Bread...something new.

The crumb was slightly more open than the loaf with strong flour and slightly less chewy. Again, the extra proving time could be accountable, but until I do a more controlled side-by-side comparison, I'd say that plain flour version is comparable or slightly better.

I found some 14% protein flour (Allinson Premium White Very Strong Bread Flour) and thought that this would make an interesting experiment. The crumb was the least open of the three (10,12,14%) and the least enjoyable. Having watched the video again, plain flour gave me a crumb that most resembles Lahey's.

http://www.millboitalianbreads.com/spring-ciabatta/spring-italian-ciabatta suggests that similar open texture breads are traditionally made with lower protein flours.

Extra protein/gluten allows you to form larger holes as well as produce a chewier crumb and crust, no question, that's if you create enough heat/steam that can utilise the extra stretchy gluten to begin with. If you happen to prefer the bread you are making with plain flour, great, you've saved yourself some dough but I'm not convinced by the conclusions you've drawn from the experiment. Having said that I'll certainly try experimenting with plain flour by initially cutting it with strong and seeing what sort of bread results.

It would be nice to see what you are talking about if you can post a pic.

bread6.jpg

I've contacted Sullivan St bakery so hopefully we'll find out what the actual protein content of the flour is that he uses...

"I've found that my recipes work well with any flour containing at least 11.5% grams of protein per cup but as all purpose flour varies from brand to brand, bread flour offers more consistent results".

That's a point, 250 degC is the maximum on my oven and Lahey recommended the 260-270 degC range. The more glutenous doughs may be overcoming too much of my steam?

I'll try to take a picture of the next loaf out.

I tried a while back and the loaf didn't work out. I'm not sure whether it was my oven having a limited temperature or if I took too long putting the dough in the pot, or perhaps the pot I used was too big. I intend to have another try soon, but keep forgetting. As soon as I do I'll let you know! :oops:

panzanella said:
That's a point, 250 degC is the maximum on my oven and Lahey recommended the 260-270 degC range. The more glutenous doughs may be overcoming too much of my steam?

I'll try to take a picture of the next loaf out.

Could be, could be. It's the first blast of heat to hit the still fermenting dough that causes the "oven spring" and the most intense fermentation of all.

A loaf I cooked yesterday had been proving for an extra day (not intentionally) and I left it to 2nd prove for a good three hours before it looked right and I decided to bake it. A delighted friend came over with quite a nice loaf last night. I wasn't sure exactly what he did differently, except that he did say he inadvertently left for 4hrs to prove for a second time. Go with your instincts, if it doesn't look bubbly and stringy after the first prove just leave it for longer, same goes for the second prove if it doesn't look big enough leave it for longer despite the time passed.

The other big indicator that you've got it right is the weight, as soon as you pick it up you'll know, it should be noticeably light.

Hi Jim

This is a great thread. I've always wanted to make bread, but being a lazy so and so, I never got round to it. Would love giving this a go sometime soon.

I made pizza last week using a variation of a Jamie Oliver recipe. Surprisingly, it came out really good for a first attempt. But, bread is the one i've always wanted to go for. I sound like a fussy b*s***d, but I really can't eat supermaket bread anymore :x

Cheers

Hi Rocky, this is the perfect perfect recipe for the lazy and if you hate supermarket bread, it's easy, just a little time and planning required and no kneading to master. See my blog/signature for the concise recipe.

Only one problem though, the bread doesn't tend to last too long.

If, for example, it's made Sunday night and edible on Tuesday morning/lunchtime, I'll be a very happy bunny.
I really can't wait to try this out.

The pizza I made required about 10 minutes of kneading. I always get her to knead so, the mrs will be glad to hear the bread is no-knead, cos she was aching an all sorts after the pizza kneading.

She needs to get fitter.

How sweet to let the Mrs do all the work. :lol:

The bread from my experience has been perfectly edible after 5 days, actually it's at it's best when it's had a day or two fully drying out if you can resist.

I should experiment with my patented "breakfast bread". It's bread baked with sausages, bacon, black pudding etc in it. You bake the bread, then take a slice, toast it, add sauce (red or brown as you prefer), and it's like eating a full English breakfast.

Actually it's not. I only made it once and it wasn't a total success.

That's not like you to complicate things Dave? :shock:

Bakers, here's a nice little site, after getting a hint I ordered myself a proper proving basket and some Sekowa backferment to try.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bakerybits.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bakerybits.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

antdad said:
That's not like you to complicate things Dave? :shock:

Bakers, here's a nice little site, after getting a hint I ordered myself a proper proving basket and some Sekowa backferment to try.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bakerybits.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bakerybits.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

Top, top find, Jim. The big plastic bowl I was using to 'prove' my pizza dough was crap. This looks good. I've seen them use these at Paul - the fancy french bakery chain in London.

Just texted my old man not to throw out any of his old unworn and now, tight linen shirts. The Mrs can do a good knitting job on some baskets I've got in the loft. Will do for now.

Back
Top Bottom