A motor cycle for a mature gentleman - don't laugh!

johant1968 said:
Father Ted said:
Its a CB650 Nighthawk, its American spec and looks a lot worse than the photo above (which was taken in 2007 when it was running) .
Interesting! I thought all the US Nighthawks had a single front disc?

That's going to keep you busy building in winter, and hopefully make for a classic ride next spring! :)

(since I ride through the winter nowadays, I am set on modern bikes ... but I love the classics)
The original owner has tried to UK spec the bike following issues where it "maxed out " at about 85 MPH - investigation suggests this is gearing not a fuel / engine issue as the original owner thought.
I have the original forks, exhausts and clocks but not carbs and sadly it wont rev - it will idle but dies when you try to rev it.
It will likely get returned to full USA spec as 85 is plenty fast enough for me.

johant1968 said:
Father Ted said:
Its a CB650 Nighthawk, its American spec and looks a lot worse than the photo above (which was taken in 2007 when it was running) .
Interesting! I thought all the US Nighthawks had a single front disc?

That's going to keep you busy building in winter, and hopefully make for a classic ride next spring! :)

(since I ride through the winter nowadays, I am set on modern bikes ... but I love the classics)
The original owner has tried to UK spec the bike following issues where it "maxed out " at about 85 MPH - investigation suggests this is gearing not a fuel / engine issue as the original owner thought.
I have the original forks, exhausts and clocks but not carbs and sadly it wont rev - it will idle but dies when you try to rev it.
It will likely get returned to full USA spec as 85 is plenty fast enough for me.

Fido said:
I've decided to revert to one bike. I'm enjoying the Guzzi much more than the Enfield so it's time to move on and focus on the better bike. It's going back to the dealer on a sale or return deal. By next spring I will know if the V7 will be a keeper.

Must rush. The sun's out.

I did sell the Royal Enfield a few weeks ago.

I was in Swanage today. Saw an Enfield just like mine. Watched it go past........
It was mine!

Small world.

News is worse than I expected. The parts that I thought I needed to repair the scooter came in, but... The damage is more than I thought. The main console that holds the switches is crack and missing plastic. There's nothing for the new switches to attach to. The ignition switch is also jammed in the off position. Will have to take most of the front off to see what else is damaged. Looks like it may be more than I can do myself.:)-(

Johnus said:
News is worse than I expected. The parts that I thought I needed to repair the scooter came in, but... The damage is more than I thought. The main console that holds the switches is crack and missing plastic. There's nothing for the new switches to attach to. The ignition switch is also jammed in the off position. Will have to take most of the front off to see what else is damaged. Looks like it may be more than I can do myself.:)-(

Wish I could help. But I keep the bike clean, pump up tyres and check oil. And that's my limit. And I'm glad I have a drive shaft.

Johnus said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have any bike breakers where you live?
If not try google the parts you need, you may find the parts online.
Good luck.

Johnus said:

Have you not got any Vespa Owners Clubs ? They can be very helpful, ( and you can often get secondhand or repro spares). If not have a look over this side of the pond as we have a lot of people who ride and do up both Lambo's and Vespas. Shame you are not closer as I like rebuilding scooters........

Well gentlemen! Parts that I needed came in. Contacted my brother in law ( he has the tools in the family, a small sewing machine repair on the side) and part of Saturday and most of Sunday , and she's back running. Went for a 9-10 mile test ride. Ran well. Not as pretty as she once was but as she's bright red some fingernail polish might work on the scrapes!!

Fido said:
I pulled in to Lymington in my usual gear today. It was hot. A lad turned up on a scooter nearby with a tee shirt and shorts. Is there such a thing as a cool protective jacket for hot weather?

Very late reply, but I had (still have in the loft) some cooler stuff for summer; an Arlen Ness bomber jacket with armour, a Heine Gericke denim jacket with Kevlar and armour and an armoured waterproof jacket which had a removable lining.

Looks like we might be getting another bike now...

Back
Top Bottom