Tech June-kies?

We've had 'Fat February' and 'Artisan April' ... I'm thinking of 'Milky May' which is somewhat limiting as soaps with milk in are few and far between, but maybe a bit more inclusive ... us Tech June-kies (see what I did there?) could show our appreciation of this razor for a month?

Who's in?
Yes, I'm up for that.

Paul.

While tech-nically a Sterling, that MIC head is absolutely a development of the Tech. It has the same blade gap as a Tech (see: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/interesting-tech-vid.57300/#post-893030) but weight-wise has a dramatically lighter baseplate (see: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/gillette-tech-head-weights.54156/). Since the baseplate barely comes into play, it's weight/construction is largely irrelevant. That, and it's not a million miles off the mid-1950s aluminium baseplate models.

Go for it @semi! Nice one.

I've got my line-up sorted ...

June starts mid-week, so I'll be running from the 28th of May and using the same razor for five days with a related razor for a couple of days at the weekend. This leaves me five days at the end of the month for wildcards.

I'll be going with:
Gillette pre-War Tech (USA) Fat Handle - Red/Yellow Brass < M-F
Gillette pre-War Tech (Canada) 1932 < Sa/Su
Gillette 1940s Tech #44 Set < M-F
Gillette 1940s Tech (GB) Bakelite No.00 Set "H" < Sa/Su
Gillette 1950s Tech (GB) 'Gillette' Stamped - Kaloderma Set < M-F
Gillette 1950s Tech (GB) No.27 Set - Aluminium Base/Handle < Sa/Su
Gillette 1970s Spiral Tech (France) 'Gillette' Stamped < M-F
Gillette 1970s Spiral Tech (France) 'Gillette' Stamped - Open Comb < Sa/Su

... and then for the final five days:
Gillette 1950s Tech (GB) Ridged Comb
Gillette 1940s Tech (GB) Milady Decolette
Gillette 1940s Tech (GB) Bakelite No.26 Bathroom Set
Gillette 1970s Tech (Germany) 'Rotbart' Stamped
Gillette 1980s Spiral Tech (GB) Unstamped 24

I have a crazy idea of using the same blade for the month. Crazy! If I did, what should it be? I suppose it should be a Gillette. I generally don't like Russian Gillette. I have a good stash of Super Gillette Blue, London Bridge & Gillette Rhino. Rhino! Now, there's an idea. Special blade for the special month ... or certainly a blade I've held with very good memories to be re-lived recently when I found a spare in one of my cases and then secured a stash from eBay.

Ok, I’m in. I have a pair of English flat bottoms (ooer…) with fat handles one of which is weighted having had fisherman’s tungsten putty stuffed into the hollow handle with a matchstick. This increases the handle weight by a useful 25g. My English heavy ball end tech should be here hopefully tomorrow and I also managed to dig out my US travel Tech today with its dinky little nickel plated handle. I’ve a few different stainless handles to mix it up if the fancy takes me so aye, let’s ‘ave it. It’s Tech time, laddies…(y):cool:

Oh and @donnie_arko, photos if you grow that beard my man. I dunno, you shave it off for the winter and grow it in for the summer. Ain’t it supposed to be the other way round? :LOL:

Oh and @donnie_arko, photos if you grow that beard my man. I dunno, you shave it off for the winter and grow it in for the summer. Ain’t it supposed to be the other way round? :LOL:

You're telling me. I grew an absolute beast last year. During the heat wave I'd wake up in the middle of the night as my face was so hot. I still didn't shave it off as I knew it'd be a right PITA to clean the bathroom.

I will send you a message in a bit.

OK I may be down with this... ( just throwing in some street talk)
So what are we actually classing as a Tech... (I know this sounds stupid to the Tech guru's)

I'm guessing a Slim Adjustable is out?

I have 2 aluminium handled techs with different plates and top caps.
I also have a Slim twist is this OK to go into this category?
(Also as many modern day basic models are based off the Tech, would the recent Wilkinson Sword Butterfly be included or is that going to invoke the wrath of the Tech Lords?)

Also.....
I often covet others Flat Bottom Techs.
Is there much difference in how one of these shaves compared to any in the list above?

My proposal is that razor being honoured is the Tech.

At a push, there's one TTO which might slip under the radar and that's the Ranger Tech ... but to my mind that's not so much a Tech but an unfinished Rocket. Techmatic is out, too. Not that I think anyone (other than me) shaves with one and only then it's been maybe twice in a decade.

I think we can give some leeway to the G1000 and the Sterling, being Tech heads on long handles.

I often covet others Flat Bottom Techs.
Is there much difference in how one of these shaves compared to any in the list above?
To me, the flat-bottom Tech is the definitive Tech ... particularly the raised flat-bottom. Yeah, the flat-bottom Techs shave with a surety in hand which lighter razors lack. It's minimal, splitting hairs even ... but it is a noticeable difference.

Flat bottom techs they make the shaving world go round. With apologies to Freddie Merkur-y.

I'm happy to use my 63 Ball End Tech for the whole of June, and maybe also stick to one type of blade. Might get to know it better. Great idea. I tend to pick a razor and blade, then use it 4 or 5 times till blade change and then move to another razor so this might be a good discipline.

My proposal is that razor being honoured is the Tech.

At a push, there's one TTO which might slip under the radar and that's the Ranger Tech ... but to my mind that's not so much a Tech but an unfinished Rocket. Techmatic is out, too. Not that I think anyone (other than me) shaves with one and only then it's been maybe twice in a decade.

I think we can give some leeway to the G1000 and the Sterling, being Tech heads on long handles.
The Ranger Tech is just a SuperSpeed with slightly less knurling on the handle.

bb237ec55446f145c9732a0b6f4aaa6f.jpg

This is a real Tech!

20201214_071325-jpg.1194977

Back
Top Bottom