out plenty on a good quality razor and brush, but once you have them the running costs for wet shaving are pretty minimal. DE blades cost pennies.
A 250g pot of Trumper's costs about £15 and lasts 2-3 months so say 90 shaves, that still works out at under 20p per shave. I don't really consider that to be an extravagance.
I don't think the real issue is about saving money its about enjoyment and the experience. Let's face it if you just wanted something that does the job there are plenty of good gels and foams out there.

Hyperborean said:
Mikael said:
Hyperborean said:
1. Relatively cheap shaving creams can be excellent. I can say for this NIVEA mild shaving cream <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.niveaformen.com/products/shaving/mild_shaving_cream.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.niveaformen.com/products/sha ... cream.html</a><!-- m --> that it's excellent.only problem would be slipperiness of the skin if you shave with a straight razor when you put your fingers onto it to strecht it. The other shaving cream I use is made for local market by Henkels (goes by brand name Solea)---it is also good though not as good as Nivea mild, but it's somewhat cheaper and smells (Lavender scent) better plus the skin is not slippery.

2. I haven't tried any of those expensive shaving creams but I doubt they are better than NIVEA mild. I had used very high quality Golddachs shaving soap (with shaving cream like qualites) for a year and NIVEA mild is on similar level of performance. I decided to save up the second puck in case they stop producing Nivea mild shaving cream ;). The lather is thick and smooth. I have also used Thiers Issard shaving soap, while it smells better than Golddachs it is not as good as Golddachs.

3. To sum it up, no those expensive creams are definetely not worth it.

So, to sum it up: You never used any expensive shaving creams and you think they´re not worth it!? :lol:

Yap, I guess I am not dumb enough to pay 10 times as much for a certain special "traditional"/"exclusive" shaving cream just to find out it's not even a bit better (probably lesser) than a Nivea mild for around 2 EUR. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If a person who is not some for example banking pig or alike sort pays such amount of money for a shaving cream then he is just dumb sucker.

How people choose to spend their own hard earnt cash is their own business. It's a little rude to call them Dumb Suckers. This just appears to be sour grapes. If you can't afford to spend money on nice things, don't abuse people that can.

Hyperborean said:
heroblob said:
How people choose to spend their own hard earnt cash is their own business. It's a little rude to call them Dumb Suckers. This just appears to be sour grapes. If you can't afford to spend money on nice things, don't abuse people that can.

Sir, are you against democracy and freedom of speech ? I think that everybody who is not a millionare and spends that much money on shaving cream is not especially bright (that is an understatement of course). Naturally they can spend their money (doubt it's hard earned though) on soaps, parfumes, creams, fragrances etc just like women do LOL.

No, that were definetely no sour grapes in my case, I don't give a damn about some "luxury" shaving soap and similar consumer crap...I would rather save that money and buy something else instead, something durable and of high quality. I am going to buy a Thierss Issard "luxury" razor in range of 230-260 EUR, which is a work of art and gonna last for a lifetime. Instead of wasting money on luxury/exclusive shaving creams and other trivial jumbo mumbo .Do you understand the difference sir?

Funny, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. You slate people for choosing to pay for the soaps, lotions and potions that they want not need?
Yet you say you are going to buy a razor costing 230-260 Euro when in fact you can get a razor that will do the job just as well for much less, so do you need to spend all that money or are you doing it because you want the razor??
That is what people do they make choices just like you are......shocking isn't it......... :shock: :shock:

People in glass houses should not throw stones ............Sir??

Hyperborean said:
heroblob said:

Sir, are you against democracy and freedom of speech ? I think that everybody who is not a millionare and spends that much money on shaving cream is not especially bright (that is an understatement of course). Naturally they can spend their money (doubt it's hard earned though) on soaps, parfumes, creams, fragrances etc just like women do LOL.

No, that were definetely no sour grapes in my case, I don't give a damn about some "luxury" shaving soap and similar consumer crap...I would rather save that money and buy something else instead, something durable and of high quality. I am going to buy a Thierss Issard "luxury" razor in range of 230-260 EUR, which is a work of art and gonna last for a lifetime. Instead of wasting money on luxury/exclusive shaving creams and other trivial jumbo mumbo .Do you understand the difference sir?

I don't even know where to begin.

joe mcclaine said:
Hyperborean said:
heroblob said:

I await in eager anticipation.... Sir ;)

RB73 said:
joe mcclaine said:

I await in eager anticipation.... Sir ;)

I've just looked back through some of his posts.

It seems to be his 'style' and he's managed to put a few people's back up with it on the straight razor part of the forum.

I don't think I'll be biting.

What i won't be doing is waisting my time responding to this drivel. I hope you enjoy your expensive straight razor, and it gives you many years of pleasure, And you be carefull not to cut your self those thing are sharp.

Ah yes, I forgot. Mrs A is partial to a drop of Chanel No.5 (or even worse, No. 11 :shock: ), which is expensive by anyone's standards, but I'll happily pay for it. Now I'm delighted to argue with you all night Hyper, but believe me, you're well out of your depth if you want to pick a fight with her. Or is that different in some way?

Hyperborean said:
heroblob said:

Vinny stated he had looked back through the straight thread and would not respond, very wise. I however was one who posted a response on said straight thread and would respond no further, again very wise I thought.
It just goes to show a leopard does not change its spots I stated as a newby common courtesy was a given, something sadly missing in this young mans make up. I will now make no further comment on this thread and can assure you will not reply to the abuse that will now no doubt follow.
Regards,
Pete

Back
Top Bottom