Buying new car

soapalchemist said:
Oh Gawd, now I'm totally confused. Going to try to see the Toyota today............
Father Ted, stupid question I'm sure, but are you talking about the Freelander?:icon_rolleyes:

Yes he is, the K series engine was used by Rover ie Landrover.

IF your'e buying from a garage and they offer a limited warranty but are unwilling to budge much on price, they'll often extend it to sweeten the deal. That'll give you some additional reassurance at least and try not to look too desperate even though you are.

BTW Sharon if you're seeing that Rav4 I listed, it is 150 bhp so none too easy on the gas, tax and insurance I would imagine if that's a concern.

For a second hand car or 4x4 there is only one way. The Japanese way and in the follwoing order Honda ,Nissan, Suzuki, Toyota.

Thanks again gents, we're hopeless at bargaining, but I'll give it a go and try not to look too needy. Antdad, I know the ongoing costs will be high, but presumably no higher than former Disco, hopefully a little more economical on the fuel?
Here's some of an article from Jan 2010 Telegraph

The recent adverse weather has demonstrated the occasional merits of all-wheel drive, but a new survey highlights which 4x4s are the most reliable.

According to Warranty Direct's assessment of claims for repairs, the most reliable used 4x4 is the Honda CR-V. The mid-size Honda is followed by smaller or similarly sized off-roaders: Suzuki's Grand Vitara was second for reliability, followed by the Toyota RAV4 and the Mitsubishi Shogun.

The Audi A6 Allroad (2000-2005) was named the least reliable pre-owned 4x4, followed by the Volkswagen Touareg, the BMW X5 and the Jeep Cherokee.

Each car was scored according to the company's Reliability Index, taking into account how often vehicles between three and eight years old break down, average repair costs and time spent in the garage. The lower the score, the more reliable the car.

The CR-V scored 23, with the average repair bill being £239. The Allroad, by contrast, recorded a score of 281 with an average repair cost of £516.
Related Articles

Range Rover turns 40
08 Jun 2010

New Jeep Cherokee at 2013 New York Auto Show
25 Mar 2013
Sponsored

Test driving the Volkswagen up!

The best-rated European car is the latest version of Land Rover's Freelander, the previous version of which fared badly in Warranty Direct's survey. It scored 66, with average repair costs pegged at £370

So it looks like the newer Freelander may not be too bad; but newer will cost an arm and a leg. HWMOM has his eye on the only one in Stourbridge from a garage that I can find, but it would bankrupt us.

Try using Autotrader and play around with the search parameters, you'll have more luck I think...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/honda/cr-v/postcode/dy82dd/radius/20/sort/default/onesearchad/used

I agree with whoever recommended a Berlingo (Compact MPV), better value and for 3.5 K newer, cheaper to run and fairly upright.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/citroen/berlingo_multispace/postcode/dy82dd/radius/20/onesearchad/used/sort/default

Indeed I was talking about the Freelander.

If you really really really like the Hippo (and I have to admit, I do) then find a well looked after 2.0 L series diesel, even then expect electrical items to do strange and often annoying things and clutches to laugh in your face.
11.jpg

The Kettle series engine is to be avoided at all costs, only the 8v 1400cc engine was in any way reliable, even then, not that much.

If your head is buying, choose a Toyota.

Went and test drove the Toyota Rav4 today, nice looking car although will take a bit of getting used to after the tank like Disco. Now just need to persuade HWMOM that we should buy it. He's still keen to go look at the modern and vastly expensive Freelander. Later in the day spent a happy 3 hours trying to put together a wooden garden swing seat. I generally regard myself as quite good with flat pack assembly, but this takes the biscuit. Not helped by instructions that are totally incomprehensible. Will probably manage to complete the job just as the rain starts.:-/

A friend bought a Rav$ for her home in Spain - which is up some rough mountain roads. She liked it so much she bought another one to keep at home in Hampshire and swears by it, as well. As far as she is concerned, Rav4s are the answer to motoring needs.

They seem to be bulletproof don't they (plenty for sale that are 150,000 mile +) which is always a good sign.

Here's a prettier one...(due diligence required)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307017579240/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/model/rav4/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/radius/20/page/1/postcode/dy82dd?logcode=p

+1 for the rav4.

Mine is 5 years old now and never spent 1 day at the garage apart from the annual scheduled services. Very cheap to maintain as well although being an auto and petrol engine stings in fuel consumption.

It has served me well wether loading and carrying a LOT of items, to my windsurfing adventures, etc

If i was buying second handed suv i would by a rav or a landcruiser without second thoughts, though diesel this time.

Thanks again for all your help guys; I've now committed to the Rav4 and will hopefully be picking it up on Thursday. I'm looking forward to it, and having a car again. Must have walked miles in the last week. Not altogether a bad thing. :)

The AA do a Breakdown Repair Cover.

Might be worth looking into.
It costs around £80. If your car breaks down, they will pay upto £500 for the repair with a £35 xs. You can make upto 5 claims a year.

I have had it a few years.
I had to have a new battery, cost me £35 instead of £120.
When my radiator leaked I paid £35 for a new one instead of £250.

Cheers Dipesh, and thanks Antdad for the link. I never would have thought of looking at a car like this. It's in very good condition on the outside anyway, very shiny. The Disco was dull and scratched and banged about. So I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of shiny car owners. I might even wash this one occasionally.

I'm afraid I went all English.....but shure I'm off to the Emerald Isle again soon, so hopefully that can be sorted out.:icon_wink:
Thanks for the tip on breakdown cover MrK1, I have breakdown cover, but will definitely think about that.

Back
Top Bottom