Beef Jerky

Hiya,

The idea of Limey made jerky is pretty funny, seeing as how that place isn't known for it's culinary delights. Can't speak for biltong but I do have some experience with various jerky items.

When I was a kid my dad would sometimes bring home some beef jerky. This was the typical thin cut, dried out so it cracked when you bit into it, black colored and seasoned with I can't remember what kinda thing. Still plenty of that type around and it's my daughter's favorite style (of all things amazing to me).

Best jerky is made in thick chunks.....chewy and some great texture compared to the flat slabs of stuff. This is what y'all want, no matter what flavor you choose.

Anyway, it wasn't till I was in my 20s that I tried that thick type I was talking bout. Company in Oregon made it and holy crap, it was excellent. There was one small store that carried it when available and this was totally different than the other kind I had tried.

Then in the mid 70s into the 80s I would stop at Angelos Smokehuse in Petaluma. Hah, I just looked at his site and am tempted to order some things. Big chunks and thick strips of jerky.

Place in Hudson Colorado makes maybe 5-6 jerky versions, with almost all being the same texture of being too crunchy for my taste. One though is perfect, with the same look and feel as those others I like.

Martin

As recommended Silverside,

Oh jeeez, I hope Tall Paul doesn't run across your post. Not your fault and not done on purpose, but still.

You may have seen Paul mention 'Silvy' sometimes as his main monkey. Well, Silverside was Silvy's brother or father or uncle or something. He refuses to talk about what was obviously a vaguely ugly scene and none of the members will bring up the subject of that murdered(?) monkey. Goes back 3-4 years ago.

Martin

Last edited:
I didnt have enough time last weekend to think about my new little project, too busy in the kitchen trying to get my floor clean after months of abuse with paint, adhesive and grout droppings!

I sat happily watching weekends rugby with a duo of red deer venison bolting . A plain version with usual safari spice & the other catch with a sprinkling of piri piri
Not made by me but my friend who was brought up in Zimbabwe and is a master at this .
Beer & biltong what a match

Paul

Tried it 5 days ago and nearly threw it out, left it to mature two days more and I'm very happy with it. Not the best photos but...

Last edited:
I was speaking with a South African today about Biltong, he was so shocked that I knew about it and he was so proud to talk about the subject...

I was trying to hint to him about bringing me some in for me to try but I think he overlooked this segment of conversation

Back
Top Bottom