What are you reading at the moment?

Premiership Psycho

Seems the author didn't do his research though. Has the main character using Pinaud Clubman Vanilla aftershave. The main character is obsessed with buying the best . . . OK, most expensive . . . goods, clothing, food, wine, mobile phones yet dabs on £2.00 aftershave?

Oh, and he shaves with a King of Shaves Azor.

joe mcclaine said:
Premiership Psycho

Seems the author didn't do his research though. Has the main character using Pinaud Clubman Vanilla aftershave. The main character is obsessed with buying the best . . . OK, most expensive . . . goods, clothing, food, wine, mobile phones yet dabs on £2.00 aftershave?

Oh, and he shaves with a King of Shaves Azor.

Is this some sort of nod to American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis? Ah, just looked it up. Sounds quite tongue in cheek, doesn't take itself as seriously as the 'original'.

Pig Cat said:
Is this some sort of nod to American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis? Ah, just looked it up. Sounds quite tongue in cheek, doesn't take itself as seriously as the 'original'.

It's a swipe at those D-list celebs and sports'stars' who think because they have money they can buy taste. The kind of people who put El Divo on the CD player and think they're sophisticated.

Gets funnier and darker as it goes on.

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4, with Wilt to follow and then I'm going to re-read the Discworld books (the ones about the City Watch being my favourites).

Got a few others lined up for in between the Pratchett books - a book called Bespoke, some Sven Hassel, some of the 'non-Fleming' Bond books and the rest of the Le Carre 'Smiley' books.

Not very 'high brow' granted.

Pig Cat said:
... the Agatha Raisin series by MC Beaton is appallingly bad. Thought I'd give them ago after finding the radio version amusing. :mad:

Funnily enough, my wife was saying much the same this morning, except that she doesn't think even Penelope Keith could save material this poor. I made it through half an episode on the radio.

Finished the Peter Robinson book: disappointing, feels like the fag end of a tired series. I might be persuaded to try one of the earlier ones. Next up, HÃ¥kan Nesser: "The Return".

Arrowhead said:
Pig Cat said:
... the Agatha Raisin series by MC Beaton is appallingly bad. Thought I'd give them ago after finding the radio version amusing. :mad:

Funnily enough, my wife was saying much the same this morning, except that she doesn't think even Penelope Keith could save material this poor. I made it through half an episode on the radio.

Well I enjoyed the episodes of the radio series that I heard. They appear to have been successful by the clever trick of giving the characters personalities and the story an enjoyable and interesting plot. Something completely lacking from the books.

A weird tome by a Finnish authoress - Sofi Oksanen - called Purge and set in Estonia over the period of about 50 years from 1940ish to 1990ish... doesn't make you want to pack your bags for Tallinn in a hurry :D

Onwards to Yrsa Sigurðardóttir's fourth book... The Day is Dark... nice bit of Icelandic Noir

While at Dartmouth last week I visited Greenway, the holiday home of Agatha Chrisitie a few miles up the River Dart. As a fan of Miss Marple and Poirot on TV., I've since bought her autobiography and some of her books. I'm reading "The Moving Finger". Enjoyable but very different to the plot of the Angela Hickson TV version.

"Gormenghast" put to one side for the time being owing to the arrival of "Ashes to Dust" by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir. Enjoying it so far.

Why, by the way, do British publishers insist on transliterating "ð" as "d" instead of "th" (or "dh" if you're being picky)?

Having had curiosity piqued by a couple of recent mentions in various media, I'm reading the first of the Jack Reacher books. Not exactly sophisticated - on ANY level - but, so far, highly readable.

Back
Top Bottom