Bread...something new.

Same no knead recipe...different cooking method without the scalding oven dish. The cling film trick works but if you know how to manipulate wet dough I wouldn't really bother.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX_6l2bmvQI[/youtube]

Silly me I preheated the oven as if I was using the original oven dish method and didn't let it prove long enough second time round, soon realised after 5 minutes the loaf was burning but surprisingly I achieved a decent crust even though I wasn't trying for one.

I'll need to experiment but NO SCOLDING POT to manipulate, it really couldn't be any easier.

ciab1.jpg

ciab2.jpg

ciab3.jpg

looks nice, I might give it a go, wtf is the guy in the video on about, reckons he invented putting butter on bread :lol:

Dear Bread Thread,

my mix is currently in its bowl for the 24hr rise. Overnight it's already gone bubbly and frothy looking like something you might put inside a Dalek.......

Tonight I'm doing the foldy thing leaving for 2 hrs in the tea towel then bake!!

I shall report back. Got the yeast and flour from Lidl.

Thanks for posting Antdad.

Kindest,
Tim.

12.30hrs
now resting for 2 hrs.

Sounds promising.

A 24hr prove is really at the upper limit though. A 12 - 18hr overnight prove is fine for the most part especially as day/night temperatures are quite reasonable now.

With flour, ideally you want "strong" bread flour with high protein content 12.0% +, it can be done with less as discussed but if you want texture and good crumb aim high. I think Hunny and I both like Sainsbury's own branded strong white bread flour, it's the strongest I've personally found at 13.4% protein which is stronger than branded strong flours when I've checked.

Not forgetting the instant rapid yeast, it's all much of a muchness but it isn't the stuff you have to hydrate.

1.5kg Flour £1 + Box of rapid yeast satchets, 80p (use little, lasts forever and can actually go off as I discovered), Salt, Water, Love.

antdad said:
Sounds promising.

A 24hr prove is really at the upper limit though. A 12 - 18hr overnight prove is fine for the most part especially as day/night temperatures are quite reasonable now.

With flour, ideally you want "strong" bread flour with high protein content 12.0% +, it can be done with less as discussed but if you want texture and good crumb aim high. I think Hunny and I both like Sainsbury's own branded strong white bread flour, it's the strongest I've personally found at 13.4% protein which is stronger than branded strong flours when I've checked.

Not forgetting the instant rapid yeast, it's all much of a muchness but it isn't the stuff you have to hydrate.

1.5kg Flour £1 + Box of rapid yeast satchets, 80p (use little, lasts forever and can actually go off as I discovered), Salt, Water, Love.

Well it has come out of the oven about 15 mins ago!! Me and the missus have had a warm slice each with butter.
Lovely!! Very crunchy crumb!! and not quite risen enough but good flavour and pretty good texture.
Looks like a really posh artisan loaf.
Nice one AD>
I will experiment with olives and such. Can you add olive oil?
I can make it when friends come round for supper!!
Like a real chef,
Kindest
Tim.

Good stuff, easy isn't it?

Like starting to shave, I'd get the recipe and method down pat before deviating. I do have Lahey's book and he does have a green olive recipe version that I can add/forward. It'll still take a few go's to know what you are doing and get confidence.

As for not rising enough, could be a number of things that I can only guess at.

Check the spec and measure of your ingredients. Protein% flour, correct yeast etc.
You might have to leave it for longer during second prove depending on ambient temp, just wait till volume has at least doubled.
Make sure oven and pot are scalding hot if you want that crackling crust.

I know its extremely extremely hard to resist but if you munch it before it's cooled enough (1 or 2 hour min ) you'll compress the crumb while it's still damp plus it's less digestible. Kill joy I know, that's why I have to bake in evening and leave overnight.

Ah good stuff.
Yes the Protein is 12.5 so ok I think.
It is very crusty!!
Have you made rolls?
I think I may have had the tea towel a bit tight on 2nd rise.....
WE all LOVED it! It is easy and classy!
In will make PM next time and leave........sooooo tempting......
Cheers AD,
Tim.

Second loaf
100pc better all round and first ok!
Softer crust. Better texture. Better colour. Better flavour.
Did whole Italian platter to f
Go with it.
Cheers
Tim
Ps oven very!!! Hot!!

My first batch has been proving overnight, will bake it when I get back tonight.

When it's been so warm at night I've been finding it very easy to over prove the bread, in fact that's exactly what happened yesterday, perfectly edible but didn't have the usual spring.

well I thought mine looked pretty done so I mixed it for the second prove

img3952z.jpg

img3953p.jpg

How does that look to you?

Spot on. When it looks like its near to doubling in volume (roughly) get the oven including the dish (with lid on) preheating on max for 1/2 hour.

batch number 2 mixed up, Oven heating up for batch number 1. I might try the second one on a pizza stone rather than in the dish. I heard if you chuck a couple of ice cubes in at the beginning they will create the initial steam.

Why not although the "oven within an oven" method works by creating a super heated steam box that traps all the steam migrating out from the wet dough...you'll see.

Back
Top Bottom