Buying new car

YEs congrats Sharon, you're in the heart of LPG conversion country too so if your mileage can justify it it's worth looking into, cheaper fuel and tax.

soapalchemist said:
I don't know why Mabs is having such a go at my renowned culinary skills. Deep fried battered cucumber is a well known Black Country delicacy, usually served nestling on a bed of lightly blanched lettuce, drizzled with salad cream.

Ok, let's just talk about the 'lightly blanched' lettuce part. That is pretty damn close to putting lettuce in boiling water. And you do that why? Must be that it makes the dish better in some way. Oh jeeez, is the lettuce served hot? I bet it is.......oh boy howdy yes. I do love hot lettuce in anything. Do you fine chop the lettuce up before 'blanching' it? Or maybe just break up the leaves a bit, depending on what's used? Oh, that's where "I cooked a salad" came from....boiling the lettuce. Hah, good one Toots! You see that John? She was messin with us both.

I don't even wanna look up what 'salad cream' is,

Mabs

Tall_Paul said:
One of these

3468571595_3e2928fe8d.jpg

You made me smile, thinking about my own personal Dinty Moore Whole Canned Chicken experience back in 1970-71 ish. Yep, packed so nicely in the gooey clumpy gel.......really a nice presentation. You would never know it was out of a can. Ok, I am kidding about the last part. You would know pretty easily. Whew....slight shudder at the memory of that meeting between Dinty and me. It was one of the items brought when doing a little camping and LSD. Yep, boys only kinda thing with maybe 6-8 friends. Rained a good part on the one day we dropped and that was when I saw the chicken being decanned.

Years ago I did a search of what products Dinty Moore sold in other countries. Many things less palatable than whole canned skinless canned chickens. I believe we were unable to eat ours though.

Thanks for bringing that memory to the surface,

Mart

Well, blanched lettuce sounds like a much better idea than skinned canned chicken, which is surely an abomination in the eyes of all men and any God. And let's face it, whatever you do or don't do with lettuce, it's tasteless sh*te. Sorry if that offends anyone, but really, it's not any kind of food, it's just something that expends more calories in the chewing than the imbibing. And surely, to get any significant nutrition from it (even unblanched) you would have to dedicate yourself to chewing like cows do - as in all goddamn day.
As for the car......I'll have to do some math re: LPG conversion suggestion. Our mileage is on the low side, and how long is the remaining lifespan of the car? Also, do they have to put a tank in the boot??!?!? That would definitely be a no-no, boot is half the size of the Disco already. Although I have to say, I'm a bit gutted to see that there's no significant difference in fuel consumption between this and the Disco. I presumed that as a smaller car, there would be? But hey, yis have probably gathered, I'm on a steep learning curve. I've already learned that on U.S. sites they would grind those 'lipped' break discs down in their giant workshops with their giant power tools (advisory on last MOT); U.K. sites ask how much should the mechanic's garage (with the giant workshop and giant power tools) charge.
So how much should they? I'm a bit of a hard breaker (and therefore a great believer in respecting stopping distances), so likely this will be required at next MOT (March '14). Anyone know? Just the front brakes apparently. First item on the MOTs for the last 7 years, apart from all 4 tyres (at about 75K ish). Other than that, a couple of lights.
I never know what to make of advisories......they just kindof worry me.:s

soapalchemist said:
Although I have to say, I'm a bit gutted to see that there's no significant difference in fuel consumption between this and the Disco. I presumed that as a smaller car, there would be? But hey, yis have probably gathered, I'm on a steep learning curve. I've already learned that on U.S. sites they would grind those 'lipped' break discs down in their giant workshops with their giant power tools (advisory on last MOT); U.K. sites ask how much should the mechanic's garage (with the giant workshop and giant power tools) charge.
So how much should they? I'm a bit of a hard breaker (and therefore a great believer in respecting stopping distances), so likely this will be required at next MOT (March '14). Anyone know? Just the front brakes apparently. First item on the MOTs for the last 7 years, apart from all 4 tyres (at about 75K ish). Other than that, a couple of lights.
I never know what to make of advisories......they just kindof worry me.:s

New disks + pads shouldn't be too much for that and as you've discovered a lipped disk is a MOT fail unless you have a grinder. Yeah we did try and warn you about fuel consumption, twice in fact but you were clearly desperate hence the thought about LPG conversion but you'll have to do the sums for that and I doubt they will stick a tank in the wheel well of the rear door. Hard breaking just means you're going too fast, braking too late or probably both, I'd get your eyes checked.

We had a customer in 2 weeks ago with a 2007 rav4 with these silly runflat tyres on, asking us to change them 4 new ones, simple little job ? Nah this has a tyre inside a tyre system when the main tyre deflates the inner tyre inflates aaaarrgggghhh!!!!!! On calling toyota and bridgstone they inform us that there is a special tyre stretchin machine needed and the nearest one to us is in manchester, we are in essex basildon. 3 hours later we got the tyre back on the beed and fcuked the customer off too toyota. The kicker here they want £200 per tyre labor and say 4 tyres take all day. Nice

Sounds painful, so I'm hoping I don't have those tyres.
Antdad, I will try to break earlier to protect my brakes, I'm not whiplash bad......

Well I thought admitting to being a "hard braker" was a bit odd...as if you have no control or you're exercising little of it, you aren't a seventeen year old grandmother I take it.

I don't want you to be perfect I want you to be careful but not for your sake because you're relatively safe in that steel box. Whether you realise it or not (and clearly by your reaction you don't) hard braking is just something you do and worse still you don't even view it as a function of your poor driving in general which is actually quite scary.

hunnymonster said:
This is the gear to make you heave... I tried this nearly 20 years ago and I'm retching at the thought of it now...
ete4yvuj.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riJl6qdkXJ4

Yep, that was one of the items I remember seeing destined for Third World countries like the UK. No need to heat it up......luscious right outta the can. Actually, I think Toots probably likes to ' lightly blanch' the unopened can for a few minutes before serving.

Just so's you know, Mabs and Toots, in Japan they do 'blanch' lettuce! Not an everyday thing, but it goes very well with Kobe beef - just flashed into the stock wok the beef is 'cooked' in - not much more than a flash for that, too - and expertly swizzled up with your chopsticks. Except it was all done for me by a very attractive young lady whose name I have long since forgotten.

dodgy said:
Yep, that was one of the items I remember seeing destined for Third World countries like the UK.

I only ever saw it for sale in the US... only seen it over here when a can has been imported for prank purposes... like when my cousin got married - we slipped into her house while she was on honeymoon, delabelled all the cans in the cupboard, introduced some "bonus" cans (including pork brains, Winalot, Surströmming,...) and shuffled them around.

dodgy said:
Actually, I think Toots probably likes to ' lightly blanch' the unopened can for a few minutes before serving.

You should send her a can ;)

hunnymonster said:
dodgy said:
Actually, I think Toots probably likes to ' lightly blanch' the unopened can for a few minutes before serving.

You should send her a can ;)

She'd be offhandedly posting something like " I cooked dinner tonight". Handy being able to 'cook' both the appetizer (rabbit food) and the main course in the same water!

Well I went to a site and saw the whole skinless chicken being decanned. Oh man, it looked exactly like I remember it. I probably blocked some stuff out that's too horrible to remember when seen in the naked flesh. The chicken being naked.

What the hell was I thinking to do that search.

Back
Top Bottom