Vegan Shaving brush?

Genuine question that's now bothering me... how far does the "not harming or exploiting animals" go? Is only directly affected animals or can they be 2 or 3 degrees removed? where does it stop?

example: Palm oil is largely harvested from plantations, that are inserted after clear felling indigenous tropical rain forest. The rain forest is home to orang utans - the palm plantations aren't. Orang utans lives are blighted by the habitat loss caused directly by palm farming...

Genuine question that's now bothering me... how far does the "not harming or exploiting animals" go? Is only directly affected animals or can they be 2 or 3 degrees removed? where does it stop?

I think this is the area where some vegans are 'slightly more' vegan than others.
Not eating meat, fish, dairy, wearing leather or using animal based products are all given. But some vegans take it further in the way you are describing.

You were spot on with your previous post too about people claiming to be vegetarians while eating chicken and fish.

That Graucho Marx line is a blinder, like so many of his. Not particularly relevant to this thread, another of my favourites is
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

I know a few people who claim to be vegetarian but eat chicken or fish on occasion. Doesn't really bother me. It's more a matter of convenience so that they don't have to run off a list of stuff they won't eat when going to someone's for dinner or have to explain to a host that yes they do eat the odd bit of fish or chicken but certainly not that crap they have just had put in front of them.
Basically they want to be treated as a vegetarian if they're having food out, they might pick up the odd bit of well sourced meat or fish in private.

As with vegans, many do it as much out of environmental concern as they do for 'won't somebody think of the animals'. If someone can be vegan 90% of the time good on them. They're shitting on the planet less than me, and their shit is far more planet friendly.

I'm not going to be poking them off buses or slagging them for wearing the leather shoes they bought before going vegan.

No fruitarians around? or are you all evil plant killers?

The actual, term for people who eat fish but are 'otherwise vegetarian' is piscetarian (SP?), thoughI forget the 'real' term for vegetarian except for poultry (pouletarian, maybe?).

At one point in my life I referred to myself as 'mostly a meatatarian, exception for potatoes'. I remember the wonderful line, which I will now paraphrase: "I did not become a vegetarian because I love animals, but because I hate vegetables".

Bit late into the foray on this one, but Tony over at the Golden Nib sells a couple of synthetic knots.

I have a few chunks of salvaged English wood that could satisfy the most natural requirements too! That said I haven't had a chance to try tony's synthetic knots, but I suspect they are the same or similar to the Body Shop ones.

Few things can be done without some compromise. Your vegan customer has probably realised disposable razors and canned soap give a inferior shave with a high impact of non recyclable waste.
A synthetic brush is actually the worst offender based on petrochemical materials and the tremendous impact in all phases of product from extraction to final disposal.
The answer, is in fact horsehair. Unlike badger and boar, horsehair is collected from living animals engaged in other activities. Horsehair is still used in non fused suit padding, braiding equestrian tack in the american western & vaquero traditions and restoring vintage furniture.
The vegan's compromise is in choosing the least 'hurtfull' option in their philosophy. A living horse comes with a infrastructure of agricultural land supporting wild and domestic plants and animals. Would the horse vanish; and it would have if we didn't largely stopped eating them ( except for french and japanese) and began to ride; a lot of open land would too. Vegans are merely a western version of the Jains. We all hold some extreme views. If we want our's heard, listening to others is a prerequisite.

Well said that man.

Kazakhs are partial to a bit of horse meat. I visited a butcher section in a large supermarket their. There was ALL kind of meat. I only recognized chicken meat & goat heads & bollocks, the rest were...different cuts & species.

I'm hoping to have a stall at West Mids Vegan Fair in Wolverhampton at the end of October. I'ld like to sell some shaving brushes as well, but obviously the old 404 bodger isn't going to cut it.
I'm planning on getting some more Vulfix brushes, so to save on delivery charges just wondered whether anyone has tried their synthetic brush; and if so is it any good. I know there have been other recommendations above, but they're a bit pricey. Having said thatI don't know how much the Vulfix synthetic costs yet. I may buy a few Body Shop brushes as well, but as I would have to buy them at retail prices not a lot of scope for making any profit. And I really would like this to be my first ever stall that I at least cover my costs at.........
If you're there (and it would of course be an ideal opportunity to get some Nanny's without paying postage ;) ), I may be in my socks so as to not cause offence with my leather shoes......

Sharon,
Your post has caused me to re-read the whole thread and it seems that if synthetics are a by-product of the petro-chemichal industry and animal hair is unnaceptable, there is a niche here for a ethically produced brushless cream!

Back
Top Bottom