Cartridge vs DE

If you really want to save money, a beard is the way to go...
I started with a razor saver (rubbery strop thing) to squeeze extra life out of the blades. But was still not satisfied with the results. The thing I noticed when I started reading the forums, was a focus on cost. In hindsight I realise it was just my way of justifying the new expense.
The reality is the experience is just better. It's a skill, it's a little bit zen, it's mostly about me and being a little different.
Don't do it for money, do it for love :)

Alistair72 said:
I started with a razor saver (rubbery strop thing) to squeeze extra life out of the blades. But was still not satisfied with the results. The thing I noticed when I started reading the forums, was a focus on cost. In hindsight I realise it was just my way of justifying the new expense.
The reality is the experience is just better. It's a skill, it's a little bit zen, it's mostly about me and being a little different.

Having shaved like this for almost 2 months now, I couldn't agree more. I've purchased a couple of vintage razors, and loads of blades, and now I'm craving soaps, and all sorts. I don't care about the cost, because it's more than just a routine now, it's an experience. It's amazing how my opinion has changed since really getting into it!

Shaving is shaving, nowt more, nowt less.

You'll be telling us wiping your arse is "like the gentle beating of a butterfly's wing" next.

joe mcclaine said:
Noxema in the sky blue tin (menthol) or the yellow tin (coccoa butter) are really outstanding for foams. The yellow one is as slick as well lathered tallow soap such as tabac or Palmolive ... it leaves your hands shiny when you rub it in ... if that makes sense?

Proraso in the Green and Red tins come pretty close to both respectively.

I've just ordered some of the Noxzema yellow. I've been using the Proraso white and red tins recently and they are superb.

joe mcclaine said:
Shaving is shaving, nowt more, nowt less.

You missed out 'in my humble opinion', I think?

joe mcclaine said:
You'll be telling us wiping your arse is "like the gentle beating of a butterfly's wing" next.

Butterfly's wings are a completely unsuitable substitute for toilet paper. For a start, they're too small and difficult to obtain. Unless you can get one of those massive tropical butterflies... but even then the wings aren't nearly absorbant enough and tear quite easily.

I am now banned from every butterfly farm/sanctuary in the UK.

Butterflies or puppies? Disgusting!

Do what every normal person does you perverts & use your wife's hair!

octopus said:
Same here, used the Sensor this morning and there was no irritation. This was my 4th shave with the same cartridge.

Have I got the softest beard in Christendom? Just changed the cartridge on my EJ M3 for the first time since Xmas - I can honestly get a good couple of months' shaves from one of these with no burn/irritation & always get a good result... I am genuinely puzzzled :icon_rolleyes:

That said, how many shave in all honesty & joking aside should I expect from a DE? Very new to DE (only a week) & had 3 excellent nick free ones, but the last one was uncomfortable & resulted in razor burn (and a girly whimper when I used the alum block) - this was shave number 4 from a Feather.

Leslie145 said:
Butterflies or puppies? Disgusting!

Do what every normal person does you perverts & use your wife's hair!

octopus said:
Same here, used the Sensor this morning and there was no irritation. This was my 4th shave with the same cartridge.

Have I got the softest beard in Christendom? Just changed the cartridge on my EJ M3 for the first time since Xmas - I can honestly get a good couple of months' shaves from one of these with no burn/irritation & always get a good result... I am genuinely puzzzled :icon_rolleyes:

That said, how many shave in all honesty & joking aside should I expect from a DE? Very new to DE (only a week) & had 3 excellent nick free ones, but the last one was uncomfortable & resulted in razor burn (and a girly whimper when I used the alum block) - this was shave number 4 from a Feather.

Most people get 2 or 3 shaves from a Feather - perhaps 3-4 from other blades and maybe 5 or 6 from some vintage blades and other such as Personna Lab Blue/Med Preps.

Alistair72 said:
I totally agree with his - exactly the route I took and how how reached de shaving - and i think you could do a lot worse wit your money and time then shave!!

i really don't know what went wrong, i had hoped to save some money switching to DE which i very much enjoy, i joined TSR for info/advice and was infected with the RAD virus which i'm still trying to shake off,
now you should see the state my poor wallet is in, on a serious note i really think i will save a lot of money in the long run, the initial set up cost a bit but then it should work out cheaper.

If any of you gents have an antidote to this RAD please PM me and name your price.

Had a shave this morning with a blade that the wife bought back after visiting her parents abroad, it has given me a good shave which can't be faulted for 1 shave then chuck, the cost is silly, she bought 100 blades which works out to 1.5p a blade, conclusion DE blades win over Cartridge.

Leslie145 said:
Have I got the softest beard in Christendom? Just changed the cartridge on my EJ M3 for the first time since Xmas - I can honestly get a good couple of months' shaves from one of these with no burn/irritation & always get a good result... I am genuinely puzzzled Icon_rolleyes

Are you saving you get an average of 48 shaves out of each cartridge if you shave 6 days in a week? That's amazing :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom