Cheap vs Expensive

Interesting comments re taylors vs Trumpers. I thought they were all made by the same people (Creightons).

My view on the cheap vs expensive stuff is; Palmolive shave stick works well and I get great shaves, Palmolive cream seems good but I've only used my tube once. The main difference is in the smell with the cheaper ones I've tried. I too must be a snob, as I'll use the cheap ones in an emergency or to be different on a day.

IanM said:
In my experience the Taylor tubes of cream can be a bit watery, but the pots are fine. I rate them pretty highly.

Ian

thats interesting, and would tally with my experience so far. I was wondering if for the sake of being in a tube, they made the formula slightly different.

shrink said:
IanM said:
In my experience the Taylor tubes of cream can be a bit watery, but the pots are fine. I rate them pretty highly.

Ian

thats interesting, and would tally with my experience so far. I was wondering if for the sake of being in a tube, they made the formula slightly different.

It's possible. Those pastic tubes are not very sturdy, and the pressure requires to get a thick cream from one would probably split the tube. In fact, I had the threaded nozzle of one of their tubes come clean off as I was replacing the cap, and I was being quite gentle with it.

Trumper creams are thicker, and their tubes are metal.

Ian

well i'm very much looking forward to trying the T&H limes out of a tub. I may even give edwin jagger the benefit of the doubt.

That said, the palmolive out of a tube seems much thicker. It seems that anyone using standard plastic tubes (jagger, taylors etc) have runny cream. But brands like palmoliove etc use a thick foil based tube (like old school toothpaste) which i would assume allows them to use a thicker cream.

The Palmolive cream I've used recently is noticeably thinner than stuff I was buying 2 or 3 years ago.

Interesting replies as I've not used any expensive stuff yet.

I get good results from the four I use - Erasmic and Ingram creams and also Palmolive and ARKO sticks - cut up and pressed into ramekins. I bowl lather all of them.

Am I going to get better foam from a more expensive lather or just better scent? I reckoned on the latter hence why I haven't bothered so far. I will get round to buying the legendary Tabac soap at some point though.

well FWIW ive had:

-old spice classic cream
-arko
-palmolive
-boots own brand

and i find my taylors creates a significantly thicker, denser, and more lubricating lather. Plus a nicer smell. I think many of the cheap creams use a LOT of synthetic ingredients. This is esspecially true for the arko. The taylors / T&H etc tend to have more natural contents in them

for example, my jermyn street cream has cocoa butter, as well as a selection of natural oils and lubricants. This almost certainly has some good effect

Been reading this thread with interest, I have got more into creams and now tend not to use sticks/hard soap. I have various creams ranging from the cheaper end to what I now find is mid range GFT........ :shock: :shock: .
The only thing I find is some of the cheaper brands is I have to use more to achieve a good lather, (I hand lather)
But I have noticed that no one has mentioned our own artisan (?) cream/soft soap makers (Henk and Sharon to mention two).
How do you guys place there products in the scope of this discussion?
Personally I find they produce a good product without the "kudos" and price of some of the more well known makers ?
I agree in some ways with what Vinnie said earlier in the thread, he buys what he likes for the same reason as I would he likes it and he can.........does this make him a snob, no not at all or if it does I have no chance because I am the same............. ;) ;)

Re shrink's' comment on the EJ/Muehle aloe vera soap/cream, I agree, the stuff does not lather as easily as other soaps/creams and this is possibly attributed to the fair number of natural ingredients contained therein.

Edwin Jagger cream is notable for its general absence from this forum. I have used the Aloe cream and found it to be very good indeed with no problem lathering. Is it just unfashionable or is there some reason so few members here use it. After all the razors are incredibly popular. :?

I personally found the EJ/Muehle shave cream and after shave stuff kind of uninspiring. Their Sandalwood is a kind of pretty light scented type of sandalwood cream, its lathering / efficacy / moisturizing properties are nothing extraordinary, so it doesn't really talk to me saying "please pick me this morning for your shave." When I have The Art of Shaving Sandalwood shave cream or soap next to it, or Tabac, or D.R. Harris Marlborough, or Henks's' stuff (Dutch Moss or Bay Rum) sorry but in that scent category the EJ shave cream will not get much use.

Of course as discussed (re Sharon's' comments in another thread some months back) the real essential oils content of any 'sandalwood' shave cream, balm or whatever else is another story. But in my opinion the point is that the EJ/Muehle stuff don't have something so special, so edgy (if you prefer) that people may like so much or conversely even dislike so much. Their Aloe Vera smells nicer than other AV shave creams I've tried before, but as I still haven't got around trying the EJ AV tub I have, I cannot comment much.

Their after shave lotion (as they call it), a balm essentially, is another nice, 'natural' but somewhat uninspiring product. It costs a good deal of money, by the way. Will it leave your face so smooth, so well and discreetly moisturized after use? Hmmm, well, not that much. You can do the same and even better job with a Body Shop or (say) a L'Oreal Men Expert Sensitive (aloe vera) balm I suppose. Will on the other hand the scent of the EJ balm reward you in any sense? Nope. For Eur 20 per bottle, I believe consumers can get more exciting stuff, albeit not as reportedly 'natural' as this.

The only product I have decided to keep and use from the EJ/Muehle range is the Sea Buckthorn shave cream. Reason is the warm summer days, during which I imagine this product can give me refreshing shaves on a different tone, due to the fact that scent-wise it is not like any other mentholated product out there (Proraso, etc.)

i got a free sample of the EJ Sea Buckthorn cream with an order ages ago

the only thing i can remember about it was a nice smell, average performer, but boy it clogged my razor like buggery
got sick of rinsing it during the shave and had to resort to opening the silos at one point

glad it was a small sample or someone was getting a PiF

Back
Top Bottom