Cheap vs Expensive

antdad said:
I had a blow out Sunday dinner with the family yesterday.

Did I pay a little extra for some better quality food items? Certainly.
Was it worth it? Yes.
Do I do it every day? No.
Would I want to do it everyday? No.
Does that make me a bonehead because I can survive perfectly adequately on gruel? You decide.

You have to slum it a bit to really appreciate the good stuff.

That is life.
You dumb sucker.

*Just spent 2 grand on some new cutlery, but that will last me forever. ;)

Hyperborean said:
One against many, my favorite game, too bad the moderator will not allow me to fvck you up fags. You enjoy being part of the stinking herd where you seek for and/or feel safety, don't you ha ha ha...you are fvcking pathetic creatures...worms

His posts reinforce my own sense of superiority, so I order you not to ban him, for he amuses me so.

I also demand he wears a hat with bells on it so that I always know where he is, should I desire him to bop people I don't like with his pigsbladder balloon on a stick. :| ;)

joe mcclaine said:
Because, we're worth it.

You have a point.

Inspired by this sentence I went to the bathroom and had a grand seance :D Since I had no shave for 5 days I have decided that even if it's Monday I'm worth it. So a T&H Ultimate Comfort Preshave oil, the same SC and ASB. Maaan, they must use this product range in Heaven :cool:

I do believe that more expensive soaps/cream are better. Not as much better as the price difference but still better.

Is a £36 tub of Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet in a glass jar 6x better than a tub of £6.95 TOBS eton college in a plastic tub? No of course it isn't. But for me it is a better product and if you want the better product you need to pay what it costs. And like people say, a lot of these things will last you a long time and per shave it doesn't really cost you much.

It's the same for anything in life. Is an Aston Martin 10x more car than a Ford Fiesta? Well actually yes it probably is so that isn't a great example! But you see what I mean.

Regards packaging, the Edwin Jagger shaving cream I have, but yet to try, is nicely packaged in a black carton. But the tube looks quite cheap. Boots shaving cream has a similar black carton, yet looks to me quite classy, and a third of the price.

As for tube design, I prefer the Real Shaving Company's design of lettering on the tube. It looks solid and reliable, and is cheaper than expensive brands.

On my way home last weekend I was passed by a Ferrari, was that car worth heaven knows how much more than the car I drive?

And did seeing the Ferrari glide effortlessly past me make me suddenly want such an extravagant means of transportation?

Too right it did :icon_cool:

I have some GFT cream in the bathroom, however for daily use I will use the Tabac's, Arko's, and Palmolives of this world.

But if others wish to use more expensive products, then that is of course their prerogative and why not?

We are only here once.

P.S Has anyone telephoned the Hospital regarding the obviously quite disturbed individual who was posting earlier?

I have tried Proraso which was about € 6 and now recently I have bought Nivea mild shaving cream for just € 1,29 and I must say it creates a great lather, got a nice lemon kind off smell, so for me its clear I don't need to expensive soaps and cremes, the cheap ones which are easy available is good enough for me.

Perhaps the higher priced soaps and cremes enjoy a premium smell, but I don't think they perform any better.

I started DE shaving quite recently (this year) and despite reading as much as I could and watching the videos on Youtube I have found that this has been a bit of a journey of which shaving creams has now become and important part.

To start with I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89bl, the reviews were good and I preferred its looks compared to others, not very scientific I know.

The brush, a Bluebeard's Revenge Corsair Super Best Badger. The best "bang for buck" brush I could find. Great find, very good and soft.

The blades, different multi packs.

The shaving creams TOBS Sandalwood, The Real Shaving Company Professional Formula and Geo F Trumper testers. (I'm getting to the point eventually)

First problem seemed to be the blades, some were too blunt, some too sharp but I know now that my bad technique at the time was to blame as much as anything.

I finally settled on Personna Platinums which are sharp enough but helped by my improved technique.

The preparation of the shave cream, despite watching all the videos took ages to perfect and differed slightly with each cream but certain things become obvious.

The creams do differ with price but not all expensive are good or cheap ones bad. I have now had a chance to try many more creams and I think it depends on individual creams from companies and consistency with skill levels. For example my favorite cream can seem less than good on a certain day and better on others, its almost certainly down to operator error despite the fact I think I'm consistent. I have better shaves on days off when I'm not under pressure to get out to work.

With so many variables it is difficult to say one cream is better than another but for the most part the GFT's are better than Palmolive or The Real Shaving Company which are all better than TOBS Sandalwood (haven't tried any others from TOBS due to disappointment. Needed a lot of product for my hard water area)

For those who want to shave as cheaply as possible then the Real Shaving cream is far and away the best of the low priced creams, double concentrated and lots of cushioning.

All of this is of course subjective and so I guess you go with what you can afford or like and these opinions are likely to change as time goes on. (I hated Spanish Leather at first and now I love it). So with different faces, senses, a range of different equipment and technique and ability, it would be very nice for someone to tell me a particular brand are the best but the reality is that I will keep trying various brands, cheap and expensive and probably enjoy the journey. Sometimes it is better to travel than arrive.

It is as many of you say a subjective matter. Whether it be a soap or cream, a very personal choice.

It has been said of the high end soaps & creams that the manufactures use of ingredients and essential oils command a higher price premium.

It may not be the case where a high end cream or soap gives a better shave, nor does it mean a low end cream or soap gives a poor shave. My own collection ranges between high end MDC down to BS Macca Root, and enjoy them all, as each have their own merits.

Charles U.K

There is a place for both cheap (Palmolive etc.) and expensive (T&H) in my collection. Just depends how I feel but one thing is for sure, more expensive creams smell fabulous, but cheaper creams get the job done also.

it would be very nice for someone to tell me a particular brand are the best

And, worry not, ever so many of us happily will ! Unfortunately of course all the rest of them will probably select different brands from the one which I KNOW is best. So, as you've now discovered, choice of kit for shaving truly is a matter of personal preference. Enjoy the journey.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

hunnymonster said:
Can I just add this... there is a world of difference between "cheap" (low cost, shoddily made, poor performance) and "inexpensive" (low cost, performs adequately at least, reasonably made)...

Pure semantics but it's an often overlooked distinction.

Completely agree, The Real Shaving Company product is a case in point. Very cheap but very good product that does the job very well.

Blackrat

Back
Top Bottom