The 'Fergiebilly' Shim

A friend of mine bought a 3d printer recently, so I brought in my Heljestrand SE and some GEM blades. He's had a go at making me a little custom shim, complete with the central pin to go through the GEM blade. I will try it tonight! Can't wait.

If it works, we can publish the model, and other people could make such shims for themselves :)

Great idea and very generous of you to share this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the shim

3d printed razor wedge by Simon Pietroni, on Flickr

Here it is, mounted in my Heljestrand SE razor with a GEM blade

Heljestrand SE with GEM blade mounted on 3d printed razor wedge by Simon Pietroni, on Flickr

My particular Heljestrand is not secure without the shim when using a GEM blade, so this shim is important for me.

Once assembled, the whole thing was very stable, and it held the GEM blade just right. I would say it's still a bit fiddly when you're assembling it. Possibly I might ask my friend to add a couple of millimeters to the height of the post, just to make it less fiddly pre-assembly, even if that means that the post is not then flush to the top of the blade.

Here's the shim

Heljestrand SE with GEM blade mounted on 3d printed razor wedge by Simon Pietroni, on Flickr

My particular Heljestrand is not secure without the shim when using a GEM blade, so this shim is important for me.

Once assembled, the whole thing was very stable, and it held the GEM blade just right. I would say it's still a bit fiddly when you're assembling it. Possibly I might ask my friend to add a couple of millimeters to the height of the post, just to make it less fiddly pre-assembly, even if that means that the post is not then flush to the top of the blade.
You could send one to @Fergiebilly for evaluation. He'll let you know if it's alright.
Once he's happy, send one to me for a second opinion :p:p

Here's the shim

If you have Replicated a Hollow Ground Blade with that 3 D Printer then You are Up a Gum Tree because the Gem Blade will Mould itself Into it and Bend out of Shape..o_O

Not sure if that's what You have Done..;)

Billy

If you have Replicated a Hollow Ground Blade with that 3 D Printer then You are Up a Gum Tree because the Gem Blade will Mould itself Into it and Bend out of Shape..o_O

Not sure if that's what You have Done..;)

Billy

No, it's not curved, but straight. It's just intended to lift the back end of the blade so that the angle is replicated. We put callipers on the hollow-ground blade to get the fatness, then halved that, then put callipers on the GEM blade to get its fatness, and subtracted half of that from the first number. Then made a triangle wedge that terminates a bit sooner than the cutting part of the GEM blade.

Hard to explain, but hopefully that makes some sort of sense.

No, it's not curved, but straight. It's just intended to lift the back end of the blade so that the angle is replicated. We put callipers on the hollow-ground blade to get the fatness, then halved that, then put callipers on the GEM blade to get its fatness, and subtracted half of that from the first number. Then made a triangle wedge that terminates a bit sooner than the cutting part of the GEM blade.

Hard to explain, but hopefully that makes some sort of sense.
Sounds Good to Me..If it Shaves it Shaves..:D

Billy

If the numbers are not too high, I may be able to persuade my friend to 3d print a few of these shims for the cost of postage (just a first class envelope?). If you guys want to start a list, we can see how many people are interested. Let's say max 10 people?

I'd prefer to send one to someone else (@Fergiebilly perhaps?) to test before printing them for others, just to ensure there's no razor-to-razor issues.

Happy to test it myself as most of my shaves are with a shimmed GEM blade. +1 on @Fergiebilly giving his opinion first.

If the numbers are not too high, I may be able to persuade my friend to 3d print a few of these shims for the cost of postage (just a first class envelope?). If you guys want to start a list, we can see how many people are interested. Let's say max 10 people?

I'd prefer to send one to someone else (@Fergiebilly perhaps?) to test before printing them for others, just to ensure there's no razor-to-razor issues.

Andreas..Knows the Script with Shims..His Opinion is as Good as Mine..Just Remember Tho..It Wont be a Universal Shim that Fits all Razors..:)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom