Beef Jerky

Im quite partial to a slice of beef jerky once in a while with its spicy tones and meaty flavour... however its quite expensive for what it is, a few strips of beef that has been maranated.

So i'm thinking of making my own, ive watched a few youtube vids on the subject and it seems do-able.

Has anyone on here tried making there own?

Ah Biltong, ive read abit about that, am I right saying its South African? Think its dried cured with a bit of heat from say a normal household light bulb in a box of some sort.

Ah Biltong, ive read abit about that, am I right saying its South African? Think its dried cured with a bit of heat from say a normal household light bulb in a box of some sort.
Yep and like the jerky you get various flavours. Used to be dry cured to preserve the meat in the heat. Often thrown across a horses saddle.
Waitrose have a good selection.

Think next time im in waitrose I'll have a look...

I quite like eating jerky with a nice glass of red... a shiraz or something full bodied to go with the spice of the jerky

Biltong is great stuff. It's one of those things I keep meaning to try making, but I've not gotten around to it. I've seen purpose-built biltong makers for about £40, but if you're halfway decent at DIY making one yourself should be easy enough, you just need a box with a light in it.

Yea im quite nifty with a drill, should be easy enough to construct a wooden box. I'll have a look online for design ideas

So this has become making jerky to making biltong haha i'm sure I can get enough meat for the two!

Looks very good! What recipe does he use for the marinade?

I am liking the idea of creating a little project for this. Think the wife might want me to finish the kitchen first though!

Back
Top Bottom