Beer..a personal list of favourites

It's got to be Taylor's Landlord for me

Trie to do a tour quite a few years ago and the response

"nay lad we brew beer not show people round"

Think that's changed now though

I had the good fortune to be dragged to Lady Heyes antiques & crafts centre near Frodsham in Cheshire (I know terrible... no razors and only one pen thanks for asking) which now has the Frodsham Brewery onsite... a very wide selection of styles in there - the Buzzin on draught is particularly pleasant as a sunny summer afternoon tipple :)

These are my all-time top 3:
Augustiner (Bavaria, that's where I'm from)
Smithwicks (Ireland, that's where I live)
Carlsberg (Denmark, for no particular reason other than its great taste)

Had some very good Saltaire and Beartown beer last night in my local. Had a couple in there Thursday night and all the beer (8 pumps) had changed by 7pm last night.

Rather than go for specific beers, here's a few breweries that I look out for:

UK: Dark Star, Thornbridge, Otley, Hopshackle
Belgium: Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, St. Bernardus

Having had part time jobs from 17-23 working at decent freehouse pubs, bars and beer festivals in England and Belgium, I've had quite a lot of exposure to British and Belgians brews. I haven't yet got to grips with the many (wonderful) German styles and offerings but dearly want to!

Mark70 said:
It's got to be Taylor's Landlord for me

Trie to do a tour quite a few years ago and the response

"nay lad we brew beer not show people round"

Think that's changed now though
A gorgeous beer on a summer's day! Remember it being a pain in the cellar. I distinctly remember almost being decapitated by a rogue spile when venting a barrel (in truth due to my shoddy cellarmanship) on the one occasion.

Oakey22 said:
Brew my own, usually light hopped pales but last one I made was a mild, loads of crystal malt and pale with some fuggles and goldings. :)

That Graham Wheeler book is great too :)

The Timothy Taylor Landlord from the GW book is an excellent recipe.

I've brewed a few lighter IPA style beers this year, gone for lots of late aroma hops fuggles and goldings like you, use challenger hops 'in the copper' as bittering hops, has worked really well so far.

That's the thing about brewing your own, can really develop the styles of beers you like, the experimenting (and testing) is brilliant :exclamation:

Who says us Brits are heavy drinkers?

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=+Beer+festival&oq=+Beer+festival&aq=f&aqi=g-c2g1g-c1&aql=&gs_l=hp.12..0i7l2j0j0i7.86330.88196.1.91914.10.10.0.0.0.0.152.1018.7j3.10.0...0.0.R4fE14Rb1d8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3e73a5a73245b7cd&biw=1678&bih=850

robinsons-old-tom-ale-label.jpg

:D

Re: RE: Beer..a personal list of favourites

baz chaz said:
Oakey22 said:
That Graham Wheeler book is great too :)
The Timothy Taylor Landlord from the GW book is an excellent recipe.
I'll be brewing 10 gallons of GWs version of Timothy Taylor Landlord tomorrow. I have the Yorkshire Square yeast made up into a big starter for it tomorrow. I will also be trying out my new wort oxygenator.

The Liverpool Camra Beer Festival workers trip went to Ossett Brewery and Rat Brewery (owned by Ossett) yesterday plus a couple of pubs. Good day out with free ale at The Ossett Brewery itself.

I'm a huge fan of Hobsons of Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire. My personal favourites are Town Crier and Twisted Spire, but their Best Bitter and Manor Ale are also noteworthy.

Back
Top Bottom