Bread...something new.

Thanks Tony, that's great. Possible problem was the oven and pot temperature. I've a fan oven that I stuck at 260C. It does go up to 270C so I'll whack it right up next time. Also I'll follow your advice as regards the gooey dough. And I'll stick it in the pot as fast as I can. Perhaps I took too long today. Watch this space!

Look forward to it, see how you get on, I realised after a few attempts that everything has to be super scary hot, the internal temp of my lidded ceramic oven dish was another 30 - 50 deg F higher than the actual oven temp so as soon as I lift the lid the dough hits the pan and the lid goes back on and oven door closes asap.

I tried making two breads in one session on a few occasions, the second loaf was always less successful because I thought I'd get away with throwing the dough in as soon as I'd removed the first finished loaf. I didn't, you definitely have to preheat the oven dish with the lid on to create a super hot mini oven within an oven otherwise you may find you just won't reach the temperature required at least that's what happened with me.

This is an okay vid using the same recipe and technique. Personally I think he should have cooked it for longer or highr temp for a darker thicker crust but the techniques are ably demonstrated. I don't have a proving basket, I just use an oiled bowl and cover it with a plastic bag.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evsdggMoBuM&feature=related[/youtube]

Well - it's out of the oven... just cooling a bit so I don't melt when I slice it - it sounds right though (antdad will know what I mean for sure)

Was pleasantly surprised that it was unstuck from the baking receptacle (my heavy steel soup pan) - so that was nice.

Onwards to the tasting phase in about 30'

Nice one, good open texture, decent crust?

You might get belly ache if you scoff it, it's difficult to resist but better the next day.

Well, experimentation continues apace... 12th loaf made

I've been varying the temperature of the oven by 10°C each time (starting at 240°C, up to 290°C and back down in 10°C steps to 230°C)... for my particular oven it seems 260-270°C (dial temp) is the sweet spot.

F**k...12 loaves, I think I've made two or three since the last post.

The crust is amazing though...is your tooth enamel still intact?

Still not got around to making another. I'm worried that my oven won't get hot enough but need to try anyway. I will report back. Well done HM, glad they are working for you.

antdad said:
F**k...12 loaves, I think I've made two or three since the last post.

The crust is amazing though...is your tooth enamel still intact?

It's sort of become a habit... and working from home facilitates it somewhat... as I chuck "today's" in the oven, I mix up "tomorrow's" dough, knock it down about 8am and it's perfect for baking at noon...

Pig Cat said:
Still not got around to making another. I'm worried that my oven won't get hot enough but need to try anyway. I will report back. Well done HM, glad they are working for you.

It's a small investment but an oven temp gauge is quite a handy thing to have even if you don't make any more bread.

Yep...stop being such a...well pussy.

200505353-001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom