Cartridge vs DE

Hi there,

As a recent convert to DE razors, I was wondering how much you save using DE blades in comparison to cartridges?

I'd get maybe 8 shaves out of my Mach 3 before I'd switch blades; I don't have a very coarse beard.

These would cost about 7 quid for 4, so for 7 quid I'd get 32 shaves.

I've just purchased 100 Astra SP's for 9 quid, and I'm getting 3 shaves out of each blade. I could probably get more because as I said my beard isn't very thick, but don't see the point for the price.

So for 2 quid extra I'm getting 268 extra shaves.

If you stuck to one blade, how much do you save in comparison to cartridge razors? That's if you previously used cartridge razors, and not electric...

I just hate to think how much I've wasted when I could have been shaving like this from the off!

By the time you buy a nice chrome, a couple of vintages. Some nice soaps and creams plus the right brush for each one there is not a lot in it.

More fun though.

If it is just down to a DE razor and blades vs. Cartridge, the DE is cheaper. It goes further though, you buy better brushes, cream and After shave, then you buy a selection of razors, blades, aftershave, cologne and other manly stuff like torches, knives, and Espresso Machines.

Is DE shaving cheaper. Yes.
Does joining this forum help you save money, absolutely not, no chance at all for you now. ;-

If I ever reached the stage where I couldn't afford a new pack of cartridges every few months I'd probably have much more pressing issues to worry about.

joe mcclaine said:
If I ever reached the stage where I couldn't afford a new pack of cartridges every few months I'd probably have much more pressing issues to worry about.

see thats how we get 'em to convert. "Its cheaper over all" we say, then once they buy a beginner kit it becomes "Its just such a better shave." Finally, it ends with us telling 'em "This 1920's vintage Gillette is the best thing yet along with these 3 brushes, both of these creams, and dont forget this AS!"

I agree with the comments it is not just down to the money because the quality of the shave and the experience of using a wonderful cream and brush. However I used to spend ~£25 a year on cartridge blades, whereas I am currently working my way through 100 Rapiras which cost me less than £7, I use a blade per week so that works out at about £3.50 a year for DE blades. I have not been too embroiled in acquisition disorders, but still it would take me a number of years if I was ever to break-even after the razors I bought in my first year of DE shaving.

Sikario said:
joe mcclaine said:

see thats how we get 'em to convert. "Its cheaper over all" we say, then once they buy a beginner kit it becomes "Its just such a better shave." Finally, it ends with us telling 'em "This 1920's vintage Gillette is the best thing yet along with these 3 brushes, both of these creams, and dont forget this AS!"

Eh?

I wonder does anyone get into traditional wet shaving, look around the shops and internet forums, and save money?

Can't see it!

What I get from it is a smooth shave which I can do, go straight out the door from, and admire. That's a great improvement from shaving at night and hoping that it was repaired enough (for the next day) not to look awful. For me it's some change from being poor quality and often demoralising, to actually being something I look forward to and really enjoy doing every day.

I also enjoy the hobby part of it and it's nice to follow the latest news and shaving gear, as well as keeping up with people's latest methods and ideas.

Mark

Lose the beard said:
If it is just down to a DE razor and blades vs. Cartridge, the DE is cheaper. It goes further though, you buy better brushes, cream and After shave, then you buy a selection of razors, blades, aftershave, cologne and other manly stuff like torches, knives, and Espresso Machines.

Is DE shaving cheaper. Yes.
Does joining this forum help you save money, absolutely not, no chance at all for you now. ;-

John said:
LOL DE is cheaper but joining TSR isn't good for the wallet,but having said that I wouldn't be whare I am now with out joining TSR :icon_razz:

Roefisher said:
I wonder does anyone get into traditional wet shaving, look around the shops and internet forums, and save money?

Can't see it!

What I get from it is a smooth shave which I can do, go straight out the door from, and admire. That's a great improvement from shaving at night and hoping that it was repaired enough (for the next day) not to look awful. For me it's some change from being poor quality and often demoralising, to actually being something I look forward to and really enjoy doing every day.

I also enjoy the hobby part of it and it's nice to follow the latest news and shaving gear, as well as keeping up with people's latest methods and ideas.

Mark

I agree, I'm already hooked! Just browsing these forums, reading about different brushes, razors etc. I'm thinking to myself "I have to get myself one of these", I think every day since I've joined this forum I've added another product to my favourites, my bank account won't be happy when I decide to buy it all!

I don't expect to save money now I've started this, because as I said there's already so much extra that I want to buy and try, but I think that's the beauty of shaving this way. The result is so much better, and the experience is so much more enjoyable, that you're always wanting to better your equipment, or experiment different things.

I don't think I've ever said "I really want to try the gillette fusion" or anything like that, because then shaving was just something that had to be done, it wasn't fun, but just one of them things. But now, I can't help myself thinking "I really want to try a better brush", or "I wonder how this blade shaves in comparison to this one", which is something I never thought about, or cared about before I started shaving this way (and before I became a member of TSR of course).

Just out of interest, where do you guys buy most of your bits from in the uk? I've been on connaughts and I've favourited a few bits off there, nothing major at the moment but I have a feeling when I get paid I may get carried away!

My initial question was aimed pretty much just at blades, as I can't believe really how much they charge for the cartridges, and I also can't imagine anyone shaving this way sticking to just one of anything. It's too addictive.

SmallBeard said:
Just out of interest, where do you guys buy most of your bits from in the uk?

Quite often I use:

Executive shaving: http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/
Shaving Shack http://www.shaving-shack.com/

Plus sometimes direct from the shops in St James, Truefitt and Hill are good when there's offers on (sign up to recieve them), and Taylors of Old Bond Street.

I use eBay quite a lot too, not for used stuff, usually I get my blades there.

Again Connaughts, Ebay and all the usual outlets mentioned on TSR.

Don't discount overseas sellers such as,

http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/

http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com/. ( excellent retailer and 10% off for TSR members very quick delivery)

http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/

http://shop.bestshave.net/

Just watch what you buy from non EU countries or you will get stung by customs and the Royal Mail.

Back
Top Bottom