The 'Fergiebilly' Shim

I took that to mean "It wont work, it will make things ("dramatically") better". I've been using the "original" half blade back Fergie shim in the 1912 and Gem junior, and it fits well. Tho' I haven't tried shaving with the printed shim yet, it should work because it's about replicating the angle of the thick spined old blades.
I Don't Know What the Size of that Shim is he has Made..I will Tell You this Though to Shim a C V HelJestrand and that's What He Designed it for it Takes a Full Spine Width..The 1912 Only Need as 1/2 a Spine to be Correct..Some Lather Catchers Require a Spine & 1/2...There are Many Ways to Make a Shim but I Always Put Across the Spine Method to Keep it Simple..;)

If You are Using a Thicker Shim in a 1912 it will Throw the Dynamics Out..You May get a Shave Out of it But You have Just Went the Other Way .In Other Words..It Will Be the Equivalent to a Spine & 1/2 Instead of 1/2 a Spine.. o_O
The C V HelJestrand Shaves Like Shit anyway without an Original Hollow Ground Blade..:)

Billy

I think it's because using the original half spine shim - which I've used a few times now - has forced me to alter the angle I was used to anyway, so this time I auto-corrected with the Helj printed shim until the angle was ok. As it was, not much was needed.

I had said originally that I thought these printed shims would unset the bevel on a 1912, but decided to give it a go - it felt like it provided more in the way of a feeling of rigidity [(^_-) steady] than much angle change.

I've been stropping up original blades for the past few days (Chrome Ox, Ferric Ox , leather) and this shim, with a GEM/Personna blade feels more like a stropped blade.
It might be imagination, I'll shave with it all this weekend and see.

I Don't Know What the Size of that Shim is he has Made..I will Tell You this Though to Shim a C V HelJestrand and that's What He Designed it for it Takes a Full Spine Width..The 1912 Only Need as 1/2 a Spine to be Correct..Some Lather Catchers Require a Spine & 1/2...There are Many Ways to Make a Shim but I Always Put Across the Spine Method to Keep it Simple..;)

If You are Using a Thicker Shim in a 1912 it will Throw the Dynamics Out..You May get a Shave Out of it But You have Just Went the Other Way .In Other Words..It Will Be the Equivalent to a Spine & 1/2 Instead of 1/2 a Spine.. o_O
The C V HelJestrand Shaves Like Shit anyway without an Original Hollow Ground Blade..:)

Billy

I think it's because using the original half spine shim - which I've used a few times now - has forced me to alter the angle I was used to anyway, so this time I auto-corrected with the Helj printed shim until the angle was ok. As it was, not much was needed.

I had said originally that I thought these printed shims would unset the bevel on a 1912, but decided to give it a go - it felt like it provided more in the way of a feeling of rigidity [(^_-) steady] than much angle change.

I've been stropping up original blades for the past few days (Chrome Ox, Ferric Ox , leather) and this shim, with a GEM/Personna blade feels more like a stropped blade.
It might be imagination, I'll shave with it all this weekend and see.
You're a braver man than me! That angle was so steep with the wintoid shim I couldn't bring myself to, also I was struggling to get it sat completely flush and level... Interested to hear if anyone else gives this a go with the 1912s etc but as @Fergiebilly has said, the angle will be a lot steeper than that which you'd get using his half spine method.

I finally printed three out today using the 3D printer at work. Out of those three, only one came out usable and I came home and loaded it on my Kampfe Star. Definitely holds the blade securely and blade looks even and edge looks like it will cut whiskers. Will try it out on SE Sunday.

I finally printed three out today using the 3D printer at work. Out of those three, only one came out usable and I came home and loaded it on my Kampfe Star. Definitely holds the blade securely and blade looks even and edge looks like it will cut whiskers. Will try it out on SE Sunday.
Great to have an update from someone! Looking forward to hearing how it shaves.

Apologies for the delay gents. Been busy.
I was busting to have a go but had my go with the bunny.

Thanks @wintoid for this.
I used it today.
Pretty darn good.

I was tricked into thinking it wasn't doing the job.
Then I realised that the sound it makes is plasticky.
But it was. (It was only subconscious. Funny one that)

I shall leave that in and have a few more goes with it.

Back
Top Bottom