A motor cycle for a mature gentleman - don't laugh!

A long time ago, in my teens, I had one of these:

800px-ZweiRadMuseumNSU_Quickly-1.jpg

Then this:

800px-Lambretta_150_ld_2.jpg

And then my first car. So no motorcycle.

Now like others of my ilk I'm getting a bit of an urge to get a small 125/250 cc for the occasional potter on a sunny day, perhaps the odd trip round the Isle of Wight. Certainly nowhere near a motorway. Just a bit of local use round the Forest.

I don't want to join another forum where no doubt I would be overwhelmed with advice. I have a place in Lymington who cater for us old timers. Before I pop in and get tempted, I'd appreciate a few thoughts from anyone who thinks they might have something useful for me to bear in mind. Like forget it! My wife's being quite encouraging, but she may have another agenda.

LD eh? - lifetime Vespist here.
Why not pop over to the Isle of Wight for the September Bank Holiday and come back a true believer. (Biggest scooter rally in Europe)
Alternatively, you could be sensible and get one of those splendid automatics that are currently available and you will be astonished at the advance in motorcycle clothing in recent years - that's why I sold my Barbour suit to Rev-O :lol:

Addendum - Thanks Tony - the present Vespa LX range of automatics do look remarkably like classic Vespas - and being four-stroke there is no fiddling around with a wretched oil bottle and measuring cup when filling up!

They look splendid but I agree with Anthony's sentiment about looking for a modern replacement, not as much charisma but boy are you going to pleased with a push button start.

OK, I'd go for something old - just a smallish (250-350cc) bike on two or three cylinders that chugs along at low rpm.

A 1950's-60's British bike will hold its value (and may even appreciate) and if it's for short trips in fair weather then the characterful nature of the bike will far outweigh the absolute reliability or road-holding of a modern plastic day-glo Japanese rocket.

A side-car too, for Mrs Fido (Fida? Fidette?) - although personally I'd pop her on pillion and ride two up (no jokes, please, Pig Cat).

As a former police traffic motorcyclist & advanced driving instructor the only advice I'd offer is to always recall that bikes bend ....... peeps break !
Get something with built on weather protection, a lock fast pannier or topbox system anf preferably from one of the major manufacturers. It always helps when it comes to obtaining spares (particularly bodywork) and it's nice to know that the mech working on your machine has probably diagnosed & rectified faults on many similar models in the past.

Enjoy Fido.

JohnnyO. \ :cool:

Once this decent weather has gone, and normal summer service has been resumed (i.e. pissing down for 20 days/month) the idea may go away.

Ian

I think Honda (I think it´s called Honda Hero) makes a very good automatic one, it goes on forever and you´ll most likely never have a problem with it. Everyone in Asia wants one, becuase they just keep on rolling with very little fuel comsumption aswell ...

I think Honda (I think it´s called Honda Hero) makes a very good automatic one, it goes on forever and you´ll most likely never have a problem with it. Everyone in Asia wants one, becuase they just keep on rolling with very little fuel comsumption aswell ...

What stirred me up was one of my young visitors last weekend. Well, my daughters visitor really. He turned up on a 1600cc Harley. He said he had another 1000cc model.

Now I'm not looking in that league. In fact I wondered if I could still get a 49cc like my first NSU. I'm on the case.

Pig Cat said:
Just don't break the speed limit OK? It could get very messy, and that's just the discussion thread. :roll:

Err.... I wish you hadn't bought that up. I seem to get a conviction for something or other about every four years. And I passed my tests for car and motor cycles around 1960. I wonder if I could get a copy of my record? Some of it was trivial stuff. Like parking my NSU Quickly under an all night lampost - without lights on. And not wearing a seatbelt during a half mile drive in the village to the paper shop. The most recent was 36 mph in Bournemouth where speed signs are constantly changing from 30 to 40 mph.

Perhaps it got to be 49cc. I doubt it could go much above 30mph.

Ah me, the days of the 2 speed NSU Quickly. My first was a 3 speed Garelli. Which lasted until I saw my first Moto Rumi Tipo Sport. Go for it Fido, we so need more gentlemanly two wheel road users. Just check with the golf club committee first before riding onto those hallowed precincts. If they don't like trousers tucked into socks the Lord only knows what they'll make of full leathers !

JohnnyO. \ :lol:

Back
Top Bottom