A motor cycle for a mature gentleman - don't laugh!

Well used to coming across horses, cows, donkeys and pigs on New Forest roads and deer will jump out regularly. Returning home this week all seemed quiet when suddenly one of these shot across the road a few yards in front of my Guzzi. A timely reminder to avoid complacency.

Johnus said:
Just a sad update. Going on month 3 and nothing on the Insurance Claim.:)-(
That's bad! I hope they'll sort it out soon.

On a lighter note; the last few weeks I am really happy to have a mesh jacket and pants ... we have really sunny weather here :D

I pulled in to Lymington in my usual gear today. It was hot. A lad turned up on a scooter nearby with a tee shirt and shorts. Is there such a thing as a cool protective jacket for hot weather?

Fido said:
I pulled in to Lymington in my usual gear today. It was hot. A lad turned up on a scooter nearby with a tee shirt and shorts. Is there such a thing as a cool protective jacket for hot weather?

He won't look cool when he comes off. Not so very bad being on a scooter but I've seen plenty on performance bikes in T shirts and shorts. There should be some sort of minimum amount of protective gear that goes past a helmet.

Fido said:

You might find something here:

http://www.bikersgearuk.com/motorcycle-waterproofs/men/waterproof-jackets

Fido said:

I've just bought myself one of these:

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothing/motorcyle-clothing/jackets/pro-sports-estoril-sheltexr-blouson-schwarz-rot-weiss.html

It's much cooler than any other bike jacket I've had, but it still has CE armour, and for an extra £10 they'll fit a back protector insert too.

I use one of these, http://www.scottleathers.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProductID=48.
There is a zip under the arms and two on the chest.which give excellent ventilation.
The jacket also has a kevlar lining and is classed as a PPE garment in itself.
They are dear but worth every penny, I use mine all year round, and use a hi vis jacket over the top of it in winter.
Have a look on flea bay for a shop called the "the police box shop", the seller is called "kitkaboodle" and they occasionally have brand new ones in stock for about £120

Fido said:
I wear a Hein Gericke gore tex jacket in summer but will persist in looking for other options. Thanks for the tips.

In summer I use a DIFI "free vent" mesh jacket and pants. It feels like riding in a cotton shirt, but then with much better protection. Even at slow speed, you feel the wind blowing through the mesh lining.

OTOH, it is also as waterproof as a cotton shirt ...

johant1968 said:
Fido said:
I wear a Hein Gericke gore tex jacket in summer but will persist in looking for other options. Thanks for the tips.

In summer I use a DIFI "free vent" mesh jacket and pants. It feels like riding in a cotton shirt, but then with much better protection. Even at slow speed, you feel the wind blowing through the mesh lining.

OTOH, it is also as waterproof as a cotton shirt ...

Any chance of a link to one on a UK website?

The saga may be over today... Received a voice message that the Co. wants me to called today so they can make a settlement offer.
So I'm off to the scooter store to do a final check on their end of the year prices. Once I have that in hand, i'll make the call to see if i'm back in the saddle again!
Wish me luck!

Fido said:
Any chance of a link to one on a UK website?

No, because the UK site says: "Your IP is temporarily blocked"

This is the jacket on the Dutch Motoport site (but they increased the price, it seems)

http://www.motoport.nl/epages/Motoport.sf/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Motoport/Products/041391

Thank you!

Johnus said:
The saga may be over today... Received a voice message that the Co. wants me to called today so they can make a settlement offer.
So I'm off to the scooter store to do a final check on their end of the year prices. Once I have that in hand, i'll make the call to see if i'm back in the saddle again!
Wish me luck!

Good luck!

:):):)

Johnus said:
Wish me luck!

Johnus, get more than one quote, the insewerance companies will try to give you the bottom book price.
You will need more than one quote as evidence as to the price of replacing the bike.
Be prepared to argue with them, the first offer is usually very low so you will need evidence of the average cost of replacement, if you have any photographs of the bikes condition pre crash use them as well.
I am speaking from bitter experience.

Back
Top Bottom