Gillette Tech Head Weights

Mulling over using my Lord Tech clone to have a run through the remainder of my Lord blades (thinking that many have already been tried out with my benchmark Tech, the 1980s [Blank] in the list below), I thought the whole razor felt ... well, kinda quite well made when compared to that late Tech and certainly better than the Sterling that I got with some of the new Gillette Super Blue blades.

I started weighing them out ...

ModelManufactureCap (g)Baseplate (g)
1930s pre-War (NDC)American16 Red Brass11
1930s pre-War (NDC)American14 Yelllow Brass11
1940s post-War (W1)American1111
1940s FB #44British1213
1940s FB BrassBritish1312
1950s FB BrassBritish1312
1940s HybridBritish1418
1950sBritish1411
1950s (B3)American1511
1950s (Z4) GoldAmerican1211
1950s AluminiumBritish143
1960s (K4) GilletteAmerican1010
1960s (L2) Gillette TavellerAmerican1010
1970s (P2) GilletteBritish1010
1970s (T2) Gillette BallBritish108
1970s (U3) Gillette Ball TravellerBritish108
1970s Double Edge/G1000British108
1970s French (Diamond Stamped)British1010
1970s French (Diamond Stamped O3) Open CombBritish?1010
1970s Rotbart (Embossed)British?1110
1980s [Blank]British1110
LordRussia?117
SterlingChina?82

Make of it what you will, but down the later Techs you'll see that the baseplate lightened by the '70s and then I have a couple of anomalies where the baseplate appears to return to 1960s weight. The 1940s British FB versus the American pre/post-War are interesting results.

I think when I get to the Lords, I'll use the Lord cap from that razor and pop it onto the baseplate from my benchmark 1980s Gillette Tech. It's a guess where it is made, though. I think I recall Russia on the packaging which makes sense as the vendor I bought mine from also has all manner of Rapira Sterling clones.

Last edited:
I understand both antiquated (avoirdupois) & metric, but I could never wrap my head around using grams easily. I always harken back to when I was young and was taught that 1 gram = approx. one paperclip or a raisin which as you can see is a pizz poor analogy. :rolleyes:

I understand both antiquated (avoirdupois) & metric, but I could never wrap my head around using grams easily. I always harken back to when I was young and was taught that 1 gram = approx. one paperclip or a raisin which as you can see is a pizz poor analogy. :rolleyes:
I dread to think how your school taught human reproduction :unsure:

... and yet when it comes to picking a scale based on something else observable, like, oh ... say, water freezing (0C) or water boiling (100C) you guys prefer to use fahrenheit. Go figure.

I'm a hybrid, somewhere in the middle of when Britain dropped old money, accepted centigrade (folks just a year or two older than me prefer fahrenheit) but still most definitely feet and inches for lengths. I weigh myself in stones and refer to the weight of my cats (all Maine Coonies) in stones! I don't tend to weigh anything in the kitchen, but we do have scales ... for which I thought grams (or units of Gillette) were a good unit to pick as my scales don't do grains and splitting a part ounce between 8g and 10g would be so fine it wouldn't register.

I do like a pint and a quarter pounder, but would happily down a litre and a kilo of steak!

Minor complaint,... but the red parts are red brass I believe, not copper, copper threads wouldn't last very long.

Maybe that's why I like the pre-war, it's a heavy cap. (16 Gillettes)

I have seen a few red brass Tech bottom plates (which I'd love to have) I wonder what they weigh, I've also seen two OLD types with a red brass tube in the handle with yellow brass ends, I wonder if they would have been less prone to cracking.

We could measure everything in "stone". :unsure:

Centigrade or Celsius?

"The Celsius and centigrade temperature scales are the same scales, where 0 degrees is the freezing point of water and 100 degrees is the boiling point. However, the Celsius scale uses a zero that can be precisely defined. Here's a closer look at the difference between Celsius and centigrade:

The Origin of the Celsius Scale

Anders Celsius, a professor of astronomy at the University of Uppsala, Sweden, devised a temperature scale in 1741. His original scale had 0 degrees at the point where water boiled and 100 degrees where water froze. Because there were 100 degrees between the defining points of the scale, it was a type of centigrade scale. Upon Celsius' death, the endpoints of the scale were switched (0° C became the freezing point of water and 100° C became the boiling point of water), and the scale became known as the centigrade scale.

Why Centigrade Became Celsius

The confusing part here is that the centigrade scale was invented by Celsius, more or less, so it had been called Celsius' scale or the centigrade scale. However, there were a couple of problems with the scale. First, the grade was a unit of plane angle, so a centigrade could be one-hundredth of that unit. More important, the temperature scale was based on an experimentally determined value that could not be measured with the precision deemed sufficient for such an important unit.

In the 1950s, the General Conference of Weights and Measures set out to standardize several units and decided to define Celsius temperature as Kelvin minus 273.15. The triple point of water was defined to be 273.16 K and 0.01° C. The triple point of water is the temperature and pressure at which water exists simultaneously as a solid, liquid, and gas. The triple point can be measured accurately and precisely, so it was a superior reference to the freezing point of water. Since the scale had been redefined, it was given a new official name: the
Celsius temperature scale.

Minor complaint,... but the red parts are red brass I believe, not copper, copper threads wouldn't last very long.

Maybe that's why I like the pre-war, it's a heavy cap. (16 Gillettes)
Ah, okay ... I've just picked up on what it's referred to as. Brass is copper and zinc, so red brass is just "more coppered".

You got the picture, though. The "copper" cap is the one that is much more red and the fat handle also has "more coppered" parts, whereas the "brass" example is yellow brass throughout.

Sound.

Yes, picking up a pre-War, I'd go with the red/yellow one over the all yellow one that I have, any day. It's subltle, but it must make a difference.

Pete Davidson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Mulling over using my Lord Tech clone to have a run through the remainder of my Lord blades (thinking that many have already been tried out with my benchmark Tech, the 1980s [Blank] in the list below), I thought the whole razor felt ... well, kinda quite well made when compared to that late Tech and certainly better than the Sterling that I got with some of the new Gillette Super Blue blades.

I started weighing them out ...

ModelManufactureCap (g)Baseplate (g)
1930s pre-War (NDC)American16 Red Brass11
1930s pre-War (NDC)American14 Yelllow Brass11
1940s post-War (W1)American1111
1940s FB #44British1213
1940s FB BrassBritish1312
1950s FB BrassBritish1312
1940s HybridBritish1418
1950sBritish1411
1950s (B3)American1511
1950s (Z4) GoldAmerican1211
1950s AluminiumBritish143
1960s (K4) GilletteAmerican1010
1960s (L2) Gillette TavellerAmerican1010
1970s (P2) GilletteBritish1010
1970s (T2) Gillette BallBritish108
1970s (U3) Gillette Ball TravellerBritish108
1970s Double Edge/G1000British108
1970s French (Diamond Stamped)British1010
1970s French (Diamond Stamped O3) Open CombBritish?1010
1970s Rotbart (Embossed)British?1110
1980s [Blank]British1110
LordRussia?117
SterlingChina?82

Make of it what you will, but down the later Techs you'll see that the baseplate lightened by the '70s and then I have a couple of anomalies where the baseplate appears to return to 1960s weight. The 1940s British FB versus the American pre/post-War are interesting results.

I think when I get to the Lords, I'll use the Lord cap from that razor and pop it onto the baseplate from my benchmark 1980s Gillette Tech. It's a guess where it is made, though. I think I recall Russia on the packaging which makes sense as the vendor I bought mine from also has all manner of Rapira Sterling clones.
Fine work Paul.

Have you used the MIC Tech? I've used one similar and it's really mild.

The Sterling Indian market Gillette Tech is quite a bit more aggressive! Looks like a Tech but doesn't shave like one.

the MIC tech head weighs 11g total, which could equal the 8+2g of the Sterling (bearing in mind the precision of kitchen scales).

I have two versions of Rapira Tech-style razors (one scarily aggressive, one merely assertive), both of which weigh 16g.

Not sure that's helpful, but it's nice to be a part of something.

Fine work Paul.

Have you used the MIC Tech? I've used one similar and it's really mild.

The Sterling Indian market Gillette Tech is quite a bit more aggressive! Looks like a Tech but doesn't shave like one.
Not the MIC Sterling. I have used an Indian Sterling some years ago but it was when I'd first come to traditional shaving and so I only had the comparatively heavy Merkur 23C to compare with. I found it okay, to be frank. Likely today, I'd find it pretty primitive.

Back
Top Bottom