The 'Fergiebilly' Shim

The Later Gem Models..o_O
DSC_0240_zpsdlf7tcag.jpg

The Micromatic Family Trio & the Gem G Bar & Gem Featherweight..These were all designed to take a Current Gem Blade and the Gem Push Button or Gem Contour as Well..Not Shown here..:D

Billy

This is all really good to know - that bullet ended Micro looks fantastic (they all look fantastic). It thought the current Personna Gem blade, once in the retaining hooks (that's what I'm gonna call them) "wobbled & bounced" (have you ever tried the Dorco single edge?).
I should've know about the size of the spine/blade thickness, 'cos all the SE's I've bought have arrived with old blades in them. I'll make the Ferguson Patent Single Edge Shim® tonight and try it out. I've got a few spare blade spines from when I made the thingumy that holds a half blade DE blade between two back-to-front Gems (which wasn't really worth it). The addition of the shim means I can (almost) properly contrast the US vs UK versions of the 1912 (I've got two of each), bt I'd like to do it with the original blades.
How do you strop your old PAL/Star SE blades? (All I have is the afore mentioned Kriss-Kross rotating stropper, which is still in bits, I've got no chrome Ox or strop). [I won't be asking you this many questions every day)

This is all really good to know - that bullet ended Micro looks fantastic (they all look fantastic). It thought the current Personna Gem blade, once in the retaining hooks (that's what I'm gonna call them) "wobbled & bounced" (have you ever tried the Dorco single edge?).
I should've know about the size of the spine/blade thickness, 'cos all the SE's I've bought have arrived with old blades in them. I'll make the Ferguson Patent Single Edge Shim® tonight and try it out. I've got a few spare blade spines from when I made the thingumy that holds a half blade DE blade between two back-to-front Gems (which wasn't really worth it). The addition of the shim means I can (almost) properly contrast the US vs UK versions of the 1912 (I've got two of each), bt I'd like to do it with the original blades.
How do you strop your old PAL/Star SE blades? (All I have is the afore mentioned Kriss-Kross rotating stropper, which is still in bits, I've got no chrome Ox or strop). [I won't be asking you this many questions every day)
Never Used a Dorco SE Blade..All the Intel You Need is in this Thread..Auto Strops are Not the Best..They Put Too Much Pressure on the blade..:)
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...SxnnOeWPFvHBBx8dcxziyA&bvm=bv.127521224,d.ZGg

Billy

Had my first day today using the @Fergiebilly shim... Was a great shave with a razor I hadn't really got on with previously (1914). I used a new blade and the shim (which I had a bit of fun actually trying to get off of the previous blade) and it did seem to make a big difference! I'll continue using the shim and looking forward to trying the 3D printed version which may be a little easier to load up etc

Had my first day today using the @Fergiebilly shim... Was a great shave with a razor I hadn't really got on with previously (1914). I used a new blade and the shim (which I had a bit of fun actually trying to get off of the previous blade) and it did seem to make a big difference! I'll continue using the shim and looking forward to trying the 3D printed version which may be a little easier to load up etc

I had my first Fergie shim shave today too. Gem junior. Took a while to get used to shaving vertical tho'.

1. riverrun
2. grarea
3. Nisse
4. Looney12345
5. fly3k
6. Lord Fatboy
7. The Geordie Shaver

OK all full. @Lord Fatboy We built the shim for the Heljestrand I have, so I can't comment on whether it's suitable for 1912s etc. I suggest you take one, and if it doesn't work out, pass it on.

Back
Top Bottom