Air Rifle

Definitely agree on .177 for targets and a greater distance, .22 needs to be closer and pest control.
'Target' pellets have a completely flat nose, apparently it gives a cleaner punch through the target - which is what you need. Hunting wise, a larger cal will give you bigger hole and more damage, but a smaller cal with the same lb/ft behind it is more likely to give you a through and through.

That said, my dad reckoned assassins prefer to use small calibre weapons, a .45 will steam through you, while a .22 or .32 will rattle around inside and seriously put a crimp in your day.

I Agree..I used a Crossman .177 for Years for Hunting..That Said a .22 pellet has More Mass and a Greater Surface area so delivers more Kinetic Energy on Impact...A .177 Doesn't always cause as Much Internal Damage either as it has a Higher Muzzle Velocity to equate to 12ft/Ibs of the .22 Cal..:)

I Prefer a .22 for Rabbits..It will Take them out Cleanly with a Head, Heart or Lung Shot..Moreover Different Grains can be Used as Well..But the Surface Area due to the Calibre will always Remain the same..o_O

That's Why .177 Calibres are used for Competition for the Reasons You Say..Flatter Trajectory..:D

Billy

The kinetic energy is the same, F=MA so smaller mass at higher velocity will achieve the same energy. .22 will make a bigger hole albeit with lower penetration.

As you say, either calibre will do the job if you do yours and put the pellet in the right place, and this debate has raged since Methusalah was a whippersnapper. :)

'Target' pellets have a completely flat nose, apparently it gives a cleaner punch through the target - which is what you need. Hunting wise, a larger cal will give you bigger hole and more damage, but a smaller cal with the same lb/ft behind it is more likely to give you a through and through.

That said, my dad reckoned assassins prefer to use small calibre weapons, a .45 will steam through you, while a .22 or .32 will rattle around inside and seriously put a crimp in your day.
The .22 Silenced Welrod Pistol was Issued to Special Forces & Special OPs Agents During the War...22 Calibre Pistols are Very Easily Silenced & Concealed..The .22 Welrod is still sometimes used by Special Forces Today..I have seen them with my Time with Commando Forces..:)

The Mafia & Hit Men Favour .22/.25 Weapons for the Same Reason..Easy Concealed & Silenced..A .22 or.25 can be Silenced by just pressing the Muzzle behind the Ear or Pressed into the Chest Over the Heart...They are very Effective at Close Range & Close Range with Shots to the Head, Spinal Cord & Heart is the Surest Way of Doing the Business..:D

Billy

The kinetic energy is the same, F=MA so smaller mass at higher velocity will achieve the same energy. .22 will make a bigger hole albeit with lower penetration.

As you say, either calibre will do the job if you do yours and put the pellet in the right place, and this debate has raged since Methusalah was a whippersnapper. :)
That's Not True..The Kinetic Energy on Impact is More with a .22..There is No Debate on that One..o_O

Billy

The .22 Silenced Welrod Pistol was Issued to Special Forces & Special OPs Agents During the War...22 Calibre Pistols are Very Easily Silenced & Concealed..The .22 Welrod is still sometimes used by Special Forces Today..I have seen them with my Time with Commando Forces..:)

The Mafia & Hit Men Favour .22/.25 Weapons for the Same Reason..Easy Concealed & Silenced..A .22 or.25 can be Silenced by just pressing the Muzzle behind the Ear or Pressed into the Chest Over the Heart...They are very Effective at Close Range & Close Range with Shots to the Head, Spinal Cord & Heart is the Surest Way of Doing the Business..:D

Billy
Yup a .45 behind the ear is going to be loud and very messy, a .22 is gonna be quieter and rattle around inside the skull - maximum damage - minimal mess.

What a jolly thread this is turning into;)

I'm going to bow out of the .177 / .22 debate as it's never been resolved anywhere before and it won't be here.

OP - Either calibre will do the job, I've taken rabbits at 30m with both. You do however need to be able to reliably hit a 2.5cm target at your intended range before you take a shot at anything living, otherwise you're risking wounding rather than killing. Practising on targets first is a must.

Last edited:
I'm going to bow out of the .177 / .22 debate as it's never been resolved anywere before and it won't be here.

OP - Either calibre will do the job, I've taken rabbits at 30m with both. You do however need to be able to reliably hit a 2.5cm target at your intended range before you take a shot at anything living, otherwise you're risking wounding rather than killing. Practising on targets first is a must.

Quite right ! Either calibre with a good shot will do the job also it's what ever you prefer.

The fun is in practice. I've chalk targets at about the size of a 10p, cheap on eBay. They also do targets now that bang when hit. You can get spinners which are fun. But just a few tins and 2litre bottles can be equally good.

Back
Top Bottom