Cartridge vs DE

chrisbell said:
Vinny reckons he gets a shedload of shaves from Fusion cartridges as well.

Yep.

A month of daily (one pass) face shaves and twice-a-week head shaves without even trying.

The blade isn't dull or anything - I just change them every month so I know how many months I've got left before buying more.

I used to get six weeks or more of two pass shaves out of a mach 3, no problem, and, like Vinny, changed more for routine than because of real bluntness. Same with an Azor. I don't shave my chin, which may or may not be a factor.

I recently got 5 or 6 (2/3 pass) shaves from a Sensor 3 cart. By then it had dulled to the point of not doing its job even going over the same place more times than is wise. I was trying to see just how many shaves I could get from it, but that was it's lot. So no great longevity advantage over a DE blade for me. It's a long while back now but if I recall correctly I used to get about a week n a half of 1 pass shaves from a Mach 3, something similar from a Quattro. 2 weeks would've been a max, if I'd not got round to changing the blade sooner. Why am I telling you all this? Buggered if I know.

SamuraiJack said:
If any of you gents have an antidote to this RAD please PM me and name your price.

I am afraid to report that there is no known cure! There are only two things ( in experts opinions) that can alleviate some of the symptoms, first is a thing called a wife, the second is bankruptcy

Enjoy it while it lasts :)

For me it was a no brainer. I enjoy the shave more with a DE and I find it is much closer (I don't know where Gillette get their facts from about 5 blades getting closer because for me it simply isn't true at all).

I used to use Hydro 3 by Wilkinson. They were £6 per 4 pack so that would be £1.50 per cartridge?

One blade would last about a week because the blades started corroding at that point (perhaps due to the Gel insert?). So £1.50 per week

On the DE end of the scale, I purchased a box of 100 Shark Super Chrome DE blades for £10. That is 10p per blade. I can get about 3 shaves per blade before it begins to hurt. As I enjoy it much more, I now shave pretty much daily (except maybe at the weekend) so it would work out 2 blades per week.

20p per week instead of £1.50 per week. Or, the way I tempt my friends is: £10 for a year's worth of amazing, satisfying shaves instead of £75 for cartridges.

It does even out a little once you factor in the inevitable obsession for soaps and creams that you pick up, but even if you are a complete beginner, look at it this way:

You could get a nice starter DE handle (like a decent Parker) for £20, a good pure Badger brush for £15, good shave shop soap in wood bowl for £20 (you'd maybe need another refill for £10). That comes to £65. A year's worth of real good shaves for £65, £10 cheaper than the cost of just the blades for a Hydro 3. That's not including the tins of blue goo. Mach 3 is even more expensive than my example too.

octopus said:
Leslie145 said:
Have I got the softest beard in Christendom? Just changed the cartridge on my EJ M3 for the first time since Xmas - I can honestly get a good couple of months' shaves from one of these with no burn/irritation & always get a good result... I am genuinely puzzzled Icon_rolleyes

Are you saving you get an average of 48 shaves out of each cartridge if you shave 6 days in a week? That's amazing :icon_rolleyes:

To be honest I usually (used to) shave every other day, but I do find they last a long time with me.

However, since I've joined here, I'm tending to shave daily :blush:

the amazing thing is that when i used cartridges i only ever had one tin of goo at a time and was very happy with such a small set up. now i have such an array of soaps and creams i'm starting to miss the simplicity.

i think once i use up my stash i'll try to keep a smaller amount of software.

(i'm kidding myself, aren't i?)

I get 7 good shaves from NOS GII cartridges (Wilkinson & Gillette). The Wilkinsons are a bit rough on the first shave, but very good afterwards.

But them being NOS means they are not available anymore in the shops. And I don't like the current GII and Contour cartridges, so I decided to dive into the DE scene as well ;)

In contrast, I get 4 good shaves from a Personna Red (and 2 mediocre shaves from a Derby). On the other hand, there is much more choice in DE blades than in GII cartridges (I prefer the non-pivoting handle over the Contour), especially when you want to avoid the dreaded lubrastrip.

At the moment I get around 50 shaves from a Tesco Matrix cartridge.

That works out at around 1p per shave.

I'm going to have to get around a fortnight's shaves per blade if I buy the Rapira's to get the same cost per shave.

However, I have not been seduced by the idea of DE and proper lather by cost considerations.

Even if I don't succumb to RAD this is never going to be a money saver.

Back
Top Bottom