Cheap vs Expensive

hunnymonster said:
Can I just add this... there is a world of difference between "cheap" (low cost, shoddily made, poor performance) and "inexpensive" (low cost, performs adequately at least, reasonably made)...

Pure semantics but it's an often overlooked distinction.

Agreed, Jason - I've tried a couple of expensive products which I thought were overpriced rubbish. IMO, the benefit from expensive products is very often in terms of post-shave face care and scent.

The expensive creams probably have smaller batch runs, compared to mass production brands. But my personal best is Erasmic, the older made in Jordan one with coconut oil (Cocos Nucifera), at £1.29. I am currently using Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn, at £11.00 for a 100ml tub. It is no better than Erasmic, and just has a fruity aroma.

I have used other 'cheap' i.e. low priced brands over the years: Palmolive - in the green carton which is a good shaving cream although I haven't used it for years. I did use the awful brushless version in a red carton - yuk. Also, Real Shaving Co. which is fairly non descript but gives good rich lather, Ingrams which I'm not keen on. And Boots brushless which is good, as well as the long disappeared Body Shop coconut shaving cream which I thought was the best high street brand available at the time in the 1990s.

But for me probably the best so far is St James of London Cedarwood and Clarysage, 150ml jar for £6.99. One lasted me around 4 months, and I enjoyed using it.

Back
Top Bottom