Cartridge vs DE

Out of interest I always look at cartridge prices particularly Gillette Contour, as I used these in the 1980s.

As for where I get my shaving stuff from, it's usually either:

Online: The English Shaving Company, Connaught Shaving
High Street: Crabtree & Evelyn, ASDA, Boots, and Wilkinsons.

It is true that DE Blades cost far less per shave than cartridges. But DE shaving isn't necessarily cheap! Finding and joining this forum has cost me a fair bit, because it encourages temptation! All my own choice though, and I do not regret it.

But once I was set up, with three brushes, three razors and a box full of different blades, oh and the multitude of soaps I was good. It didn't cost me a thing to shave last year... but then I noticed I was running out of soaps, panic set in and so this week indulged in a tub of Tabac and Cella soap, two I had somehow neglected to try!

Now I'm looking at my blade stash and thinking, 'only 60 Gillette Blues (NOS), 66 Gillette yellows and 120 Personna's left!' Then, 'Two new soaps, how about a new brush, I wonder if Fido's got anything interesting...'

So having been good and determined to pull back from collecting and hoarding of stuff, it's all going to go to pot now!

Best wishes,

Chris

With hindsight I could have just switched from foam to a brush and palmolive cream and from a mach3 to a gillette sensor (excel). Using creams or soaps is better for me but cartridge razors work well for me. Then you've got to spend money figuring out which blades work for you before you can buy them in bulk and if you buy another razor you've got to try them again. I still like using my DEs and don't think I will go back to cartridges but it would have been more practical to stick with them, I do think cartridges are overpriced whether I can afford them or not.

I've also had a couple of straights restored that were in the family now that's been a long learning process but I still like using them. As far as soaps and creams go I've tried a few out and would be happy sticking with palmolive. I don't think I'll ever have more than two or three on the go at once and probably wouldn't pay more than £5. I might try some more aggressive razors but would then probably sell one so that I had no more than two DEs. So I don't think I'll spend much more on DEs or soaps an creams but I might get a couple more brushes and spend something on straights.

The Mackem Shaver said:
With hindsight I could have just switched from foam to a brush and palmolive cream and from a mach3 to a gillette sensor (excel). Using creams or soaps is better for me but cartridge razors work well for me. Then you've got to spend money figuring out which blades work for you before you can buy them in bulk and if you buy another razor you've got to try them again. I still like using my DEs and don't think I will go back to cartridges but it would have been more practical to stick with them, I do think cartridges are overpriced whether I can afford them or not.

I've also had a couple of straights restored that were in the family now that's been a long learning process but I still like using them. As far as soaps and creams go I've tried a few out and would be happy sticking with palmolive. I don't think I'll ever have more than two or three on the go at once and probably wouldn't pay more than £5. I might try some more aggressive razors but would then probably sell one so that I had no more than two DEs. So I don't think I'll spend much more on DEs or soaps an creams but I might get a couple more brushes and spend something on straights.

I prefer using the soaps and creams to foam and gel, and admittedly shaving was easier when I used a cartridge razor. However it's much more of a pleasure to shave now with a DE. I may still use my cartridge razor if I just take hand luggage on a plane or something, with a palmolive stick and my omega brush. Unfortunately I listened to the advice of my brother and bought 100 derby blades, before reading into them more, as I had only had one shave with one and it was pretty good for my first DE shave. After that I just got bad irritation and a rubbish shave using them, now I'm stuck with 100 of them! I then purchased 100 astra sp's and they've been brilliant, producing excellent shaves, all consistent which was the issue I had with the derbys.

I have just ordered the TSR sample pack from connaughts and I'm looking forward to them arriving, even though the Astras work well for me I seem to have the urge to build a large collection of blades :(.

I'm currently using Ingrams cream, a Boots shaving stick grated into the WS blue bowl (I binned that pretty sharpish, the actual WS soap), a palmolive stick grated into a ramekin and I have some palmolive cream which I'm yet to try. Each of these were no more than 1.80 each and I love the palmolive for 50p so I don't really think I'd ever spend a fortune on any soaps.

I'm yet to buy any more DE's yet, but have seen some old gillette razors going cheap on here so maybe in the future I'll look into it, and the look of the straights really makes me want one but I'll stick with this for now.

SmallBeard said:
I'm currently using Ingrams cream, a Boots shaving stick grated into the WS blue bowl (I binned that pretty sharpish, the actual WS soap), a palmolive stick grated into a ramekin and I have some palmolive cream which I'm yet to try. Each of these were no more than 1.80 each and I love the palmolive for 50p so I don't really think I'd ever spend a fortune on any soaps.

I give it 2 months.:angel:

chrisbell said:
SmallBeard said:

+1 with you on that one chris :icon_razz:

A cartridge lasted me at least a month, a tin of Noxzema probably two. At that rate it takes quite a long time to spend the amount I've spent on this... and that's not counting the scenes, which I wouldn't have got into without being on here.

In fact a quick mental calculation suggests I've spent more on straights, brushes and soaps than I would have cartridge shaving with foam or gel for the rest of my days. I don't have a problem with that fact, but it is certainly relevant

Dr Rick said:
A cartridge lasted me at least a month, a tin of Noxzema probably two. At that rate it takes quite a long time to spend the amount I've spent on this... and that's not counting the scenes, which I wouldn't have got into without being on here.

In fact a quick mental calculation suggests I've spent more on straights, brushes and soaps than I would have cartridge shaving with foam or gel for the rest of my days. I don't have a problem with that fact, but it is certainly relevant

You must have got a very soft beard, Rick. Mine is black and bristly and a cartridge rarely saw a week out for me.

I fully concur with your second paragraph though!

chrisbell said:
SmallBeard said:

Stop frightening me :( I'm worried enough as it is with blades, I'm scared I'm going to love at least a few of the blades I've selected in the sample pack and then "have" to buy them in bulk. Although I already have enough to last me probably 2 years, I can't stand the thought of buying 5 blades for 2.10, when I can get 100 for 14.40 (lab blues from connaughts).

God help me if (more like when; you've been on this forum long enough to see innocent souls like me get hooked on the beauty of all the various products available) I get onto soaps. Mind you I don't drink, smoke, or gamble so I'm surely entitled to one vice, right?

Personally I have found that I have saved a fair bit on blades with DE shaving compared to cartridges, however as others have pointed out these kind of savings can soon vanish once you start buying more and more razors, brushes and high end creams etc. If you really want to save money with DE shaving find a good razor, blade, brush and cream/soap combination that you are happy with and stick with that. The hard part is to then to not give in to temptation and get more DE gear, for that you are own your own. Iv'e now found a combination of DE gear that I'm really happy with, so I see no more need to 'buy to try' any more DE gear.
Besides for me the impending wrath of my Mrs finding out what iv'e spent om DE gear:icon_evil: has helped to keep my RAD disorder under control !

I would say I've saved overall. I did buy a few razors when I started but sold most of them and now just have an EJ89 and a Futur. I bought a few cheapish soaps which show no sign of being used up any time soon and I've only got through 1 tube of shaving cream (which was free from a supplier anyway!). I only use 2 different blades and have enough for 2 years so I dont think I'll be buying any more for quite a while. I have one brush, a Men-U which has cracked a little but still works well. We will be selling brushes on the site soon so I may have to 'try' one.
All in all I think over the next few years I won't have to buy anything so will save and the best thing is I enjoy shaving now, look forward to it, my skin is much better and almost always smooth now.

Back
Top Bottom