Bread...something new.

Well here is the first attempt

img3955kz.jpg

I haven't cut into yet as I want some crust but it sounds pretty nice. Crumb pic to follow.

img3956y.jpg

I couldn't wait for it to cool any longer the smell was making me too hungry.
Very nice for a first attempt, the crust is really chewy and tasty, crumb was springy
Overall a great loaf of bread. Very easy to make.

Looks pretty darn good to me, really good fissure of crust, good crumb and I assume you were privy to the bakers chorus or in your case a crackling solo?

If you do happen to want darker thicker crust just experiment with longer cooking times the recipe can handle it.

Experienced and novices alike, if you like the results of the no knead method so far it seems there's a small development that might make the process a bit more flexible if not tastier.

After the initial overnight prove of 12 - 18 hrs or so it seems you can refrigerate the dough for up to 5 days to allow flavours to develop.

I'm sure you can see the potential here, you could knock up a larger batch by scaling up the original recipe, prove and then refrigerate until you are ready to bake. I've just baked a loaf using the original recipe and a 3 day fridge ferment with promising results, the second prove takes a little longer as the dough gets up to temperature but it seems to work. I haven't quite decided if it tastes radically better as I need to experiment more but if you bake a loaf everyday or two it might be worth considering.

I agree that rapid method isn't quite as good as the original.

I'm going to try making a double batch, proving for 18hr then fridging it for a few days and then making loafs on consecutive days and see how that works out.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/the-food-lab-the-science-of-no-knead-dough.html?ref=latestc

The article claims fermentation at lower temperature develops different flavours but if you haven't replenished it in anyway as you would with sour dough I'm not totally convinced by my one effort just yet.

Well we were given a couple of baking books for Christmas but instead of trying anything from there I remembered Tony's no-knead bread and went to his blog:

http://greatbread.blogspot.com

To cut a short story even shorter, here are my pics from twenty minutes ago:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8387/p1020427800x600.jpg

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/128/p1020428800x600.jpg

Sorry they don't appear in the thread but they're quite large and I can't be faffed with resizing them.

Anyway, the bread is lovely with a crisp crust and springy crumb. I don't know if I have done anything wrong but it actually reminds me of crumpets. This is no bad thing but I wonder if I need to adjust the process slightly. I baked it for forty minutes with the lid on the Le Creuset. Mrs PC took it out the oven and judged that it didn't need any longer, though Tony's recipe suggests another twenty with the lid off. Hmmm...comments please!

See original instructions...;)

Not bad but I can see the crumb is quite damp, it's a high hydration dough so you need to cook for longer and with the lid off to allow the steam to escape.

antdad said:
See original instructions...;)

Not bad but I can see the crumb is quite damp, it's a high hydration dough so you need to cook for longer and with the lid off to allow the steam to escape.

OK thanks. Next time I reckon I'll include some time with the lid off. 30 minutes on then fifteen off? Anyway, even if today's effort isn't perfect it's certainly tasty!

Sure, just increase the cooking time incrementally and see what works with your oven not forgetting to decrease the temp a bit.

You got a decent crumb and crust by the looks of things, it just needed longer in the oven to dry out.

Did you max your oven or did you hold back on the temperature a bit? Be honest now.

antdad said:
Did you max your oven or did you hold back on the temperature a bit? Be honest now.

I took it to the max, just like everything in my life!! :s The dial goes to 240 but I kept turning to where 260 would have been. It's a fan oven so I suppose that equates to about 240 in a normal oven.

Re: RE: Bread...something new.

Pig Cat said:
antdad said:

I took it to the max, just like everything in my life!! :s The dial goes to 240 but I kept turning to where 260 would have been. It's a fan oven so I suppose that equates to about 240 in a normal oven.

Other way PC... Most fan ovens say when converting "non fan" recipes that you drop the temperature by 10° and the cooking time by 10 minutes per hour so 260 fan would be 270 normally aspirated...

Back
Top Bottom