Beer..a personal list of favourites

Jack Force said:
Had some nice Scottish ales this week....can't remember them all. Popped in the brewdog place aswell, punk ipa very nice, flavoursome.

Brewdog are fantastic - a few years ago, when they were first making it big, I sampled Punk IPA and sent them a short mail to compliment them. In return they sent me a sampler of 6 bottles of their various beers! They weren't all to my taste, but every one was interesting and characterful. Ever since I've made sure to have a pint whenever I get the chance (particularly when I was working in Edinburgh for a while.)

I'm lucky, I brew my own !

Brewed from grain and hops, not the 'kits', (although there are some good kits around) and you can 'clone' beers

Currently drinking ...

Timothy Taylor Landlord
Blacksheep Riggwelter
Jennings Cockerhoop
Banks's Original

and several others in stock !

Was in the York brewery a few weeks back, always worth a visit. Guzzler is a great session ale, haven't tried the micklegate.

Would love to brew my own, tried a kit from boots years ago, was ok did a stout and a lager. Not really microbrewery league like some of you guys.

Jack Force said:
Would love to brew my own, tried a kit from boots years ago, was ok did a stout and a lager. Not really microbrewery league like some of you guys.

It really is not that difficult, brewing 'all grain' takes a bit of time on a brewday, but the results are excellent :idea:

I'm not a beer aficionado but I do like Fullers (London Pride) but particularly ESB, can anybody recommend a similar tasting ESB as a back up?

baz chaz said:
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Blacksheep Riggwelter
Jennings Cockerhoop
Banks's Original

I really approve of your taste! All excellent beers. I only brew from kits but have had some decent results with the Woodforde's kits (although they don't taste all that much like the brewery beer.)

ChopperHarris said:
baz chaz said:
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Blacksheep Riggwelter
Jennings Cockerhoop
Banks's Original

I really approve of your taste! All excellent beers. I only brew from kits but have had some decent results with the Woodforde's kits (although they don't taste all that much like the brewery beer.)

Cheers

I'm starting to brew some lighter ales for summer consumption, brewing capacity is 5 gallons per week, which is plenty to build a stock up. Jennings Cumberland Ale and another Banks were done in the last 2 weeks. Looking at BatemansXXXB this week.

baz chaz said:
I'm starting to brew some lighter ales for summer consumption, brewing capacity is 5 gallons per week, which is plenty to build a stock up. Jennings Cumberland Ale and another Banks were done in the last 2 weeks. Looking at BatemansXXXB this week.

Even better! One of the most drinkable beers about - where do you get your recipes from? I'm due a trip to the Homebrew Shop in Aldershot soon and I might have to consider a basic brew in a bag setup to try out grain brewing.

ChopperHarris said:
baz chaz said:

Even better! One of the most drinkable beers about - where do you get your recipes from? I'm due a trip to the Homebrew Shop in Aldershot soon and I might have to consider a basic brew in a bag setup to try out grain brewing.

There's a book I use by Graham Wheeler which is excellent, ideal for anyone thinking of getting into home brewing, has a load of recipes in it not just 'all grain' brews. Thats a starting point though, be warned home brewing is addictive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-British-Real-Camra/dp/1852492589

Brew my own, usually light hopped pales but last one I made was a mild, loads of crystal malt and pale with some fuggles and goldings. :)

That Graham Wheeler book is great too :)

Back
Top Bottom