Cartridge vs DE

Fido said:
Has anyone got other examples of saving money costing them a fortune.

Like a 125cc motorcycle doing 125mpg being followed by two new much bigger motorcycles.

Only joking.

Oh no - I quite agree. I started off with a boots DE and a few Personna blades, and now have superspeeds, a NEWs, Techs, a 37c and a Weber. Oh, and the best part of 1500 blades in stock.

Same applies with other stuff. I started homebrewing from kits last year to save cash, and now own a full all-grain brewing setup with stainless steel kegs and CO2 tanks for the beer to go in.

The "saves money" never seems to ring true... ;)

This afternoon I have been sorting through my boxes of blades, boxes that store the boxes razors originally came in, then places for the razors themselves (I keep them out of the boxes for easy access), then soaps and creams which I'm keeping but aren't in regular rotation (at the moment at least). My home is a two bedroom flat and this takes up all the en suite and all the spare space in my wardrobe cupboard and on top of the wardrobe,and I have had partial clear outs before. Took me ages to get all the stuff out, pack things together and put it away more tidily and looking at it now I still have the same amount of stuff - tonnes - just less easily accessible now!
3,500 blades, about 150 cartridges, not even sure how many razors (down to about 20 I think), about 70-80 soaps and creams.
I should have a big sale but I love all the stuff I have and it will get used, just very, v e r y, s l o w l y.

NotTheStig said:
This afternoon I have been sorting through my boxes of blades, boxes that store the boxes razors originally came in, then places for the razors themselves (I keep them out of the boxes for easy access), then soaps and creams which I'm keeping but aren't in regular rotation (at the moment at least). My home is a two bedroom flat and this takes up all the en suite and all the spare space in my wardrobe cupboard and on top of the wardrobe,and I have had partial clear outs before. Took me ages to get all the stuff out, pack things together and put it away more tidily and looking at it now I still have the same amount of stuff - tonnes - just less easily accessible now!
3,500 blades, about 150 cartridges, not even sure how many razors (down to about 20 I think), about 70-80 soaps and creams.
I should have a big sale but I love all the stuff I have and it will get used, just very, v e r y, s l o w l y.

Christ! I thought I had a lot of blades, around 230, but that's something else!

To be fair though I'd love to have that much stuff, just wish my wallet would agree...

I only have 4 or 5 soaps, IIRC, at the time being, I wouldn't even be able to name that many.

Haha, very slowly, even more slowly when it keeps getting added to I'd imagine! :D

Trust me, my wallet can't take the strain! Built up this lot over three years or so. Got a decent stash but kept going. I want the seven year old to one day use my stuff but he'll probably only be interested in stuff I haven't got!

i've been using my gillette sensor for my last 2 shaves and have rediscovered it as a great performer. i moved onto DE shaving because of the costs and will stay as it's a more satisfying experience but with my improved technique i've quite enjoyed using the cartridges again.

*dilemma*

SmallBeard said:
...I can't stand the thought of buying 5 blades for 2.10, when I can get 100 for 14.40.
This is what irks me about these sample packs. The creams are even worse :/ I realise the company wants to make a profit but ~£2 for a 10g sample should cost 50p for the soap alone. However I guess postage on top and the cost for the jars/tins all contribute to the higher cost per gram.

flip-68 said:
i've been using my gillette sensor for my last 2 shaves and have rediscovered it as a great performer. i moved onto DE shaving because of the costs and will stay as it's a more satisfying experience but with my improved technique i've quite enjoyed using the cartridges again.

*dilemma*

Same here, used the Sensor this morning and there was no irritation. This was my 4th shave with the same cartridge.

Re: RE: Cartridge vs DE

anotheruser said:
SmallBeard said:
...I can't stand the thought of buying 5 blades for 2.10, when I can get 100 for 14.40.
This is what irks me about these sample packs. The creams are even worse :/ I realise the company wants to make a profit but ~£2 for a 10g sample should cost 50p for the soap alone. However I guess postage on top and the cost for the jars/tins all contribute to the higher cost per gram.
I imagine once a bottle is opened it'll not get completely used up immediately on further samples. The sample is paid for but the rest of the bottle will have to sit there and be used for samples in the future. Guess it depends on how many samples they sell v full products

I tried to stop thinking about savings. That may have been what brought me to de shaving but even if I never bought anything else, I don't think id save anything :(. Then again, I was lucky, I could still get a reasonable shave from a month old cartridge of pretty much any type, used 6 days a week but it was only ever used for 1 ATG pass in the shower and gave me a very good shave.

Is it unfashionable to refer to "aquisition disorders" these days? Not noticed a reference in this thread nor in any of our forums for an age.

I'm amazed that inspite of having the internet at their disposal, so many posters limit their purchasing in an almost parochial manner. There's a world of goodies out there!

SmallBeard said:
As a recent convert to DE razors, I was wondering how much you save using DE blades in comparison to cartridges?

I just hate to think how much I've wasted when I could have been shaving like this from the off!

Well, just over a month down the line and I've spent more on stuff now than I have in my whole life....

That wasn't the plan :D

There is no doubt that DE shaving, over the course of a year and beyond, could save money. Initial investment in the permanents items - razor & brush (even buying decent models) could be, say £30-£35. The consumables can be cheap as chips (estimate 125 blades for a year) would work out at under £20. So first year investment £50, year on year, £20.

Has the switch to DE shaving saved me money? No. Emphatically no. Has it enhanced my morning? You bet it has.

Spend what you can and enjoy. The truth is there are some great products out there for not a lot of money...

Jon

I've acquired a lot of new shaving gear over the last month or three.

But my new 'thing', which is now starting to cost me a fair bit of cash, is a spin-off from my return to wet DE shaving - men's soaps. Not shaving soaps, just soaps. Bath soaps.

I've got quite a collection starting and it has now become very much a fundamental part of my pre-shave routine, replacing shower gels.

I find they smell better, feel nicer and work far better.

TOBS do some lovely ones as do T&H and Musgo Real. The collection is starting to blossom nicely.

Anyone else got a decent soaps collection - or is it just me?

jds said:
There is no doubt that DE shaving, over the course of a year and beyond, could save money. Initial investment in the permanents items - razor & brush (even buying decent models) could be, say £30-£35. The consumables can be cheap as chips (estimate 125 blades for a year) would work out at under £20. So first year investment £50, year on year, £20.

Has the switch to DE shaving saved me money? No. Emphatically no. Has it enhanced my morning? You bet it has.

Spend what you can and enjoy. The truth is there are some great products out there for not a lot of money...

Jon

Same here, although I shave at night when I can't sleep, but I've became somewhat obsessed with shaving now, and it's just much more of a pleasure. I don't drink, smoke, gamble or have any other vices, so I nominate shaving to be my vice :D.

I think my favourite cost vs performance comparison is the palmolive stick.

For 49-50p you really do get so much for your money.

I have Maca Root shave cream on order (awaiting dispatch STILL!!!) and have heard it's excellent, and I'm very much looking forward to its arrival.

sagesmith said:
I've acquired a lot of new shaving gear over the last month or three.

But my new 'thing', which is now starting to cost me a fair bit of cash, is a spin-off from my return to wet DE shaving - men's soaps. Not shaving soaps, just soaps. Bath soaps.

I've got quite a collection starting and it has now become very much a fundamental part of my pre-shave routine, replacing shower gels.

I find they smell better, feel nicer and work far better.

TOBS do some lovely ones as do T&H and Musgo Real. The collection is starting to blossom nicely.

Anyone else got a decent soaps collection - or is it just me?

I'm just going to pretend I've not read this before I spend more money :blush:

Back
Top Bottom