Buying new car

I know nothing about cars apart from how to drive one. I've seen what looks like a bargain on Ebay. Can anyone recommend a good website where I can check it isn't stolen/ written off/ still on HP etc. Has anyone ever bought a car on Ebay? Our 19 year old car has failed MOT and we're looking for another, but need it asap.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post the link so we can have a look, chances are it's a high miler if it's much cheaper than you expect.

You know, if it's too good to be true and all that...

hpi.co.uk will check all the details you are interested in.

I wouldn't recommend a Freelander to my worst enemy. While working in vehicle recovery industry the number of these I would see with varying mechanical / electrical faults was incredible. Of course others here may own one and swear by it but that was my experience of them.

One's eco credentials go out the window when it comes to protecting your DNA huh?

For a ten year old car it's exceptionally clean I must say but it needs a new clutch so take someone along who can can confirm that...seems to need or has had a lot of work done for such a low miler is my initial thought but then a quick search reveals these go for around 2K anyway.

soapalchemist said:
Our 19 year old car has failed MOT and we're looking for another, but need it asap.

What's cookin Toots,

Actually, I probably don't wanna know what you're cooking.....most likely all mushy and tasteless whatever it is. I know I know, it's how you foreign people like your food prepared. Oh yeah, being sure to overpower everything with that nasty mustard. It's almost like you guys have some kinda grudge against whatever food you're preparing.

So you will have to be patient when trying to find another 19 year old car. Those are tough to come by. Could you settle for one that's maybe only 15-16 years old if need be? Sometimes you gotta be a little bit flexible.

Glad to help out,

Mabs

Martin is just picking on you! Now for a real deal... I have a nice red scooter that only needs a minimal (1500£) :)-(amount of repair to it to get it back on the road. Sure we can work something out.

sjrobertson said:
hpi.co.uk will check all the details you are interested in.

I wouldn't recommend a Freelander to my worst enemy. While working in vehicle recovery industry the number of these I would see with varying mechanical / electrical faults was incredible. Of course others here may own one and swear by it but that was my experience of them.

Those early Freelanders do have a bad reputation. The newer models are much improved.

I know someone who had an original model for years with no issues, but I think they were a lucky exception.

It looks quite a tidy motor in the piture, ask for proof on the water pump/cambelt, I'd doubt you'd get the clutch done for £200/250, more likely to be double that

Terry

Thanks for the info so far gents. A long and sweaty walk to the local garage turned up a very shiny looking Disco; but with 122,000 on the clock, 2004 model, I thought at £6,250 it was a bit pricey. Any thoughts on that?
And does anyone know at what stage the Freelanders became more reliable? Can't be coping with constant trips to garages to speak to people about things I don't understand.:icon_rolleyes: I've found two locally, a 2006 and 2007. Would those be any better than the 2003 one on cyberboot?
Antdad, I'm blaming lack of econess entirely on HWMOM, who insists he wants this type of car.
Mabs. I'll have you know I'm well acquainted with spices, love szechuan pepper. Johnus, a moped isn't going to cut it, but thanks for the offer.

Johnus said:
Martin is just picking on you! Now for a real deal... I have a nice red scooter that only needs a minimal (1500£) :)-(amount of repair to it to get it back on the road. Sure we can work something out.

I apologize for Johnus causing me to derail this thread a bit. He is still a lovable old coot though

So John, you are old enough to remember when the mid 1960s Honda bikes (90 through 250cc) were popular. Back then there was no such thing as needing a special license to walk right into a store and rent one for a day. Hell, that's how lots of people learned how to ride. Of course, it was a little dangerous.

Ok, once again I am sorry for his barging in here.

Back
Top Bottom