Air Rifle

Good evening all,
I was hoping if someone can recommend me a rifle powerful enough to get rid of some pest which decimate my garden every year, this year being the worst, don't know anything about air rifle or where to buy one from, any help appreciated, if this subject is out of line then my apologies and I will delete it.

I do target shooting with Scouts and hold a British Small Bore Association Instructors qualification.

PCP are the the way to go, cost a little more and then you have to decide if your going to go the air tank or foot pump way. But for ease of use they are the business. Easier to get a second shot off as you can get 10 shot magazines in them and no spring to cock. I've used a Air Arms 200, very nice.

Try a local gun shop, some have ranges where you can have a go before buying. Don't forget to factor in a scope too.

I only have one at the moment a BSA Hornet, spring action. May well at some stage buy a reduced power .177 PCP for target. Scouts have a few cheap Spring powered.

It is addictive, I've got through tins of pellets just shooting bottles, cans etc.

Last edited:
I've had the same rifle for years ...... Under lever cocking, Weihrauch HW97K. You can get those for a decent price second hand; it takes all of an hour to strip, polish, regrease them and change the seal out and you'll have a spot on rifle.

Single shot only, of course ..... and they are a little heavy ....... but get a decent scope on there and you'll have plenty of fun.

What kind of pest?

For occasional use I'd go with a springer, my personal favourite being the Air Arms TX200. The nice thing about spring rifles is that they're self-contained, all you need is your rifle, pellets and a scope and you're ready to go.

As for power, anything decent will be approaching 12 ft/lbs which is the legal limit, this is plenty. It's also worth mentioning that while shooting an air gun in your garden is perfectly legal, you have to ensure that no pellets leave your property.

What kind of pest?

For occasional use I'd go with a springer, my personal favourite being the Air Arms TX200. The nice thing about spring rifles is that they're self-contained, all you need is your rifle, pellets and a scope and you're ready to go.

As for power, anything decent will be approaching 12 ft/lbs which is the legal limit, this is plenty. It's also worth mentioning that while shooting an air gun in your garden is perfectly legal, you have to ensure that no pellets leave your property.

And a lockable case for transporting, mine stays in a lockable case indoors as well. The Scout guns are locked together with a cable lock, in a locked cabinet, in a locked room. Best practice is to keep the pellets separate to the guns. I also use strimmer cord through the barrel to indicate a safe unloaded rifle.

DSC_0325_zps3fpcm5tn.jpg

My Old Trusty .22 Sharp Innova with a Silencer & x3 to x9 Zoom Scope..I have Dropped more Bunnies with this Rifle than I Care to Remember..I have had it for Decades..:)

Billy

This reminds me of a certain asshole who borrowed a 410 shotgun to deal with wood pigeons. Blew his cabbages all over the county and never did kill a bird.

Anything a .410 can do a 12 can do better. :D

That's Right..The Legal Limit in the UK for an Air Rifle is 12ft/Ibs..Any Decent Air Rifle Approaching that will Do the Job..I have used a .22 & .177 for the Job but for Bigger Prey a .22 is probably the way to Go..:)

Billy

Without wanting to fuel the old .177 vs .22 holy war, 12 ft/lbs is 12 ft/lbs, it's shot placement that matters and .177 has a flatter trajectory.

Without wanting to fuel the old .177 vs .22 holy war, 12 ft/lbs is 12 ft/lbs, it's shot placement that matters and .177 has a flatter trajectory.
Me and the old fella have 12's, clays only these days.

The .22 v .177 debate has been going on for bloody years. .177 for targets is a given though.

I Agree..I used a Crossman .177 for Years for Hunting..That Said a .22 pellet has More Mass and a Greater Surface area so delivers more Kinetic Energy on Impact...A .177 Doesn't always cause as Much Internal Damage either as it has a Higher Muzzle Velocity to equate to 12ft/Ibs of the .22 Cal..:)

I Prefer a .22 for Rabbits..It will Take them out Cleanly with a Head, Heart or Lung Shot..Moreover Different Grains can be Used as Well..But the Surface Area due to the Calibre will always Remain the same..o_O

That's Why .177 Calibres are used for Competition for the Reasons You Say..Flatter Trajectory..:D

Billy

I Agree..I used a Crossman .177 for Years for Hunting..That Said a .22 pellet has More Mass and a Greater Surface area so delivers more Kinetic Energy on Impact...A .177 Doesn't always cause as Much Internal Damage either as it has a Higher Muzzle Velocity to equate to 12ft/Ibs of the .22 Cal..:)

I Prefer a .22 for Rabbits..It will Take them out Cleanly with a Head, Heart or Lung Shot..Moreover Different Grains can be Used as Well..But the Surface Area due to the Calibre will always Remain the same..o_O

That's Why .177 Calibres are used for Competition for the Reasons You Say..Flatter Trajectory..:D

Billy

I've had a .22 pellet simply bounce off a pigeon wing.

Back
Top Bottom