Air Rifle

Hiya,

Just to get a few of you guys thinking about something, I just have to mention what living in a state such as Colorado for example is like.

So maybe 10 miles outside of Boulder there's a turn off to Left Handed Canyon Road and up the mountain you go. Not far though...still near the bottom. Stop and park along the road and take your guns out of the car.

Yeah, this is a local outdoor range with the mountain as a backdrop. Rifles, pistols, assault types, all are ok. Did I mention there's no kind of safety person running this. It's all up for grabs. There's various areas of ground to set up with some privacy for popping away.

Bottles or cans or exploding targets are used, along with the paper ones.

Sound pretty fun doesn't it?
Dodgy, once teleporting has been fully developed and tested, I will be in for buying up a facility like this!

Dodgy, once teleporting has been fully developed and tested, I will be in for buying up a facility like this!

Of course it's dangerous as hell, or has the potential to be. Best thing's to get there early morning, bang around a while and get out before it gets crowded. Hah, I remember running into a guy back in the mid 90s who was going somewhere to try out his AK type with the large capacity clips. We later heard him firing off some rounds not too far away.

Our small group had 3-4 pistols and a few rifles and man it was fun, although winter could be tough. Chicago indoor ranges are pretty dull in comparison, often with well insulated somewhat low ceilings. Hah, I once saw the guy in the booth next to me shoot a sprinkler head off when he tried some rapid fire with his what must have been new to him semi auto 45. Had to shut down the range for a while.

The kinetic energy is the same, F=MA so smaller mass at higher velocity will achieve the same energy. .22 will make a bigger hole albeit with lower penetration.

As you say, either calibre will do the job if you do yours and put the pellet in the right place, and this debate has raged since Methusalah was a whippersnapper. :)
Don't want to seem a Dick but kinetic energy, K=1/2MV ^2

Yep, I fluffed that one. Even with the correct equation though, my point that smaller mass at higher velocity can achieve the same kinetic energy stands.
A .177 Calibre Cant possibly have the same Kinetic Energy on Impact as a .22 on Impact with 12 Ibs at the Muzzle..Its Half the Size..:)

This Arm Chair Crap has went on for Years with the 9mm V .45 Cal Brigade & the .223 V 7.62 Brigade as Well..Veterans that have been Shot & or Have seen others Shot with these Calibres haven't anything to Prove..They Know..;)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom