SOTD w/c Sat 7th April - Fri 13th April

Today, a full castle forbes shave!

wvtjlw.jpg

Pre Alep soap + Castle Forbes cedar-sandalwood shaving cream + Vie&Long 16910 "two bands edition" + Rotbart 15 with Laser Ultra + Thayers Lavender "alum" + Castle Forbes cedar-sandalwood balm

A wonderful shave! Today I had my neck irritated because of yesterday shave and I used more smooth items: Rotbart is a soft razor, very difficult to have bad experiences with it, and the Castle Forbe products are a winning bet. I specially recommend the balm, is incredibly soothing and healing, much better than other I have tested. A shame that it was so expensive, I'll reserve it for calming shaves only until I find a good discount offer to buy the big bottle.

Cheers!

Friday

37C with Feather
Nuage shaving oil
EJ pure badger
TOBS avocado cream
Cold water shave
Ogallala bay rum (lime & peppercorn)
Bulldog moisturiser

A bit gung ho this morning - changed several variables at once, despite thinking to myself I may regret doing so. 2nd shave with the 37C, 1st shave with a Feather, first cold water shave since taking up DE (I had a hankering after an extra refreshing shave). Also, I normally shave every other day and this was 2 in a row.

Result - bit of burn and a few weepers on my neck and under chin. First time I've had to get the styptic out in a long time. I put this down to over shaving the neck area, even though I could tell my skin was saying "stop now" I foolishly pressed on to the equivalent of 5 passes to try to remove the remaining stubbly bits! The bay rum rather shouted at me upon application. DFS result on the smoothness. Going to have to find a way of getting my neck DFS in only 3 passes.

Oh, and I can't detect any benefit from using the Nuage as a pre-shave these days, compared to just lathering up without.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
'Webly'/Wilkinson Sword Edge (NOS)
Irisch Moos SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT

For those of us who hate the 'dead thing like' stench of Tabac, we have the much less offensive Moos as a great substitute. Very good performance with this stuff. Fifth shave with this old blade and no signs of getting dull so far.

BBS results,

Martin

Feather AC DX
Feather Pro Guard
MdC Soap
Simpsons Berkeley
Thayer's Original WH

First shave with the DX, really enjoyed it, it felt more aggressive than my SS, still produced a lovely BBS shave.

[attachment=4745]

Attachments

• IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 11
Re: RE: SOTD w/c Sat 7th April - Fri 13th April

Adrian said:
First shave with the DX, really enjoyed it, it felt more aggressive than my SS, still produced a lovely BBS shave.

Worth the extra money, do you think?

I think Vinny said of the three types he felt the RG was the best for him, but I may misremember. I've only tried the RG, albeit two of then.

[/quote]

I think Vinny said of the three types he felt the RG was the best for him, but I may misremember. I've only tried the RG, albeit two of then.
[/quote]

Having used the Feather AC SS regularly I feel that there is very little difference, the main one being I found the shave to be a bit more aggressive than the SS, but I was expecting that as the SS has a sort of safety bar just above the blade. There is a nice weight to the razor but not having used the RG model it is difficult for me to judge between the two, my comparison is between the DX and SS and as I mentioned I have only shaved the one time with the DX, regarding your question I would have to say no, I don't think it is worth the extra money.

DSC02269.jpg

Shark ss (2)
The Muhle r101 is the 2010 head and its a beautiful shave, slightly loosened for under the chin and you can feel the blade and it follows the contours much better resulting in a real close shave that you can certainly feel, nice :icon_biggrin:

Friday

Time to start trying out my latest Acquisitions of Rockets.

Today it's the turn of the 1953/54 British Made Aristocrat No. 66. This is quite a heavy razor at 74g.

Prep: Hot Shower
Cream: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush Neep Extra Silvertip
Razor: Gillette Aristo No. 66
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

A very comfortable shave. This was a bit more aggressive than I expected, but it only just managed to clear 2 days growth in a normal 3 pass shave. A nice razor to shave with though. Certainly one to hold on to.

13APR2012.jpg

Prep L'Occitane Lavender Soap
Razor Feather As - D1
Feather Blade
Brush Simpson Chubby 1 in Super
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes Shaving Cream
Alum & Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Bavx Balm
Botanics Moisturiser SPF 15
Coty Raw Vanilla Eau De Cologne.

Jamie.

Two pass shave, first time with the DE blade for a few weeks, nice change none the less.

004.jpg

friday

white proraso pre post
Semogue LE boar 2010
Provence Sante Soap
FT rocket + Super personna (1)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 3 passes, a very close and comfortable shave. I took a long time for this one, and also used the pre post before all passes. best shave in a while.

Thanks Adrian!

This evening:

Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (11)
Brush: Neep #1033 soapstone 24mm high mountain badger
Soap: Prof Blighty's Rosewood
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Rosewood
Result: excellent

At first I thought the splash was lacking much scent, but as it warmed on my skin it came alive, and is still present and pleasant a couple of hours on. Very clean, pretty close.

Dr Rick said:
Adrian said:

RG and DX will be more aggressive as there's more blade exposure. Blade sits lower in the SS - plus it's got that 'bulge' which pushes up the skin in front of the cutting edge.

DX wasn't worth the price jump compared to the RG ... for me.

Back
Top Bottom