Blade Gap Measurments

I decided to do some blade gap measurements myself on my Gillette Tech razors and found some surprises. My new Chinese Tech measured the same as my pre-war USA Tech at 0.024". My Made in England "flat bottom" Tech was about 0.024" as well. I then measured my pre-war Canadian Tech and it was at 0.026". The surprise was that my Made in England "ball end" heavy Tech measured the same as the Canadian pre-war!! I always knew it was a great razor, but to be frank I had never used it that much. That will soon change. ;) I measured a Lord Tech clone as an aside and it was 0.032". It is surely a more aggressive version for sure as my shaves with it have shown. I also measured a Schick Krona at 0.025" and a '54 Super-Speed "Flare Tip" at 0.025" A shocker was the Feather Popular, often termed as vey mild, measured 0.029".

If you torque down the handle too tight it directly affects blade gap on one side more than one would think. Here is where I will use the old gunsmith turnscrew term "snug". Just snug it up, don't gorilla it.

Blade gap is by no means an "end all/be all" answer to a razor's perceived aggression & feeler gauges are hardly NASA spec for those wanting to know precisely to an angstrom and as well depends how good the operator is. FWIW, I did this two different times with two different blades to be objective and on the USA pre-war Tech there was a + or - of 0.002" from side to side. YMMV.

Last edited:
I decided to measure the gap on my two RazoRock razors out of curiosity. Their DE89 clone head measured 0.024", the same as a pre-war USA Tech. The result for their new Teck II was startling to say the least as the gap was a canyonesque 0.045"!! However, the latter razor is a perfect example of how blade gap is not everything as it is extremely mild shaving due to very little blade exposure.

I decided to measure the gap on my two RazoRock razors out of curiosity. Their DE89 clone head measured 0.024", the same as a pre-war USA Tech. The result for their new Teck II was startling to say the least as the gap was a canyonesque 0.045"!! However, the latter razor is a perfect example of how blade gap is not everything as it is extremely mild shaving due to very little blade exposure.

Agreed blade exposure is key too. The Standard Razor illustrates this perfectly as it gets its bite from exposure, not gap.

Back
Top Bottom