What's your favourite razor?

If I had the choice of keeping one razor it'll be my mint fatboy,it's the daddy of adjustables,in the same way Led Zepplein was the daddy of metal.I think fatboys were over engineered and well ahead of their time

For sheer speed and safety; I would have to say the Gillette Slim Adjustable. It has perfect size, weight and balance. It's just made for the everyday shave

For a bit of opulence... I hate to say I am another of the 1912 Ever ready fans.

radgiesteve said:
I'm intrigued by the Single Edge Ever Ready .. thinking that they would be an ideal first razor for newbies (like me!) rather than the Progress or Merkur HD as its been pointed out that its easier to see the blade angle. What do the users of the Single Edge style think- are they a good starting point? Does it depend on the brand/model as to whether they would be too aggressive or steep of a learning curve?

I have used The Cream Handled Single Edge, The 1912, and a G-Bar

ivory_gem_razor.jpg

gem-england.jpg

gem-gbar-7-19.jpg

Found the 1912 to be the nicest as it has a good feel and weight in the hand, weight doesnt really seem to be an issue with these razors, i find them so easy to use which ever one it is.

I have read the the Micromatic is the most aggressive of the SE Razors

2499339_s1_i2.jpg

Hiya,

My go to razor choice has only changed a few times over the years. First was the super adjustable for three months or so, next was the slim for another six months. Then came the fatboy for two and a half years, and for the last 18 months or so it's been the 1958 Executive.

The only difference between this and a fatboy is the color (gold) and the handle knurling (identical to a Toggle). Heh, the color's no big deal since I use both gold and silver razors all the time. The handle pattern though...........now that isn't the same. It has considerable more bite than a fatboy, and feels a little better in my hand in general. Same great fatboy type shave though.

Martin

Here's a pic of them together

Attachments

• fatboy and executive.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 68
If I had to keep one razor I would struggle between a Red Flair Tip Rocket or a British Tech like the one below.

[attachment=0]

Both nice and simple but do a cracking job, no adjusting no messing around just a good clean shave.

If you are after a Tech look at the base plate thats what makes the difference.......... ;)

Attachments

• 1940s thin handle Tech in Bakelite England.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 68
For the last 6 months or so it's been my Mergress. I've tried and sold various others and have held onto the Mergress and used it every day.

I now own a Merkur travel razor and have a 34C en route so it'll be interesting to see how the 34C compares.

sunburyboy93 said:
radgiesteve said:
I'm intrigued by the Single Edge Ever Ready .. thinking that they would be an ideal first razor for newbies (like me!) rather than the Progress or Merkur HD as its been pointed out that its easier to see the blade angle. What do the users of the Single Edge style think- are they a good starting point? Does it depend on the brand/model as to whether they would be too aggressive or steep of a learning curve?

I have used The Cream Handled Single Edge, The 1912, and a G-Bar
Found the 1912 to be the nicest as it has a good feel and weight in the hand, weight doesnt really seem to be an issue with these razors, i find them so easy to use which ever one it is.

I have read the the Micromatic is the most aggressive of the SE Razors

That seals it then - I'm gonna get one when funds allow. Great photos Sunbury thanks!

In order of preference

Goodfella Satin Black - Beautiful mild razor
Feather Portable - Only the one shave so far but really like this razor
Feather Popular - Good cheap razor
Wilkinson Sword Classic - Too bulky for me to get in under the nose
Merkur 34C HD - Do I not like this razor, yet. Draws too much claret for my liking though I will try to tame it over the next couple of months.

These are all the razors in my collection - so far ;)

Next up EJ89L and then the Feather AS-D1 once I've robbed a couple of old ladies down my street :eek:

I'm still relatively new to DE shaving, and I only have three razors at the moment:-

A Bluebeards Revenge Scimitar,

A Merkur Futur

And a Merkur 39C Slantbar.

I find that the Scimitar is quite gentle and very good for shaving just under my nose.

As for my favourite it is a toss up between the two Merkur razors.

My favorite straight: my Heljestrand BK 36, that one I'm taking to my grave with me!
(sorry Mikael, you either have to kill now me or attend my funeral with a spade :lol: )
My favorite Safety razor: Rolls Viscount.
My Favorite DE: Hard to choose between the US Aristocrat and the Rhodium TV rocket.

Max

Back
Top Bottom