Bread...something new.

lol. Alright, alright.

Well, we can atleast use the blasted thing for heating. I.e. knead the dough ourselves and then use the machine to cook it and get the 'loaf' shape.
A bit like using a DE razor, but then using a 'new-age' balm to 'finish off'.

And if it's not, I'll put it on BST :mrgreen:

Worried about the crap quality, I decided against giving it to him for his b'day.
Used it last week.

Loaf looked lovely. Smelt great. Only problem was it was very spongy. I don't think it developed a 'crumb' either.
Perhaps too much water?

More experimentation needed.

Anyway, i'm at the library using the PC cos net (mobile dongle) at home is rubbish. So, gotta be quick. Picked up a few quality books from here on 'proper' home-made bread.

I've just tried this recipe. Wow, fantastic bread! I've been making bread for years with a machine, this the first go by hand. Mrs loved it too, now thinks I'm a bread god. Second batch on the go already.

Welcome to Krusty's SB.

Here's a slight variation by Lahey

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmUIj9FswU[/youtube]

Never taken pictures of food before, anyway here's one I made earlier....

sotd.jpg

as you can see it's half gone. :oops:

I know what you mean, I've been experimenting with some extra folding and extra proving, probably a little too much of both.

Unfortunately I'm not getting the great fissure of crust now that I've been slashing it with a razor...aha maybe too much slashing allows it to expand too easily.

The oven dish I use is about 12" x 8" and the face of the loaf is approx 6" x 3" which seems to work quite well with existing quantities.

Well I baked a double-batch loaf today... weighs a ton lol.

The crust/crumb ratio is all to cock (as far as I'm concerned), but otherwise it went well, slight adjustment of the "lid on" phase baking to 40' but otherwise no change and great taste & texture - just lacking in crust :ugeek:

All baked in an 8 litre jam pan (about 13" diameter) as per usual, after being dusted with black poppy seeds.

Poppy seeds is a good idea. Latest loaf was bit rushed, started and cooked in the same day (~15 hrs) , I'm not doing that again.

This one had 50g of wholemeal (for appeasement :roll: ) Either it didn't undergo secondary proving for long enough because I wanted to go to bed or the wholemeal flour had an adverse effect. The wholemeal did make a good and tasty crust, the crumb was a bit closed probably to be expected.

I will try the recipe again but with less time pressure.

deadbq.jpg

Just for me Hunny and I it seems...daily bread bump - with pictures too.

No knead dough, after 20 hrs or so of proving.
bread1.jpg

Big pile of snot
bread2.jpg

Flour everything so you can form it easily
bread3.jpg

Took ages to prove, kitchen was cold last night.
bread4.jpg

Oven on MAX and after 40 minutes with lid on, another 20 minutes to go with lid off
bread5.jpg

Overnight to cool down. This morning dentist.
bread6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom