Tech June-kies?

I see a red door and I want it painted black…

Wrong War.

You're thinking ...

aec401ce33c804646798d6d4b8850735.jpg

AJFCJaULiuP1qGczkYcuIwurG4zqGHbA4MG8NenjTb75YxoUujXjInPL59XpqPqiPCE-RcwXu96ZqIgbiue-30MqFrZzIx19_8WCEyuADKP4DF0-j-cQON1OfToPYKtLUygtPMwDE18Gx3f2qjOKj2KsMWjT2Q=w800

Head weight is different to the non-Japanned pre-War head at 9g for the top cap and also plate versus the usual 11g for both. Blade gap is also 0.0.25" same as my Canadian pre-War (1932/triangular) versus 0.030" pre-War USA.
I forgot about measuring my gap :unsure: I'll look today,... maybe. ;)

Here's an interesting pre-War/Contract Tech ...

AJFCJaVTgqm-PssiDaQTBYuxapTl3_ewSC-3cWHVrNF2PhpyYopRzOWR3_-3uS4hb8zFUp5erl7XjytRqFrVEZ1xh4l9XejFl4BeAkbRCWPA9ZK6U8klAn82h_BWPd0PCx_I5Zmb6VnGNPAY11tgEXXuXbrmQw=w800

I'll have to walk you through this ...

First, I know you'll say it's a home-made or repaired handle, or not the right type ... but this is NOT the only one that I've seen in this exact format. Mine came in a brown case. All have had these pre-War USA heads and the handle is the second one in from the left - yeah, that one that looks like a ball-end abruptly finished with a dished end.

I've put (a) a ball-end next to it to show that it is girthier and also the knurled section does not line up, ergo it's not a hasilty finished ball-end; (b) a British fat handle to show the top is the same, slightly less muffin-topped than its USA counterpart; (c) USA fat handle to show the more muffin-topped handle top for comparison.

Again, it's it NOT the only one I've seen in this format - Gillette case, Tech head and that handle.

Here's yet another that I have seen:

View attachment 104236View attachment 104234View attachment 104235

So, unlikely actually a Gillette handle ... but given I've seen them as found in this type of Gillette case with pre-War/contract head, I do pause to wonder whether they were kitted together in military stores.

Curious.
Contract Techs can have parts made from yellow brass, red brass, aluminum, zamac, plastic, or steel, some of the handles were sourced from an outside vendor, including the fluted handle. I have seen several with the capped tube handle you're talking about, but never examined one in person, they're probably from an outside vendor.

Interesting. Mine is categorically 0.025" and while there might be a smidge of play it is absolutely not enough to push the 0.030" feeler in. It makes sense that it should be 0.030" as that was how those triangle hole pre-War razors rolled.
Is it the right cap? What happens if you switch caps?

Is it the right cap? What happens if you switch caps?

pjgh said:
I had to re-test my Canadian 1932 patent Tech as other sources were pointing this at 0.030" but mine is most definitely 0.025" ... until that is, I put a long bar/slot post-War cap (date code W1) on it and then it measures 0.030". That in itself is interesting because (well, because that post-War example of the first date code measures 0.025" iteself, but also) it is very easy to get mismatched caps/plates over the years, especially once these things have been through the hands of collectors who assemble better looking examples out of what they have without full knowledge of the details.

I don't have a point of authority on which cap should be on the Canadian 1932, but all of the examples on Mr Razor have the twin bar/slot cap (akin to the 1940s British) rather than the long bar/slot (as per the American examples). I believe I have the correct cap. Maybe the chap(s) who have measured theirs at 0.030" have mismatched examples? Anyone else with a Canadian 1932, can you check?
https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/interesting-tech-vid.57300/post-893099

Should the Canadian be a long-bar (as per the US) or twin-bar (as per GB)?

As it would cost a fair bit to have either of my FB Techs replated, I picked up another much nicer one in anticipation of this month long pilgrimage. I might have also bought another English one with diamond base plate and fat handle which looks little used. So if it’s English and has a diamond base plate but a fat handle, is it a Franken-Tech or were they issued thus? Either way, I’m delighted to rehome another of these marvellous shaver ravers.

My other major finding and big question mark moment on the blade gaps thread was around the Psycho ...

pjgh said:
The other very interesting outcome is the Psycho. I have a B3 model, which puts it at 1956 yet the top cap is reminiscent of the cap from the 1970s (1966 on) which has the flat (no bar) underside. Unless, of course, it's a 1981 model? The fat handle would have been out of favour by the 1980s and would have been in vogue in the 1950s, so ... I'll take it as a 1950s razor but it does seen to be a bit of an anomaly with the top cap.

Looking at Mr Razor, both his examples of the Psycho (one from 1958 and one from 1973) have the same baseplate with the four corner cut outs to suit the 1970s style cap. Mine is even earlier at 1956. So, we were seeing the 1966 on style cap/plate out there a decade beforehand!
https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/interesting-tech-vid.57300/post-893099

IMG_3266.jpeg

... which I really should use in June. One for the Wildcard Week.

As it would cost a fair bit to have either of my FB Techs replated, I picked up another much nicer one in anticipation of this month long pilgrimage. I might have also bought another English one with diamond base plate and fat handle which looks little used. So if it’s English and has a diamond base plate but a fat handle, is it a Franken-Tech or were they issued thus? Either way, I’m delighted to rehome another of these marvellous shaver ravers.

Common on the Canadian models ... and for French market*

Here's an example from Mr Razor:

1940s%20French%20Tech.jpg

* Notice "Made in France" ... some French market were "Made in England" and I think that's down to whether that's French, or French-Canadian ... but most likely, it's a Frankenpairing.

My early Techs all have the same cap.

View attachment 104292

View attachment 104293

... and that is an interesting detail in itself. Here's a selection of mine:

IMG_3268.jpeg

Notice the two on the top are long bar? Twin-bar on the lower two. Canadian pre-War is bottom right.

So, if I swap the cap with the one on the bottom left ... drumroll ... still 0.025". Bottom left and top row are all 0.030".

Quick Question?
Seeing that most modern DE razors are derived from the original "Tech" are any modern razors allowed? Per se, the Feather AS - a wonderful copy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom